Rnd 3121 Wariangle Results

Johnb - co.uk

Nov 22, 2020, 11:41:19 AM11/22/20
to Dixonarians, Dave C

Well now, a very even round and Dave is the winner and I gained a D3

Take it away Dave

I found this word while reading Tolkeins "Lost Tales"-- Tolkein apparently worked on the fall of Gondolin using notes on the back of proof sheets from OED (where he was working) the proof sheets referred to etymology of Wariangle: this was about 1921 - see extended etymology - which sounds remarkably like Tolkein so I have posted most of the OED Definition last updated 1921

Obsolete.  1. A name formerly given to the Shrike or Butcher-bird, either the (Great or European) Grey Shrike ( Lanius excubitor) or the smaller red-backed Shrike ( L. collurio). See shrike n.2 Apart from the doubtful Old English form and two obscure passages in Middle English the evidence for the existence of the word is almost solely drawn from dictionaries, glossaries, and dialect collections of doubtful value, some of which perhaps merely echo quot. 1598.

See quotation from Paul a few rounds ago: “Vladimir Nabokov, in a memorable phrase, called the nonsense that harmful drudges carefully transport from one dictionary to another

Etymology: ? Old English weargincel shrike (Sweet: authority not known). Compare Old High German (Middle High German) warchengil , wargengel , wargingel , etc. ‘cruricula’, etc. (Steinmeyer-Sievers, Diefenbach), German wargengel , warkengel (with very many local variants due to different etymologizing alterations; as würgengel , quasi ‘destroying angel’). Compare also Middle Low German worgel , Old High German (Middle High German) wargil , warigel , wergil , worgel (Bavarian dialect wörgl shrike, Salzburg wörgel greenfinch). All these forms appear to be diminutives of Old Germanic *wargo-z murderer: see wary n.

The Old English word, if genuine, perhaps preserves most nearly the original form. For the suffix compare Old English húsincel , túnincel , þéowincel , etc. (all without umlaut). Compare Old High German -inklî(n . It remains, however, very remarkable that in German or in later English there is no trace of -k forms with the single exception of warwinckle in quot. 1618 at sense 1. As there is no evidence of the word later until Chaucer, the Middle English and later forms are perhaps in part due to, or influenced by, some continental form. The prevalent form of the ending, -angle , -ingle , is perhaps partly due to association with hang v. (owing to the habits of the shrike). In early times the first element would assist this etymology: compare Old English weargtréo , warytre n. gallows. Such an association was apparently present in early German: compare such forms as wurgelhâch, wurgelhâhe, warchengil, warkengel, etc.

 1598  T. Speght Wks. G. Chaucer Annot. Bbbb v  Warriangles Be a kind of birdes full of noyse and very rauenous, preying vpon others, which when they haue taken, they vse to hang vpon a thorne or pricke, & teare them in pieces and deuoure them. And the common opinion is, that the thorne wherupon they thus fasten them and eate them, is afterward poysonsome. In Staffordshire and Shropshire the name is common

#

Def for Round 3121 Wariangle

submitter

voted for

Votes from

votes

Total

1

seaweed. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

Dan

4,9

Efrem

1

3*

2

periodic gathering to evaluate readiness of men for combat

Judy

11,12

3

plate armor to protect the elbow

Efrem

1,9

Debbie E

1

1

4

[Obs.] a name formerly given to the Shrike or Butcher-bird, either the (Great or European) Grey Shrike ( Lanius excubitor) or the smaller red-backed Shrike ( L. collurio).

OED Online 2020

Shani, Paul, Dan

2

D3

5

in a fortification, a corner where an intruder would not expect one

Tim B

8,10

6

a sorcerer or magician

Tim L

8,14

Deborah F

1

1

7

Obs. used as a term of contempt or abuse [ME wari 'felon, outlaw, villain' + engle young male prostitute]

Paul

4,14

Alan

1

3*

8

befuddled.

Debbie E

10,3

Mike, Tim B

3

3

9

the Eurasian blue tit (Cyanistes caeruleus).

Mike

8,14

Deborah F, Efrem, Dan

3

3

10

bent; crooked

Tony

Tim B, Debbie E,

Alan

3

3

11

n. a structure where two outer walls meet at an acute angle

Deborah F

6,9

Judy

1

1

12

any self-intersecting irregular polygon wherein each acute angle has a corresponding complementary angle and each obtuse angle has a corresponding supplementary angle

Ryan

Judy

1

1

13

a metal ring welded to the nose of a bomb to reduce its penetration in earth or water

Shani

4*, 14

2*

14

(Archaic) a lowland Jute

Dave

Mike, Tim L, Shani, Paul

4

4

*

===no def===

Alan

7,10

Dan

3*

Judy

0

Efrem

1

(JohnnyB)

D3

Tim B

0

Tim L

1

Paul

3*

Debbie E

3

Mike

3

Tony

3

Deborah F

1

Ryan

1

Shani

2*

Dave

4

Alan

0

--
JohnnyB

Daniel B Widdis

Nov 24, 2020, 12:40:22 AM11/24/20
to Dixonary, Dave C

Is Dave around?  Is Dave OK?

Shani Naylor

Nov 24, 2020, 1:08:37 PM11/24/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I hope Dave is Ok, but I think we should move on with the game. Who was the real winner?

Paul Keating

Nov 24, 2020, 1:13:43 PM11/24/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
The allowed 24-hour gap between rounds has now stretched to 48. Mike Shefler and Tony Abell are tied in Round 3121 with a natural 3 each, and each has 6 in the rolling scores. So on the basis of total scores I reckon Mike is next in line.

France International/Mike Shefler

Nov 24, 2020, 2:38:51 PM11/24/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Actually, Tony is ahead in the rolling scores (12 vs 9). If Tony or Dave do not post a word by the end of the day, I will do so.

--Mike

On 11/24/2020 1:13 PM, Paul Keating wrote:
The allowed 24-hour gap between rounds has now stretched to 48. Mike Shefler and Tony Abell are tied in Round 3121 with a natural 3 each, and each has 6 in the rolling scores. So on the basis of total scores I reckon Mike is next in line.

Efrem G Mallach

Nov 24, 2020, 3:10:41 PM11/24/20
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
But, Mike, aren't you reading the leftmost column - which makes six-round rolling scores including Round 3121? Per Rule 10(b), (p. 11 of the rules, discussion continues onto p. 12) only the previous four rounds count, plus the round just over for s total of five. On that basis you and Tony both have 6 points as Paul wrote, plus 3 each for the current round, so we go to the next tiebreaker - lifetime total scores.

Or did I miss something obvious? Wouldn't be the first time.

Efrem

========================

France International/Mike Shefler

Nov 24, 2020, 3:19:32 PM11/24/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
The 5-round rolling scores, including the just-completed round, are used to break ties. Since the rolling scores are often not published immediately after a round concludes, I've added a 4-round rolling score column which can be used to break ties (using the previously completed round's rolling scores), since any ties in the just-completed round would not be affected (their scores that round being equal).

Efrem G Mallach

Nov 24, 2020, 3:24:49 PM11/24/20
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Exactly. However, your statement that Tony is ahead in the rolling scores wasn't based on the numbers in that column. It was based on the 5-round published totals in the column to its left. On the basis of those four-round scores, you're tied.

France International/Mike Shefler

Nov 24, 2020, 3:38:58 PM11/24/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
So say, for example, at the end of round 3122, before that round's rolling scores are posted, there is a tie. How do you resolve this tie without having the rolling scores for that round? The answer is the use the 4-Round total from the previous round's rolling scores. But since we do have the rolling scores for the current round, we use the 5-round total. Note that the 4-round total for the previous round (3120) shows Abell with 9 and me with 6. If you didn't have the round 3121 rolling scores available, you would use the round 3120 4-round total to break the tie.