Rd. 3052: Vote for froe!

nancygoat

Feb 22, 2020, 4:45:49 PM2/22/20
to Dixonary
Hey all,

This may be my first round where a lot of people are playing and yet not one DQ.  I just hope I found all your definitions in the three mailboxes you posted to!

So please vote for your two favorites from the list of 15 below that is hiding the real one.

The deadline is 11 p.m.EST on Sunday February 23.  That is 4 a.m. GMT on Monday the 24th and all other times based on that.

Happy voting -- there is a lot of variety here.  Simple words will do that...

Nancy

1. Lava with a smooth ropy surface.

2. a reciprocating flywheel found in some clocks and watches.

3. A Viking ship powered by both oars and a sail.

4. A whaling harpoon.

5. Any luminous radiation emitted from a substance after the removal of the exciting agent.

6. Foods where an imitation is an ingredient or a filling

7. a measure of balance in watercraft consisting of both pitch and angle, relative to its bearing

8. a cleaving tool with a handle at right angles to the blade.

9. a person who will not take advice

10. (Bot.) The egg-shaped fleshy fruit of a West Indian plant of the Pineapple family; also, the plant itself, which has rigid, pointed, and spiny-toothed leaves, and is used for hedges.

11. in upholstery, a set of tacks used entirely as ornamentation.

12. a cold eel dish usually served as part of a smörgåsbord.

13. shrubby tree widely distributed along tropical shores; yields a light tough wood used for canoe outriggers and a fiber used for cordage and caulk; often cultivated for ornament.

14. in the aging of sherry, "the space of two fists" (roughly one-sixth of the volume) left empty at the top of the cask to allow flor (a film of yeast) to develop on top of the wine.

15. One who means well, but often accidentally does the wrong things.

Tim B

Feb 22, 2020, 4:53:33 PM2/22/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
8 and 14, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

Feb 22, 2020, 4:54:04 PM2/22/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
11. in upholstery, a set of tacks used entirely as ornamentation.
14. in the aging of sherry, "the space of two fists" (roughly one-sixth of the volume) left empty at the top of the cask to allow flor (a film of yeast) to develop on top of the wine.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Tim Lodge

Feb 22, 2020, 5:12:16 PM2/22/20
to Dixonary
2 and 14, please.

2. a reciprocating flywheel found in some clocks and watches.

14. in the aging of sherry, "the space of two fists" (roughly one-sixth of the volume) left empty at the top of the cask to allow flor (a film of yeast) to develop on top of the wine.

-- Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

Feb 22, 2020, 5:30:16 PM2/22/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 12 from Epcot’s Norway

Hugo Kornelis

Feb 22, 2020, 6:37:24 PM2/22/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Having no clue at all, I'll waste my votes on the eel dish and the person who, like me, ignores all advice.

#9 and #12

Cheers,
Hugo

Shani Naylor

Feb 22, 2020, 8:20:05 PM2/22/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Scandinavian for me: 3 & 12

3. A Viking ship powered by both oars and a sail.

12. a cold eel dish usually served as part of a smörgåsbord.

Debbie

Feb 22, 2020, 9:06:40 PM2/22/20
to Dixonary
All things sharp: 4 and 11

(Have we ever had more than 15 offerings to choose from?)

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:38-39)

France International/Mike Shefler

Feb 22, 2020, 10:59:21 PM2/22/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 12 and 14.

Efrem G Mallach

Feb 23, 2020, 9:41:20 AM2/23/20
to Dixonary
I'll go mechanical: 2 and 8.

Efrem

=========================

On Feb 22, 2020, at 4:45 PM, nancygoat <nanc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey all,

This may be my first round where a lot of people are playing and yet not one DQ.  I just hope I found all your definitions in the three mailboxes you posted to!

So please vote for your two favorites from the list of 15 below that is hiding the real one.

The deadline is 11 p.m.EST on Sunday February 23.  That is 4 a.m. GMT on Monday the 24th and all other times based on that.

Happy voting -- there is a lot of variety here.  Simple words will do that...

Nancy

2. a reciprocating flywheel found in some clocks and watches.

Christopher Carson

Feb 23, 2020, 10:17:40 AM2/23/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I’ll go with vox pop – 12 and 14.

Chris

Stephen Dixon

Feb 23, 2020, 11:22:38 AM2/23/20
to Dixonary Group
I'm doing a Thelma & Louise leap and going for two improbable-sounding answers to the question.

3. The Viking ship, although I think there is another name for this.

8. The cleaving tool, because it sounds so weird to me that I can't actually picture it.

#3  &  #8

Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

“Wherever you are is the entry point”  - Kabir Das

Dave Cunningham

Feb 23, 2020, 5:58:27 PM2/23/20
to Dixonary
DQ alas.