Round 3034 FEER Vote now.

Benj. Evans

Dec 10, 2019, 7:00:22 AM12/10/19
to Dixonary
Here are definitions for the word FEER, one of which is from a dictionary.

1. A breach, opening, or gap in a wall, fence, hedge, etc.
2. A gift of land or money to younger children of kings or nobles to provide for their maintenance.
3.  An alphabetic system of inscribed notches for vowels and lines for consonants used chiefly on the edges of memorial stones from the fifth to the early seventh century.
the thin, fibrous lint surrounding cottonseed
4. Bald [Obs.]
5. [chiefly Scottish] to mark off land for plowing
6. partially fermented whey, used in the treatment of infant diarrhea in
undernourished children.
7. [Scot.] a cleared area left after burning heather.
8. To pass swiftly away.
9. To smirk or laugh in contempt or derision.
10. [Jersey law]   a bailiff empowered to collect fees due to any person or court.
  • "do not look up before voting
  • vote for two of the definitions with an email to the group"
  • deadline 19:00 EST December 11 "(and elsewhere as appropriate)"

Judy Madnick

Dec 10, 2019, 9:09:14 AM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try these:

5. [chiefly Scottish] to mark off land for plowing
7. [Scot.] a cleared area left after burning heather.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Debbie

Dec 10, 2019, 9:25:14 AM12/10/19
to Dixonary
Is it my imagination or are 2 definitions run together in the list? The numbers seem to be missing.

Debbie

Dec 10, 2019, 9:27:10 AM12/10/19
to Dixonary
I will go with 6 and 7 nevertheless.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019, 7:00 AM Benj. Evans <be.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

France International/Mike Shefler

Dec 10, 2019, 9:41:50 AM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 3 and 4.

Tim B

Dec 10, 2019, 1:16:39 PM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Shani Naylor

Dec 10, 2019, 1:16:56 PM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I also thought #3 contained a second def, starting at "the thin..."
Ben, can you clarify if #3 is correct as one def.

Daniel B. Widdis

Dec 10, 2019, 2:32:46 PM12/10/19
to Dixonary
1 and the second half of 3.

Ryan McGill

Dec 10, 2019, 2:49:12 PM12/10/19
to Dixonary
I'm going with the first half of 3 and both halves of 6.

3.  An alphabetic system of inscribed notches for vowels and lines for consonants used chiefly on the edges of memorial stones from the fifth to the early seventh century.

Tim Lodge

Dec 10, 2019, 4:14:27 PM12/10/19
to Dixonary
As I'm personally getting close to 4 and 8, I'll vote for them.

4. Bald [Obs.]

8. To pass swiftly away.

--  Tim L

Benj. Evans

Dec 10, 2019, 5:29:56 PM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
"the thin, fibrous lint surrounding cottonseed" is 3a

Benj. Evans

Dec 10, 2019, 5:34:43 PM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I clicked on this thread for the first time since this morning with a mild amount of fear. Sorry for the confusion.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 at 07:00, Benj. Evans <be.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

Judy Madnick

Dec 10, 2019, 6:36:27 PM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

Judy

Here are definitions for the word FEER, one of which is from a dictionary.

5. [chiefly Scottish] to mark off land for plowing

Shani Naylor

Dec 10, 2019, 11:03:27 PM12/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3a & 10 for me.

Tony Abell

Dec 11, 2019, 8:30:45 AM12/11/19
to Benj. Evans

I'll take 3a and 4, please:

> 3a. the thin, fibrous lint surrounding cottonseed
> 4. Bald [Obs.]

Christopher Carson

Dec 11, 2019, 11:32:25 AM12/11/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com