Rnd 3030 - FITCH Time to vote

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 14, 2020, 9:14:54 AM6/14/20
to Dixonarians

Dear people,

I waited a bit - but below are 11 definitions for FITCH Please vote for two of them as a public vote (ie to the group) choose what you think might be the correct definition, alternatively, choose something that takes your fancy

Deadline will be 2200 GMT on Monday

--
JohnnyB

1              In basket-making, a kind of plait in which two canes or osiers are twisted together in the same direction so as to enclose a crossing weft at each half-turn

2               A brothel. [Obs.]

3               A person or thing not highly regarded

4               An attack of illness (obs., N. Yorks.)

5               Target; bullseye

6              A structure composed of rod members arranged to form one or more triangles which are connected rigidly or by pins at joints.

7              A structure composed of rod members arranged to form one or more triangles which are connected rigidly or by pins at joints.

8             A concave horizontal lathe used in producing bowls and cups

9             [Architecture] a spacer used to attach wooden panelling to a brick or stone wall, leaving an air space.

10            In joinery, to trim off sharp edges.

11            A beehive made of twisted straw with movable frames.

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 14, 2020, 9:19:20 AM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
John,

I don't see my definition, which you acknowledged in your progress report, but I do see two identical definitions as nos. 6 and 7. Could one of them have been pasted over mine?

Efrem

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 14, 2020, 9:24:45 AM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Wondering why you didn't combine  6 an 7.;-)

Judy Madnick

Jun 14, 2020, 9:37:22 AM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Looks more like a duplication.

Jun 14, 2020, 10:31:53 AM6/14/20
to Dixonary
I think we all need to wait a bit.

Paul Keating

Jun 14, 2020, 11:26:43 AM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Wait for ... ?

No point in substituting the missing fake def for the copy. We already know it's fake, whatever it is.

We could declare a redeal, with defs substituted or recycled as the submitter chooses. But any def appearing fresh in the redeal would be most likely fake.

The alternative is to proceed with all votes for either of the duplicates assigned to one of them.

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 14, 2020, 11:33:21 AM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
How do we know that? We know, or can reasonably surmise, that the duplicated definition was inadvertently pasted over another. We have no way of knowing whether the one so erased was real or fake. I suggest that John publish a corrected list, with the erased definition restored to its place, and we vote on that. As it is, it is possible that the erased one is real, so we could possibly be unable to vote for the real definition.

Efrem

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 14, 2020, 11:51:12 AM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Don't know who this is - please see my answer to Efrem above

JohnnyB

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 14, 2020, 11:51:31 AM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

True

John

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 14, 2020, 12:00:41 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Ah now

I do not see how I can republish - interesting - has this happened before? and if so what happened?

meanwhile, "da dealah is god"

and until otherwise advised we go ahead with what we have... how I score is my problem but consider that I forgot to amalgamate 6 and 7

JohnnyB

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 14, 2020, 12:04:45 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I don't see why you can't. We know that either definition 6 or 7 was inadvertently replaced by the duplicated one. We do not know, unless I'm missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time!) if the definition that was so replaced was real or fake. Just publish a list that has the replaced definition restored to its rightful place. Since nobody has voted yet, and there have been no clues to the correct definition, no harm will be done.

Efrem

Johnb - co.uk

Stephen Dixon

Jun 14, 2020, 1:01:39 PM6/14/20
to Dixonary Group
Oh yeah! That is just one of the errors I made in my super-botched dealing of Chamfer in Round 28.

Steve  Dixon

      -- "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool."  ~Anonymous

Judy Madnick

Jun 14, 2020, 1:22:15 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I'll vote.  I wonder whether the duplicate definitions are real or fake!!

I'll go with 6 (or 7 if you prefer!) and 9.

6   A structure composed of rod members arranged to form one or more triangles which are connected rigidly or by pins at joints.

9   [Architecture] a spacer used to attach wooden panelling to a brick or stone wall, leaving an air space.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

happy.png

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 14, 2020, 1:34:18 PM6/14/20
to Dixonary

I’ll have the weft and the wight.

1 and 3.

ALAN MALLACH

Jun 14, 2020, 2:56:07 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 1 and 9.
Alan

Shani Naylor

Jun 14, 2020, 3:21:22 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Gosh Stephen! How many decades ago was that? It must have been extremely traumatic to have remembered it all these years.
I do recall a round a few years back when the dealer forgot to include the real def in the list. It was very funny for the rest of us...

Shani Naylor

Jun 14, 2020, 3:29:26 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Just adding, it was funny because the dealer was Keith & he was a funny guy.

Paul Keating

Jun 14, 2020, 5:01:10 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Efrem,

We do have a way of knowing that the pasted-over def was fake, because you posted a public message pointing out that your acknowledged def had been apparently misplaced. So the overwhelming probability is that it was your def that went missing.

Paul Keating

Jun 14, 2020, 5:03:49 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I vote for the mystifying 1 and the only slightly implausible 9.

Mike Shefler

Jun 14, 2020, 5:06:34 PM6/14/20
to Dixonary
I'll vote for 6 and 7. And if that's the correct def, I'll expect to get 4 points.

--Mike

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 14, 2020, 5:14:40 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yes, Paul, so I did. I had completely forgotten that. It's almost certainly mine that was replaced by the inadvertent paste.

I will give myself three dope-slaps as punishment.

Efrem

========================

Debbie

Jun 14, 2020, 5:30:47 PM6/14/20
to Dixonary
1 and 9 if this is the correct thread to vote in.

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:38-39)

Debbie

Jun 14, 2020, 5:32:37 PM6/14/20
to Dixonary
Paul, I said "wait" in hopes that John would come back and comment on the problem, which he did.

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 14, 2020, 5:33:42 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Vox pop: 1 and 9

Efrem

========================

On Jun 14, 2020, at 9:14 AM, Johnb - co.uk <jo...@john-barrs.co.uk> wrote:

Dear people,

I waited a bit - but below are 11 definitions for FITCH Please vote for two of them as a public vote (ie to the group) choose what you think might be the correct definition, alternatively, choose something that takes your fancy

Deadline will be 2200 GMT on Monday

--
JohnnyB

1              In basket-making, a kind of plait in which two canes or osiers are twisted together in the same direction so as to enclose a crossing weft at each half-turn

9             [Architecture] a spacer used to attach wooden panelling to a brick or stone wall, leaving an air space.

Judy Madnick

Jun 14, 2020, 5:34:01 PM6/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I should probably withdraw my votes and reconsider. <sigh>

Judy

Tim Lodge

Jun 14, 2020, 5:43:13 PM6/14/20
to Dixonary
I'll go for 5 and 6/7.

5               Target; bullseye

6              A structure composed of rod members arranged to form one or more triangles which are connected rigidly or by pins at joints.

--  Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 14, 2020, 11:11:27 PM6/14/20
to Dixonary

You’re just trying to make the scorekeeper’s job harder in the “combine the votes” case, aren’t you.

Oh, wait….

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Date: Sunday, June 14, 2020 at 2:06 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Shani Naylor

Ryan McGill

Jun 15, 2020, 3:21:52 AM6/15/20
to Dixonary
8 & 11, I guess.

Christopher Carson

Jun 15, 2020, 6:42:57 AM6/15/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Vox Pop for me.

1 and 9

Chris

Dave Cunningham

Jun 15, 2020, 11:00:57 AM6/15/20
to Dixonary
2 and 11 for Mr. Abercrombie.

Dave (MS reset everything with the latest update so I hope this posts correctly)