Rnd 3003-GARBOIL Da Defs

Christopher Carson

Aug 2, 2019, 5:38:17 PM8/2/19
to Dixo...@googlegroups.com

There are a total of 13 definitions for GARBOIL. Please vote for two, by public reply to this message, before deadline, which is 3:00 PM EDT on Sunday, August 4, 2019, or Noon     PDT .

1. A hook designed to be applied every six inches to hold

    a marble slab in place on a wall until the thinset adheres

    to the backerboard.

2. A red onion.

3. _Archaic_ Confusion; uproar.

4. (Embryology) A two-walled cuplike depression that

    Develops into the pigmented and sensory layers of the retina.

5. A curved step on a staircase.

6. Oil from the American garpike used to soften leather.

7. A type of vegetable oil made from various types of

    beans.

8. An awning.

9. Self-leveling head that is a part of the support system

    of a cantilevered, upper story terrace.

10. A whirlpool that forms periodically in the strait of

    Corryvreckan between the islands of Jura and Scarba off the

    west coast of Scotland.

11. To cook by enclosing in a plastic pouch and submersing

    in a boiling water bath. This differs from the sous-vide

    method in that sous-vide uses vacuum-sealed containers and

    lower temperatures over longer periods of time, whereas

    garboiling does not require a vacuum, but uses boiling

    water exclusively. From GARBAGE [bag] + BOIL.

12. Waste metal attached to a casting.

13. In an excited or tumultuous state.

Tim Lodge

Aug 2, 2019, 6:28:02 PM8/2/19
to Dixonary
Chris

I don't see my def here - I sent it to your live.com address on Wed 31/07/2019 at 23:23 BST

I'll vote for 4 and 5.

4. (Embryology) A two-walled cuplike depression that Develops into the pigmented and sensory layers of the retina.

5. A curved step on a staircase.

--  Tim L

France International/Mike Shefler

Aug 2, 2019, 7:48:40 PM8/2/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for the similar 3 and 13.

Shani Naylor

Aug 2, 2019, 8:49:24 PM8/2/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
There's some very long-winded defs here. I'll go with the simple 2 & 8.

2. A red onion.
8. An awning.

Daniel B Widdis

Aug 2, 2019, 9:26:49 PM8/2/19
to Dixo...@googlegroups.com

I’m confused so I’ll vote #3.

So I’ll award my other vote to #10 for sheer creativity.

And I will quit this game if #11 is actually true.

From: <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Christopher Carson <clca...@live.com>
Date: Friday, August 2, 2019 at 2:38 PM
To: "Dixo...@googlegroups.com" <Dixo...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Dixonary] Rnd 3003-GARBOIL Da Defs

There are a total of 13 definitions for GARBOIL. Please vote for two, by public reply to this message, before deadline, which is 3:00 PM EDT on Sunday, August 4, 2019, or Noon     PDT .

Johnb - co.uk

Aug 3, 2019, 5:20:01 AM8/3/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#3 and #13 are similar enough to cause confusion so I will award my votes to the originator of these defs

JohnnyB

Debbie

Aug 3, 2019, 6:01:17 AM8/3/19
to Christopher Carson, Dixonary
2 and 5 plz

Efrem G Mallach

Aug 3, 2019, 2:13:20 PM8/3/19
to Christopher Carson, Dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with oil, 6 and 7.

Efrem

On Aug 2, 2019, at 5:38 PM, Christopher Carson <clca...@live.com> wrote:

There are a total of 13 definitions for GARBOIL. Please vote for two, by public reply to this message, before deadline, which is 3:00 PM EDT on Sunday, August 4, 2019, or Noon     PDT .

6. Oil from the American garpike used to soften leather.

Dave Cunningham

Aug 3, 2019, 2:29:17 PM8/3/19
to Dixonary
3 and 13 are combinable maybe - so get my votes.

Dave

nancygoat

Aug 3, 2019, 9:00:46 PM8/3/19
to Dixonary