Round 3028 - OBELISCOLYCHNY - RESULTS

Judy Madnick

Nov 19, 2019, 9:46:13 AM11/19/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Since everyone who submitted a definition has voted, I'm going to end this round since my busy day hasn't yet begun! I never expected everyone to vote so quickly.

I'm sure glad this round is over! So here's what happened: The "real" definition was "lightouse." (I found this definition on websites in addition to http://phrontistery.info/o.html shown below). The first "fake" definition I received was "[Arch] a lighthouse built on a pillar" from John Barrs. In combining the definitions, I didn't know whether I should use the simple "lighthouse" option or John's more complex definition. Had the combined definitions not included the "real" word, it wouldn't have been an issue (in my mind!). I don't know whether I made the right decision...but it is what it is!

Tim Lodge, with 5 points, is the next dealer. Hugo also received 5 points but is lower in the rolling scores.

Here are the results in table form as a .jpg -- or see the attached .pdf file.
obeliscolychny-3028.pdf

Daniel B Widdis

Nov 19, 2019, 10:19:45 AM11/19/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

“I don't know whether I made the right decision...but it is what it is!”

Frequently when there are two non-combined definitions that I think should have been combined, I tend to believe the shorter one because I assume most dealers won’t combine and use the longer def.   So unexpected, but you’ve thrown a wrench in that strategy!

Image removed by sender.

Johnb - co.uk

Nov 19, 2019, 10:21:37 AM11/19/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Judy

congrats on the D0 (even though it means that I got no points)

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Nov 19, 2019, 10:24:42 AM11/19/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

“I don't know whether I made the right decision...but it is what it is!”

Frequently when there are two non-combined definitions that I think should have been combined, I tend to believe the shorter one because I assume most dealers won’t combine and use the longer def.   So unexpected, but you’ve thrown a wrench in that strategy!

Judy Madnick

Nov 19, 2019, 10:27:54 AM11/19/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John. I couldn't believe that the very first "fake" definition I received was yours...with such a similar definition!

Judy

congrats on the D0 (even though it means that I got no points)

JohnnyB

Hugo Kornelis

Nov 19, 2019, 6:13:37 PM11/19/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Whew! Dodged a bullet!

In the few cases where I was faced with combination candidates, I tend to retain the generic one over the specific one.
YMMV.

Cheers,
Hugo

Judy Madnick

Nov 19, 2019, 9:35:33 PM11/19/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
The fact that I was combining the real definition with his fake definition made it a more difficult decision, IMO. Whatever the case, so far no one has complained. LOL!

Judy

Rule #2:  Don’t complain about what God does. 😉

From: <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Judy Madnick <jmad...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 6:35 PM
To: <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

The fact that I was combining the real definition with his fake definition made it a more difficult decision, IMO. Whatever the case, so far no one has complained. LOL!

Judy

Judy M.

Nov 19, 2019, 10:17:43 PM11/19/19
to Dixonary - Google Groups