[Dixonary] Round 3248 HAPTEN voting time

Efrem Mallach

Apr 29, 2022, 9:06:05 AM4/29/22
to 'Efrem Mallach' via Dixonary
Fellow players,

Eleven definitions of HAPTEN follow, one of which is correct. They have been edited for format consistency and are in ascending order by character count. Please vote for two by Reply to this message before the deadline, just under 47 hours from now. If you realize now that you know what HAPTEN means, then instead of voting publicly, please tell me by private email to emal...@verizon.net.

1. [Entomology] a fertile male termite.

2. to occur unexpectedly or without warning.

3. a particular clamp used to fasten metal bands.

4. [Obs.] happenstance; an occurrence not expected.

5. the active portion(s) of a protein or enzyme molecule.

6. having recently spawned and thus being less desirable as food.

7. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.] a cow house, dairy house, or cow pasture.

8. a narrow platform at the rear of a carriage on which a footman rode.

9. perhaps [hap ‘chance, luck, lot’ + -(te)n, probably after often, variant of oft]

10. the person responsible as captain of a ship or boat not big enough to have a full captain.

11. a small molecule which, combined with a carrier such as a protein, can elicit the production of antibodies which bind to it.

Votes are due 8 am (0800 hours) Sunday, May 1, in North American Eastern Daylight Time. According to timeanddate.com, that's:

and other times in other places. You might want to check any conversion that affects you, especially outside North America. That site's good, but nobody's perfect, and this is the time of year that clocks move around.

New players are welcome to vote, as are old friends who didn't submit a definition. The only requirement is that you not know what ALASTRIM means. Full rules can be found at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules

Vote on!

Efrem

Judy Madnick

Apr 29, 2022, 9:12:07 AM4/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with the molecules:

5. the active portion(s) of a protein or enzyme molecule.
and
11. a small molecule which, combined with a carrier such as a protein, can elicit the production of antibodies which bind to it.

Judy

Chowie

Apr 29, 2022, 9:20:17 AM4/29/22
to Dixonary
7 and 8 for me

HAPTEN voting deadline.png

Tim Lodge

Apr 29, 2022, 9:43:20 AM4/29/22
to Dixonary
I'll try 4 and 9.

           4. [Obs.] happenstance; an occurrence not expected.

           9. perhaps [hap ‘chance, luck, lot’ + -(te)n, probably after often, variant of oft]

--  Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

Apr 29, 2022, 9:47:16 AM4/29/22
to Dixonary

9 for the etymology and 8 for lack of it

Paul Keating

Apr 29, 2022, 10:01:16 AM4/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 & 7 for me.

Tim B

Apr 29, 2022, 11:19:13 AM4/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 11, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Shani Naylor

Apr 29, 2022, 5:49:47 PM4/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try the molecules too, 5 & 11.

--
HAPTEN voting deadline.png

Paul Keating

Apr 29, 2022, 6:11:29 PM4/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I think we can predict that nearly everyone who played in Round 3244 can probably remember what alastrim means. I've forgotten already, so I meet the requirement.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, 15:06 'Efrem Mallach' via Dixonary, <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Fellow players,

Eleven definitions of HAPTEN follow, one of which is correct. ...
 The only requirement is that you not know what ALASTRIM means.

Efrem G Mallach

Apr 29, 2022, 7:02:28 PM4/29/22
to 'Efrem Mallach' via Dixonary
Isn't copying and pasting wonderful?

Efrem the Far-From-Perfect

Tony Abell

Apr 29, 2022, 8:50:48 PM4/29/22
to 'Efrem Mallach' via Dixonary

I'll waste my votes on 3 and 7:

> 3. a particular clamp used to fasten metal bands.

Daniel B Widdis

May 1, 2022, 3:28:37 AM5/1/22
to Dixonary

If only you’d said the requirements were in an attachment that you forgot to attach, we might forgive you.

Paul Keating

May 1, 2022, 4:40:07 AM5/1/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
My mail client warns me if the message text mentions attachment but the email hasn't got one. Even works in French.