[Dixonary] Round 3088 word: FANA

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 13, 2020, 9:03:37 AM7/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Can't say I didn't see this one coming. I think it's my karmic punishment for telling Nancy that UK time and GMT aren't the same thing.

So, the word for round 3088 is:

*********************
FANA
*********************

where capitalization has no significance.

Please send your invented definition of FANA to emallach at verizon dot net by 9 am US EDT on Wednesday, July 15, just under 48 hours from now. Don't Reply to this message without changing the To field of your reply, or you'll send your fake definition to the whole group.

If  you know what FANA means, please let me know ASAP the same way. If enough people know it, I'll pick another word - hopefully in time to keep the same deadline.

According to timeanddate.com, the deadline is:

and other times in other places. You might want to confirm any conversion that affects you. That site's good, but nobody's perfect.

I expect votes to be due 48 hours later: 9 am Friday in the eastern U.S., and so on.

New players are welcome. (So are old ones who've been quiet for a while.) Just send me a definition that you invented without looking up the word. Full rules at  http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules.

Happy defining, and do stay safe.

Efrem

Stephen Dixon

Jul 13, 2020, 10:15:35 AM7/13/20
to Dixonary Group
A species of particularly aggressive Tick.

NAD

Steve  Dixon

      -- "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool."  ~Anonymous

nancygoat

Jul 14, 2020, 1:11:33 AM7/14/20
to Dixonary
Just a query for the players most familiar with Da Rules.  I felt bad last round because four players did not vote.  I was always led to believe that the deadline is at the discretion of the dealer but that it should be around 30-36 hours for each of definitions and votes subrounds.

Now here comes Efrem with 48 hours each.  I am not being critical and I think longer deadlines may be a good thing.  I'm just trying to determine of deadline guidelines changed while I wasn't paying attention.  Not at all impossible, that.

Perhaps worthy of discussion.

Nancy

Tim B

Jul 14, 2020, 4:03:41 AM7/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

> Now here comes Efrem with 48 hours each.  I am not being critical and I think longer deadlines may
> be a good thing.

I've always aimed for 36 hours, but I can see that 48 hours makes sense, given the variety of time
zones we live in.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Shani Naylor

Jul 14, 2020, 4:07:32 AM7/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I've also aimed for 36 hours because I think it's good to keep things moving along.

Also, people mostly tend to vote and submit in the first 24 hours.

Judy Madnick

Jul 14, 2020, 7:09:50 AM7/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Same here (roughly 36 hours), unless a weekend gets in the way. Then I'll sometimes extend the deadline a bit for either submitting a definition or voting.

Judy

Jul 14, 2020, 8:13:50 AM7/14/20
to Dixonary
Maybe he knows he's going to be very busy the next 36 and gave himself time to breathe. Life over game.

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 14, 2020, 9:41:05 AM7/14/20
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Folks,

Rule (13) of The "Real" Rules of Dixonary (page 13) reads:

13. Deadlines are to be no less than 32 nor more than 48 hours from the time they are posted, and must specify a time zone (for example, EDT).

The author, Paul Keating, then goes on to explain (references to precedent-setting rounds deleted for brevity):

The 1990 rules say “no less than 24 nor more than 36 hours.” This is unequivocal, but precedent, especially since 2005, has modified it.

In the mid-90s, deadlines were generally close to 24 hours, except at weekends: there used to be an unwritten rule, now long irrelevant, that slowed or stopped the clock over weekends, to suit players who had online access only at work.

Email messages may encounter delays of a sort that were not possible with realtime CompuServe forum messages. Such delays make 24-hour deadlines less workable than they once were.

A 24-hour deadline that ends between 01h00 and 09h00 US Eastern Time is effectively 18 hours for the majority of players. In the early years of the game, nearly all the players lived in North America, and would have had no occasion to set such a deadline. That is no longer true.

For these reasons, many players now consider a 24-hour deadline unacceptably short.

Dealers have always felt free to extend the deadline beyond the 1990 rules’ 36-hour limit to take account of other demands on their time, or the likely availability of players. Deadlines of 48 hours or more on US and non-US holiday weekends have never evoked protest, but without such excuse, deadlines longer than 48 hours have done so.

The reworded rule attempts to capture the apparent current consensus that a deadline should not be shorter than 32 hours, for any reason; and also not much longer than 48 hours, without good reason. A 36-hour deadline is uncontroversial and remains within the letter of the 1990 rules.

I tend to set deadlines at or near the 48-hour end of the range, adjusting it downward somewhat based on my personal schedule. This round, it happens that I expect to have time to deal with the dealing after 9 am (in my time zone, EDT) both mornings. Other sets of times would be too short or just wouldn't work this time for various personal reasons.

I would, of course, go along with the group if there is a consensus that 32-48 hours is too long at the high end. I fear, though, that a much shorter deadline would leave players in some time zones with only one waking period in which to define or vote, and if that waking period happens to be unusually busy, it effectively excludes them. A 48-hour deadline gives everyone the same amount of waking time regardless of the time zone they happen to be in.

Efrem

======================

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 14, 2020, 11:11:01 AM7/14/20
to Dixonary

I usually try to do 36 (minus an hour or so to collect/post/etc.) when I deal.  The math is easy for determining the deadline.

I might disagree that the “weekend” reference is no longer relevant, at least in the current environment.  WFH every day makes it harder to set work/home boundaries and I’ve been intentionally “unplugging” on the weekends.  So I’m rather happy with the 48-hour weekend deadlines but 36 hour weekday deadlines.

Judy Madnick

Jul 14, 2020, 11:30:47 AM7/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Well, I have no idea who may still be working (e.g., in our area most businesses have opened), so I still think in terms of "weekends."

Judy

Jul 14, 2020, 2:11:48 PM7/14/20
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary

One of the difficulties I have with responding with a definition is that, once
again, the sender of the word announcement is given as "'Efrem G Mallach' via
Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>", with the actual email address to
respond to being nowhere in the visible envelope. This creates extra manual
steps for me. I cannot simply right-click on a shown address and select
"Respond to this address"; I have to type the address in manually or do a copy
and paste from the internet headers in a different dialog. Or I could enter
the address in the address book, open that, and do some scrolling and clicking
to select it. In all those cases I have to make sure to delete the
dixo...@googlegroups.com address which will already be in the To: line, but
my email program fights me vigorously when I try to remove it and seems to
want to make me commit a Dixon.

All this is laborious enough to make me put off the effort again and again.

On 2020-07-13 at 9:03 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary wrote:

> Folks,

> Can't say I didn't see this one coming. I think it's my karmic punishment
> for telling Nancy that UK time and GMT aren't the same thing.

> So, the word for round 3088 is:

> *********************
> FANA
> *********************

> where capitalization has no significance.

> Please send your invented definition of FANA to emallach at verizon dot net
> by 9 am US EDT on Wednesday, July 15, just under 48 hours from now. Don't
> send your fake definition to the whole group.

> If you know what FANA means, please let me know ASAP the same way. If
> enough people know it, I'll pick another word - hopefully in time to keep the same deadline.

> According to timeanddate.com <http://timeanddate.com/>, the deadline is:

> and other times in other places. You might want to confirm any conversion
> that affects you. That site's good, but nobody's perfect.

> I expect votes to be due 48 hours later: 9 am Friday in the eastern U.S., and so on.

> New players are welcome. (So are old ones who've been quiet for a while.)
> Just send me a definition that you invented without looking up the word.
> Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules
> <http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules>.

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 14, 2020, 2:23:22 PM7/14/20
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary
Tony,

My apologies. I sent the call from my default (verizon.net) account rather than from the gmail account that I opened to take care of this. I'll try not to do that again in the future.

Of course, if other people come up with better definitions than I do, I won't have to deal in the future, which will also solve the problem - so, to that extent, the fix is in your collective hands!

That said, I noticed that you just sent in a definition anyhow. Thanks for making the effort.

Efrem

Judy Madnick

Jul 14, 2020, 2:25:20 PM7/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I have a similar issue. I usually block, copy, and paste the dealer's address into the "to" field by blocking the Dixonary group address first so that the dealer's address takes the place of the Dixonary address. (Hope that makes sense!). I don't have an option to "Respond to this address" as described below. But the last thing I want to do is retype the dealer's email address for fear of making a typo.

Also, some dealers don't send out a progress report, which can result in a player not voting because he or she missed the first posting. Though it's not essential, it's helpful.

Complaints over. :-)

Judy

Jul 14, 2020, 4:00:15 PM7/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I notice that recently Mike has been doing the same thing - I notice it particularly when anyone votes - "dixonary votes for" is not informative

I have to hit 'reply' to see who it was who voted and then cancel the 'reply'

Please can we post from our own addresses rather than from the group

JohnnyB

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 14, 2020, 4:02:58 PM7/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I have not changed the way I have posted. It is the dixonary website that has changed.

--Mike

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 16, 2020, 8:59:27 AM7/16/20
to Dixonary

This is correct, that the website has changed behavior, about a year ago. Google is trying to “protect” us from forged messages.

Basically, we don’t really know for sure that Efrem or Mike is actually the sender of their email messages to the group.  Anyone could be sending those emails, because they are not properly authenticated.

Technical details involve DMARC policy, DKIM, and SPF, for those who want to google.

When sender authentication, the group changes how the sender appears, making it look like the mail is from the group itself and not an individual.

This is frustrating for multiple reasons, as email clients now think these senders own the dixonary group email, sometimes losing track of the group’s name, or losing track of the senders’ real email addresses.   And some clients don’t even display the sender’s name.  Without the signature “Mike” or a more modern client that interprets the headers, it gets really confusing.

I have searched and can find no settings on the group to change or disable this behavior.

The solution is for the senders to use a properly authenticated SMTP server authorized by the email address domain they are using.

In Efrem’s case, he is using a verizon.net email but sending via a yahoo SMTP server (probably smtp.mail.yahoo.com) which is not authorized for Verizon mail.

He should use a better one from this list: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-17067/ , probably the outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net one.

Mike’s case is a little more complicated, as the header warns of authentication issues, related to a local network IP address.  I’m not sure how the salsgiver.com email path is set up, but it needs fixing so google doesn’t think it’s forged.

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of sta...@salsgiver.com designates 206.67.234.106 as permitted sender) client-ip=206.67.234.106;

                (authenticated bits=0)

                by email.salsgiver.com (8.15.2/8.15.2) with ESMTPA id 06EK2rSC021816

                for <dixo...@googlegroups.com>; Tue, 14 Jul 2020 16:02:54 -0400 (EDT)

                (envelope-from sta...@salsgiver.com)

If all else fails, setting up a gmail account (or a dixonary.net one!) just for the game, and processing all game email through it, should work.

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 1:02 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

I have not changed the way I have posted. It is the dixonary website that has changed.

--Mike

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 16, 2020, 9:40:30 AM7/16/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
That's actually a great idea, at least for me, as for some unknown
reason, Hugo's messages (even private emails) are not delivered to my
salsgiver address.

--Mike

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 16, 2020, 9:44:25 AM7/16/20
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
That's what I did. It works when I remember to use it. The recent issue arose because I forgot.

Efrem

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 16, 2020, 11:08:18 AM7/16/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Dan

It is good to know that it is not us who are 'challenged'

JohnnyB