Round 3226 MEDRINACKS Defs - Vote Now

Tim Lodge

Jan 24, 2022, 12:27:14 PM1/24/22
to Dixonary
Here we have 12 defs of the word MEDRINACKS, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        10:00 UTC/GMT on Wednesday 26th January in London
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EST in New York
         2:00 AM PST in California
        23:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

*** MEDRINACKS ***

1.       quacks; charlatans.

 2.      Anglo-Saxon communal liturgy.

 3.      [New England sl.] hip-high lace-up boots.

 4.      hills and ridges of erosion-resistant rock rising above a peneplain.

 5.      a lace tulle-like fabric for the highest class Elizabethan collars.

 6.      treatment of disease conducted by tickling the soles of the feet with a feather.

 7.      protrusions on the dorsal surface of a person or animal, reflecting the shape of the underlying vertebrae.

 8.      any of several Old World herbs of the genus Medrinago having small flowers and trifoliate compound leaves.

 9.      the prohibition practice of training a horse to pull a dray to make a delivery round without a human in attendance.

10.    a military maneuver characterized by an indirect and evasive course, usually lengthy, but one that brings the troops to eventually surround the enemy.

11.    Now _rare_. Chiefly in _plural_. The traces left by a stag in the undergrowth through which it has passed. Also _figurative_ and in figurative contexts.

12.    a kind of coarse canvas made of hemp woven with warps and wefts of double or treble thread, apparently introduced into England from Brittany, and used in the manufacture of sails, garments, etc.

Paul Keating

Jan 24, 2022, 12:31:38 PM1/24/22
to Dixonary Group
3 & 12 for me.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

France International/Mike Shefler

Jan 24, 2022, 12:32:23 PM1/24/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 4 and 7.

Judy Madnick

Jan 24, 2022, 1:02:17 PM1/24/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
 3.      [New England sl.] hip-high lace-up boots.
and

12.    a kind of coarse canvas made of hemp woven with warps and wefts of double or treble thread, apparently introduced into England from Brittany, and used in the manufacture of sails, garments, etc.

Judy Madnick

Chowie

Jan 24, 2022, 1:11:57 PM1/24/22
to Dixonary
I, too, like 3 and 12.

Johnb - co.uk

Jan 24, 2022, 1:19:20 PM1/24/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I've always wanted to know what  Elizabethan ruffs were made of and so I'll go for that and the other cloth

so #5 and #12 please
JohnnyB

Tim B

Jan 24, 2022, 1:39:49 PM1/24/22
to Dixonary
I'll have 8 and 12, please, though I don't really believe any of them.

I don't know what's happening to messages from this group, but I seem to be missing a lot of them. This time round I didn't see the announcement of the replacement word, though the reminder did arrive. I still haven't received the call for voting, and had to go to the Web site to find it and vote.
Best wishes,
Tim Bourne

ann

Jan 24, 2022, 3:11:31 PM1/24/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 12

Sent from my Galaxy

Fein, Deborah

Jan 24, 2022, 6:16:32 PM1/24/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
11 and 12 please.

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Jan 25, 2022, 3:47:56 AM1/25/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll join the crowd in voting for fabrics - 5 & 12.

Daniel B. Widdis

Jan 25, 2022, 11:19:51 AM1/25/22
to Dixonary
If it quacks like a duck, it probably has feathers.  (I hope Paul adds that to the Real Rules as a legitimate reason for voting for other than words one thinks are the correct def.)

1 and 6.

leck...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2022, 12:11:59 PM1/25/22
to Dixonary
After review and consideration of all the definitions, I vote for the first two, i.e., definition one and definition two:

1. quacks; charlatans.

 2.      Anglo-Saxon communal liturgy.

––Joe

Efrem G Mallach

Jan 25, 2022, 12:47:48 PM1/25/22
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
6, because it's totally implausible, and 12, to give someone a point for writing a lot.

Efrem