NEW WORD: CIMELIA

Dave Cunningham

Oct 3, 2019, 8:50:49 AM10/3/19
to Dixonary
For which kindly send me your wondrous fake definitions before Saturday morning at 8 a.m. EDT, adjusting to your local time zones.  47 hours from the time stamp on this message.

DQs are not quite as sought after. <g>

Dave

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 4, 2019, 10:09:25 AM10/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

The title of a song containing the lyric “You’re breaking my heart,” sung when CompuServe eliminated text-based access and forced users into their Compuserve Information Manager (CIM) user interface.

(shout out to us old timers)

Judy M.

Oct 4, 2019, 10:30:42 AM10/4/19
to Dixonary - Google Groups
Good memories (including TAPCIS) for us old-timers, although you don't qualify as "old," Dan!

Judy

Christopher Carson

Oct 4, 2019, 1:24:49 PM10/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Ah, nostalgia. I fondly remember the Tapfests that occurred from time to time. I recall one out on Long Island shortly after I came east in 1996 and 2 or 3 at a jazz restaurant on 10th Ave in Chelsea in Manhattan. Theresa Carey, Stu Lieberman, Et al. I think the notorious ’Nando Gelbard even showed up on occasion. Those pre World Wide Web TAPCIS days were a trip. <lol>.  It’s hard to imagine worrying about per minute charges and 2400 baud modems nowadays.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

Judy Madnick

Oct 4, 2019, 4:51:30 PM10/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
But at the time we thought it was great!

Judy

From: <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Dave Cunningham <cunn...@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 5:50 AM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Dixonary] NEW WORD: CIMELIA

For which kindly send me your wondrous fake definitions before Saturday morning at 8 a.m. EDT, adjusting to your local time zones.  47 hours from the time stamp on this message.

DQs are not quite as sought after.

Dave

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 5, 2019, 7:00:27 PM10/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I think if my first modem was 2400 baud and I paid for CI$ by the minute (until I snagged myself a comped account for “volunteering” 40 hours a month), I get to call myself old. 😃

Judy Madnick

Oct 6, 2019, 8:51:22 AM10/6/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Okay, you win.

From: on behalf of Judy Madnick
Date: Friday, October 4, 2019 at 1:51 PM

But at the time we thought it was great!

Judy

Christopher Carson

Oct 6, 2019, 11:52:47 AM10/6/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I think 2400 was my 3rd or 4th modem. The first was a 110 baud with an acoustic coupler that you stuffed a telephone handset into. It was installed on a Western Electric ASR33 that also had a paper tape punch/reader. What fun! I used to have a collection of tapes that would print ASCII pictures, the kind made with letters and punctuation marks. Then came a 300 baud with RS-232 connection followed by a 1200. I was working with TBBS (The BreadBoard System) at the time and a 2400 was for “high speed” testing and to cut down the per minute charges. TBBS was a dial in bulletin board system that could handle up to 16 telephone lines simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone

Johnb - co.uk

Oct 6, 2019, 12:49:10 PM10/6/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I too started with an acoustic coupler and had to relearn all my 20 years previous experience on mainframes

JohnnyB

Tim B

Oct 6, 2019, 1:44:52 PM10/6/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
> I too started with an acoustic coupler and had to relearn all my 20 years previous experience on
> mainframes

Me too! I remember using an acsoustic coupler with an Osborne 1, mainly to connect to a client's
prorietary email system. I know when I first travelled on business to the States with a laptop I
relied on dialup to the local Compuserve node. Judy may remember when we first met on the CIS WFH forum.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.