Round 3258 - QAWALLI - time to vote

Fein, Deborah

Jun 11, 2022, 8:55:26 PM6/11/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Judy, I'm cribbing your language:

Here are 10 definitions for the word QAWWALI shared exactly as I received them -- but only one is correct. Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is Monday June 13 at 9 pm Eastern Time. http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Any misspellings, weird spacing, etc., are my fault and not an indication of the accuracy of a particular definition.

Good luck!
Debby Fein
  1. A fruit basket

  2. [Hind.] An unlicensed taxi

  3. A black variety of the jaguar
  4.
  5. Fervent Muslim devotional music
  6.
  7. (Arab.) A warm, dry wind in the desert

  8. Gram. A word used, or one chiefly used, without the definite article

  9. To speak or wail; especially in a formal religious environment, to pray

  10. [Islam] A descendant of the prophet Muhammad (Sayyid or Sayyida, q.v.) through both parents

  11. Any of various stones revered as sacred in ancient Greek civilization, representing the center of the world

  12. One or more handwoven and beautifully dyed saddlebags which hang from a North Arabian camel's saddle

Chowie

Jun 11, 2022, 9:45:04 PM6/11/22
to Dixonary
5 and 7

Thanks.

Paul Keating

Jun 12, 2022, 2:29:13 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 & 7 for me.

Tim B

Jun 12, 2022, 3:38:39 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

John Barrs

Jun 12, 2022, 6:46:44 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#4 and #5 please

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Jun 12, 2022, 10:10:33 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 10 today, please.

When I clicked "reply," the definitions became 1, 3, 5...!

Judy Madnick

From: "Judy Madnick" <jmad...@gmail.com>
Dated: 6/12/2022 10:10:29 AM
Subject: RE: [Dixonary] Round 3258 - QAWALLI - time to vote

Fein, Deborah

Jun 12, 2022, 10:29:01 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Oh, dear, see the message from Judy, just below. This must be me and Word not having a seamless marriage. Please be sure
you are using the numbers 1-10 with corresponding definitions, as below.  Thanks, Judy - Deb

Jun 12, 2022, 10:37:09 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
sound like google deciding you cant count using even numbers -- try looking at your default formatting - may be 'list' and as Debrah posted a list then its got confused again (again)
johnnyb

John Barrs

Jun 12, 2022, 10:39:08 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
more likely word and google documents not having a good marriage

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Jun 12, 2022, 10:47:29 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

Jun 12, 2022, 10:56:34 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate the options that make it not my doing, but I think most likely is that I lean too much on proper appearance which might result from double spacing part of the doc and putting hard returns on others.

Deborah Fein

Jun 12, 2022, 10:56:46 AM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
But it was fine when I looked at the sent file. It's too much trouble to try to analyze it. LOL!

Deborah, I use a third-party email program. I didn't go to gmail on the Web to compare, but my program occasionally interprets things differently than gmail per se. It's entirely possible that I'm the only person who saw this...and as I mentioned earlier, when I looked at my "sent" file, it was fine.

Judy

Oh, dear, see the message from Judy, just below. This must be me and Word not having a seamless marriage. Please be sure
you are using the numbers 1-10 with corresponding definitions, as below.  Thanks, Judy - Deb

Jun 12, 2022, 12:29:01 PM6/12/22
to Dixonary

How odd!

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Judy Madnick <jmad...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 7:10 AM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

2 and 10 today, please.

When I clicked "reply," the definitions became 1, 3, 5...!

Judy Madnick

Thank you, Judy, I'm cribbing your language:

Here are 10 definitions for the word QAWWALI shared exactly as I received them -- but only one is correct. Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is Monday June 13 at 9 pm Eastern Time. http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Any misspellings, weird spacing, etc., are my fault and not an indication of the accuracy of a particular definition.

Good luck!

Debby Fein

1.     A fruit basket

2.

3.     [Hind.] An unlicensed taxi

4.

5.     A black variety of the jaguar

6.

7.     Fervent Muslim devotional music

8.

9.     (Arab.) A warm, dry wind in the desert

10.

11.Gram. A word used, or one chiefly used, without the definite article

12.

13.  To speak or wail; especially in a formal religious environment, to pray

14.

15.  [Islam] A descendant of the prophet Muhammad (Sayyid or Sayyida, q.v.) through both parents

16.

17.Any of various stones revered as sacred in ancient Greek civilization, representing the center of the world

18.

19.  One or more handwoven and beautifully dyed saddlebags which hang from a North Arabian camel's saddle

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 12, 2022, 12:30:54 PM6/12/22
to Dixonary

4 and 7, please (per the original numbering, not as quoted below… seems the “blank” lines get added to the numbering somehow!)

Judy Madnick

Jun 12, 2022, 12:43:53 PM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Ha, ha!

When I clicked "reply," the definitions became 1, 3, 5...!

Judy Madnick

Jun 12, 2022, 5:51:55 PM6/12/22
to Dixonary
1 and 10, please, although I should know better than to vote for anything related to camel saddles.

           1.  A fruit basket

        10. One or more handwoven and beautifully dyed saddlebags which hang from a North Arabian camel's saddle

You don't seem to have received my def, which I sent at 21:56 BST (4:56 PM EDT) on Thursday 9th.

--  Tim L

Shani Naylor

Jun 12, 2022, 6:02:04 PM6/12/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com