Round #3140 -- Vote Now -- Hirquiticke

Debbie

Feb 4, 2021, 7:34:25 PM2/4/21
to Dixonary
Here are 13 cleverly devised definitions.  Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is Saturday at 9:00 am Eastern Time.

Please ignore any misspellings, weird spacing, or odd punctuation, and good luck!

1. An anagram
2. A bald man
3. [Obs.] a person who holds unorthodox views
4. [Algonquin] the Penobscot tribe
5. A sharp cut of the whip when horse racing
6. One who chants (in several related Algonquin languages)

7. The state or quality of being just plain fed up
8. A white-flowered plant of the violet family, Viola labradorica, with medicinal properties.

9. [Native Alaska] the baculum of a walrus, seal, sea lion or polar bear

10. The gill-like structures of efts and other amphibian larvae

11. The act of caressing or tenderly running fingers through a loved one’s hair
12. A child past the age of 14 years, and beginning to be stirred with lechery

13. [Basque] collectively, the equipment used to play jai alai.

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

      ***Fear is not a Virtue***

Judy Madnick

Feb 4, 2021, 7:46:34 PM2/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I don't see my definition, and I'm sure everyone would have voted for it — not!

I'll vote for these:

8. A white-flowered plant of the violet family, Viola labradorica, with medicinal properties.
and
10. The gill-like structures of efts and other amphibian larvae

Judy Madnick

Debbie

Feb 4, 2021, 7:52:04 PM2/4/21
to Dixonary
Judy, I did receive it so I must have lost it transferring it from excel to gmail. I hope this problem doesn't become a major complication. I will award you 2 points for my error.

D.

stamps

Feb 4, 2021, 9:03:40 PM2/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
15 dp for you!

--
Salsgiver.com Webmail

Fiber Optic Internet and Voice are here!
Find out more at http://www.gotlit.com

> I don't see my definition, and I'm sure everyone would have voted
> for it ? not!
>
> I'll vote for these:
>
> 8. A white-flowered plant of the violet family, Viola labradorica,
> with medicinal properties.
>
> and
>
> 10. The gill-like structures of efts and other amphibian larvae
>
> Judy Madnick

> receiving emails from it, send an email to
dixonary+u...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/048B2B1E0204132E1F2A004008%40LAPT
OP-NG0A64CK.
------- End of Original Message -------

Judy Madnick

Feb 4, 2021, 9:17:29 PM2/4/21
to Dixonary - Google Groups
Too bad you're not the dealer. 🤩

Fein, Deborah

Feb 4, 2021, 9:37:03 PM2/4/21
to Dixonary
These are wonderful!  I choose 9 and 10.

University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Feb 4, 2021, 10:45:45 PM2/4/21
to Dixonary

What a great bunch of defs.

I’ll go with the lecherous young man and the grumpy old one:  7 and 12.

Johnb - co.uk

Feb 5, 2021, 4:33:17 AM2/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
defs defining one unknown word with another word I didn't know cause me to vote for #9 -- all the others are marvellous and realising that there must be an esoteric word for the phenomenon I'll add #12

JohnnyB

Paul Keating

Feb 5, 2021, 4:44:44 AM2/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 for the whimsy and 12 for the diction

Tim B

Feb 5, 2021, 5:25:21 AM2/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 9, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

France International/Mike Shefler

Feb 5, 2021, 11:53:37 AM2/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
11 and 12 for me.--Mike

Tim Lodge

Feb 5, 2021, 11:55:54 AM2/5/21
to Dixonary
The more I stared at these defs, the less I believed any of them!  I'll take a stab at 2 and 12.

          2. A bald man

        12. A child past the age of 14 years, and beginning to be stirred with lechery

--  Tim L

amal...@comcast.net

Feb 5, 2021, 1:15:20 PM2/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I share Tim L’s feelings – I don’t believe any of them, including the real one. Oh well. I’ll vote for 1 and 6.

Alan

Here are 13 cleverly devised definitions.  Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is Saturday at 9:00 am Eastern Time.

Efrem G Mallach

Feb 5, 2021, 1:51:06 PM2/5/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Guessing that it's not originally English, I'll randomly pick 6 and 13 from the remaining options.

Efrem

On Feb 4, 2021, at 7:34 PM, Debbie <chow...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here are 13 cleverly devised definitions.  Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is Saturday at 9:00 am Eastern Time.

Please ignore any misspellings, weird spacing, or odd punctuation, and good luck!

6. One who chants (in several related Algonquin languages)

Ryan McGill

Feb 5, 2021, 2:10:26 PM2/5/21
to Dixonary

This looks enough like a 400+ year-old English transliteration of an Indigenous American tongue. So 4 & 6 seem possible.

Ryan

Shani Naylor

Feb 5, 2021, 3:15:28 PM2/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote 2 & 12 for no sensible reason.