Rnd 3269 = Results

John Barrs

Jul 27, 2022, 1:20:51 PM7/27/22
to Named as Dixon Group

Anglicised as spailpeen or spalpeen, or "wandering landless labourer" was an itinerant or seasonal farm worker in Ireland from the 17th to the early 20th century. The term derived from the Irish spailp, meaning "turn, spell, bout."

The dictionary and Efrem received a score of 5: Shani was the real winner

Take it away EFrem

JohnnyB

From

Who voted

Voted for by

Score

1

(Archaic) a woman who sells fish

Debbie E

3, 8

0

2

spailpín [Irish] an itinerant or seasonal farm worker

Judy M, Dan W, Shani N, Efrem M, Tim L

D5

3

Irish English. Nonsensical talk; overblown or empty rhetoric; claptrap

Paul K

Debbie E, Judy M

2 DQ

4

any of several evergreen trees or shrubs of the family Fagaceae, including species in the genera Chrysolepis of western North America and Castanopsis of East and Southeast Asia; The edible nut of any of these plants

Judy M

2*, 3

2*

5

(Far.) a projecting flange on the upper edge of a horseshoe, turned up so as to embrace the lower part of the hoof

Dan W

2*, 3

Deborah F

3*

6

a genre of Spanish thriller or horror film typically involving a murder mystery and characterized by graphic violence, eroticism, an atmospheric, sometimes dreamlike blend of suspense and horror elements, and often a prominent, intense music score

Shani N

2*, 9

Tony A, Efrem M

4*

7

the ruddy duck (Oxyura jamaicensis) of North America

Mike S

8, 9

Tony A

1

8

an iron pin used to attach the figurehead to the prow of medieval round ships

Deborah F

5, 9

Mike S, Debbie E

2

9

A tool, similar to a spike, used to break rocks by inserting it into a crevice and striking it with a heavy hammer.

Efrem M

2*, 6

Mike S, Deborah F, Shani N

5*

10*

<no Def>

Tim L

2,5

2*

11*

<no Def>

Tony A

6, 7

0

Debbie E

0

Tony A

0

Mike S

1

Paul K

2

Deborah F

2

Judy M

2*

Tim L

2*

Dan W

3*

Shani N

4*

Efrem M

5*

Dictionary

D5

Tim Lodge

Jul 27, 2022, 3:13:11 PM7/27/22
to Dixonary
I'm taking over the deal, as I've owed Efrem one for some time.   New word coming up as soon as I've finished eating.

-- Tim L