Rbd 3245 Vote for BADGER

John Barrs

Apr 16, 2022, 12:03:08 PM4/16/22
to Named as Dixon Group
Dear Folks
A few but significant set of defs for you-all to consider

Public Votes by 400pm BST Monday

JohnnyB

1              one who quibbles over trivia

2              Brit. In full: blue-badger. The holder of a blue badge, a permit issued by local government to occupy on-street parking-spaces reserved for the disabled, to park on yellow lines, and free of charge at parking meters; a vehicle so parked

3              n. Informal one who wears a badge for part of his or her work.  At the airport, the security guard was seen hanging out with the other badgers in the coffee shop

4              a defensive construction of sharpened sticks embedded in the ground at an angle, intended to fend off a cavalry charge

5              a person who collects badges

6              in medieval warfare, a soldier owing permanent allegiance to a lord (and wearing his badge), not a mercenary

7              a stranger hired to impersonate friends, family members or other acquaintances, as a way to save face at social functions where plus-ones are expected

8              an archaic English term for a dealer in food

9              a single-masted fishing vessel of the Levant

10              Slang name for melaxuma, a disease of trees, especially walnuts, characterized by black and white cankers which resemble a badger’s face

Tim B

Apr 16, 2022, 1:26:27 PM4/16/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 9, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Chowie

Apr 16, 2022, 1:29:06 PM4/16/22
to Dixonary
8 and 9 please

Judy Madnick

Apr 16, 2022, 2:14:02 PM4/16/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

7              a stranger hired to impersonate friends, family members or other acquaintances, as a way to save face at social functions where plus-ones are expected

8              an archaic English term for a dealer in food

Judy Madnick

Tim Lodge

Apr 16, 2022, 4:15:57 PM4/16/22
to Dixonary
I'll try 4 and 9, please.

          4              a defensive construction of sharpened sticks embedded in the ground at an angle, intended to fend off a cavalry charge

           9              a single-masted fishing vessel of the Levant

--  Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

Apr 16, 2022, 4:30:14 PM4/16/22
to Dixonary

4 and 6 for pointy things and war

Paul Keating

Apr 16, 2022, 4:50:38 PM4/16/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I will ignore the defs that offer badge, with the suffix -er in the sense ‘one who has to do with (the thing denoted by the primary noun)’, not because they are implausible but because there are four of them: 2  3, 5, 6.

One of those four is probably correct, but I vote for the unlikely 4; and for 8, despite its undictionarylike diction.

France International/Mike Shefler

Apr 17, 2022, 8:58:49 AM4/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 2 and 8.

Efrem G Mallach

Shani Naylor

Apr 17, 2022, 5:37:32 PM4/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 & 7 for me.

Tony Abell

Apr 18, 2022, 11:42:57 AM4/18/22
to John Barrs

It's well past the voting deadline, but I would have voted 2 and 4: