NEVEL voting time 3187?

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Aug 4, 2021, 12:32:25 PM8/4/21
to Dixonary
I hope I have not messed up too much - so here are  a prime set of defs for NEVEL, of which one should be real. Vote for two hereof before  5 pm EDT on Friday, please. Thank you.

  1.  to pound with fists.
  2.  A lime or linden-tree.
  3. The brother of Sir Walter Scott.
  4.  a state of confusion or mental fogginess.
  5.  Evening mist that forms over waterways and marshland [Dutch]
  6.  A small block used as a repeating design element in a cornice
  7.  In non-Euclidean geometry, a line or plane that intersects itself
  8.  A type of aneroid barometer using a volatile liquid for temperature compensation
  9.  A peg with a head and a hole through the tip, used in conjunction with a cotter pin as a fastener
 10. The edible berries of the Zizyphus Lotus, a tree of Northern Africa, and Southwestern Europe
 11. A device in a sewing machine for drawing up the slack thread as the needle rises, in completing a stitch
 12. The offer of a large sum of money by a developer to a private homeowner who refuses to make way for a real estate development.
 13. Also known as the Straits Settlements of the East India Company, 1845, were copper coins in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 cent denominations, and the coin obverse showed the young portrait of Queen Victoria.

Dave

Johnb - co.uk

Aug 4, 2021, 12:40:49 PM8/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
To demonstrate that \I did readthem all I'll take first and last - that is #1 and #13 please
JohnnyB
On 04/08/2021 17:32, Hero’s fall Cunningham wrote:
  1.  to pound with fists.

 13. Also known as the Straits Settlements of the East India Company, 1845, were copper coins in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 cent denominations, and the coin obverse showed the young portrait of Queen Victoria.

Tim B

Aug 4, 2021, 1:17:02 PM8/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try 4 and 11, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Paul Keating

Aug 4, 2021, 1:17:03 PM8/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 & 11 for me.

Tim Lodge

Aug 4, 2021, 1:35:13 PM8/4/21
to Dixonary
5 and 13, please.

              5.  Evening mist that forms over waterways and marshland [Dutch]

             13. Also known as the Straits Settlements of the East India Company, 1845, were copper coins in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 cent denominations, and the coin obverse showed the young portrait of Queen Victoria.

-- Tim

France International/Mike Shefler

Aug 4, 2021, 2:00:19 PM8/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote for 11 and 13.

Debbie Embler

Aug 4, 2021, 2:56:21 PM8/4/21
to Dixonary
6 and 7 please

Judy Madnick

Aug 4, 2021, 3:36:52 PM8/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5.  Evening mist that forms over waterways and marshland [Dutch]
and
8.  A type of aneroid barometer using a volatile liquid for temperature compensation

Judy Madnick

Daniel B Widdis

Aug 4, 2021, 4:32:24 PM8/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 is impossible and 13 is plausible.

Sent from my iPhone

Efrem G Mallach

Aug 5, 2021, 3:59:49 PM8/5/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
None of them are even remotely plausible, other than y own (which, inexplicably, has not received the recognition it deserves). Since I don't have the foggiest idea what to vote for, I'll go for the foggy 4 and 5.

Efrem

On Aug 4, 2021, at 12:32 PM, Hero’s fall Cunningham <coll...@gmail.com> wrote:

I hope I have not messed up too much - so here are  a prime set of defs for NEVEL, of which one should be real. Vote for two hereof before  5 pm EDT on Friday, please. Thank you.

amal...@comcast.net

Aug 5, 2021, 4:14:57 PM8/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Dave – I love the idea of a Zizyphus lotus, which presumably keeps pushing its seeds uphill, only to see them fall back down. However, I find it implausible.

I’ll go for the mechanical options - 9 and 11.

Alan

Shani Naylor

Aug 5, 2021, 7:42:20 PM8/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
My def also has been neglected (I can't think why). Anyway, I'll go technical with 9 & 11.

Ryan McGill

Aug 6, 2021, 4:24:45 PM8/6/21
to Dixonary
I'm not finding any of these plausible other than 7 & 11.