Round 3015 - GALATEA - The Defs

Christopher Carson

Sep 22, 2019, 4:24:25 PM9/22/19
to The Intrepid Dixonists

With crossed fingers that I picked up all of the outstanding defs and got them into this list, here is the posting only 9 hours late or so.

There are a total of 12 definitions for GALATEA. Please vote for two, by public reply to this message, before deadline, which is 7:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 .

1. A style of walking skirt worn during the Gay Nineties

    (1890–1900).

2. A genus of great water lilies.

3. A room for informal dining.

4. Broadcloth used for blue and white sailor-suits for

    children.

5. A North African smock-like garment.

6. Tithes of corn, hay, and wood.

7. A minor Greek deity associated with justice and harmony

    and the handmaiden of Astraea.

8. A group or council of churches.

9. A durable, often striped cotton fabric used in making

    clothing.

10. A type of cinnamon pastry (after the mythic _Galatea_

    q.v.)

11. A midsummer festival celebrated on some Greek islands.

12. A rough cloth, made from hemp, ivory-white in color.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Judy Madnick

Sep 22, 2019, 4:35:38 PM9/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
See? I read'em all!

1. A style of walking skirt worn during the Gay Nineties (1890–1900).

12. A rough cloth, made from hemp, ivory-white in color.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Tim B

Sep 22, 2019, 4:40:15 PM9/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Shani Naylor

Sep 22, 2019, 6:21:15 PM9/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking cloth - 4 & 9.

nancygoat

Sep 23, 2019, 12:39:31 AM9/23/19
to Dixonary
Sorry for the late notice.  I am a DQ on this one.

Nancy

Daniel B Widdis

Sep 23, 2019, 2:20:00 AM9/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

10 and 12 please

Dave Cunningham

Sep 23, 2019, 9:23:35 AM9/23/19
to Dixonary
4 and 12 as I … um, you know, bearing gifts.

Dave

France International/Mike Shefler

Sep 23, 2019, 9:55:42 AM9/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
A lot of these are, ahem, cut from the same cloth, so to say. I'll choose 4 and 9 as being the most reasonable.

Debbie

Sep 23, 2019, 10:07:29 AM9/23/19
to Dixonary
2 and 3 for me, against the grain.

Guerri Stevens

Sep 23, 2019, 1:36:08 PM9/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for 1 and 4.

On 9/22/2019 4:24 PM, Christopher Carson wrote:

Efrem G Mallach

Sep 23, 2019, 4:00:26 PM9/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 and 10, please.

Efrem

On Sep 22, 2019, at 4:24 PM, Christopher Carson <clca...@live.com> wrote:

With crossed fingers that I picked up all of the outstanding defs and got them into this list, here is the posting only 9 hours late or so.

There are a total of 12 definitions for GALATEA. Please vote for two, by public reply to this message, before deadline, which is 7:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 .

1. A style of walking skirt worn during the Gay Nineties (1890–1900).

Tim Lodge

Sep 23, 2019, 5:28:40 PM9/23/19
to Dixonary
I'll try the tithes and one of the cloths: 6 and 12.

 6. Tithes of corn, hay, and wood.

12. A rough cloth, made from hemp, ivory-white in color.

--  Tim L

Ryan McGill

Sep 23, 2019, 8:14:14 PM9/23/19
to Dixonary
Of those without votes, I find 8 & 11 most convincing. (Sorry, Discordian one.)

8. A group or council of churches.

11. A midsummer festival celebrated on some Greek islands.

Tony Abell

Sep 23, 2019, 10:15:09 PM9/23/19
to Christopher Carson

I'll take 8 and 9 for no real reasons: