Round 3020 Time to vote for LOCKS-AND-LICE

Shani Naylor

Oct 13, 2019, 7:51:39 PM10/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

We have 10 fake definitions for our word LOCKS-AND-LICE, along with one that was found in a dictionary. Please vote for two by the deadline.
  1. A schoolboy nickname for a dish of noodles and rice, frequently served under food rationing in Britain during the Second World War.
  2. [Cockney rhyming slang] dice.
  3. [Scottish] Parts of the loom: The locks of the loom press the newly created weft thread against the already woven fabric using a lice and thus allowing more design possibilities.
  4. A brand name for ivermectin, which is an effective alternative for the treatment of head-lice infestation, hence reference to "locks."
  5. Mice (rhyming slang).
  6. An image or diagram containing lines, usually horizontal, vertical, and diagonal, sometimes of varying widths, used to test the accuracy of reproduction of image copying or transmission equipment.
  7. Something very likely to be liked.
  8. A kind of cloth.
  9. [sl.] Spice (in imitation of UK "rhyming slang").
  10. A hula hoop technique for two people.
  11. Traditional New Zealand sandwich made with Marmite, smoked fish and cheese.

The deadline is 7am Wednesday 16 October my time (NZDT) or:

Los Angeles, USA                             Tues, 15 Oct 2019 at 11am PDT

New York, USA                                 Tues, 15 Oct 2019 at 2pm EDT

London, United Kingdom              Tues, 15 Oct 2019 at 7pm BST

Amsterdam, Netherlands             Tues, 15 Oct 2019 at 8pm CEST

(please check these times and adjust accordingly)

France International/Mike Shefler

Oct 13, 2019, 10:19:34 PM10/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 7 and 10.

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 13, 2019, 11:48:44 PM10/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try 1 and 6, please.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

On Oct 13, 2019, at 7:51 PM, Shani Naylor <shani....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

We have 10 fake definitions for our word LOCKS-AND-LICE, along with one that was found in a dictionary. Please vote for two by the deadline.
  1. A schoolboy nickname for a dish of noodles and rice, frequently served under food rationing in Britain during the Second World War.

Tim B

Oct 14, 2019, 5:20:04 AM10/14/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 6, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tim Lodge

Oct 14, 2019, 6:45:10 AM10/14/19
to Dixonary
I'll try 7 and 8.

7. Something very likely to be liked.

8. A kind of cloth.

-- Tim L

Debbie

Oct 14, 2019, 8:53:14 AM10/14/19
to Dixonary
1 and 11 please

Dave Cunningham

Oct 14, 2019, 10:34:02 AM10/14/19
to Dixonary
1 and 6 - lots of similar defs, though.

Dave

Johnb - co.uk

Oct 14, 2019, 10:35:47 AM10/14/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Clot for me = #3 and #8 - the long and the short of it

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Oct 14, 2019, 11:55:06 AM10/14/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I guess I'd better vote so that I can give two players a point each! One suggestion though: It would be better not to use automatic numbering, because when I delete a definition in my attempt to narrow down my votes, the numbers change.

For lack of a better idea, I'll take 1 and 11.

Daniel B. Widdis

Oct 14, 2019, 6:18:50 PM10/14/19
to Dixonary
1, 9 and 11 are out -- nobody would eat something named this!
2 and 5 why not just use "dice" or "mice" to rhyme instead of inventing a longer word?
4 too obvious
6 must have been written by someone staying up past their bedtime
3 almost got my vote but I just can't square [Scottish] and "locks" instead of "lochs"!
10 is tempting but I can't envision any movements that would bear that name.

That leaves:

7 I like liking things.

8 A kind of ... definition is always a good fallback when all else fails and is a twist on the non-loch loom.

nancygoat

Oct 14, 2019, 6:47:58 PM10/14/19
to Dixonary
I'll take 1 and 2.

Nancy

Tony Abell

Oct 14, 2019, 8:41:22 PM10/14/19
to Shani Naylor

Since it looks like rhyming slang, I'll assume it isn't and vote for 8 and 11:

> 8. A kind of cloth.

> 11. Traditional New Zealand sandwich made with Marmite, smoked fish and
> cheese.

Guerri Stevens

Oct 15, 2019, 10:01:55 AM10/15/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for 1 and 11.

Ryan McGill

Oct 15, 2019, 12:25:50 PM10/15/19
to Dixonary
I like rhyming slang. Let's go with 5 & 9