Round 3174 results!

Shani Naylor

Jun 14, 2021, 3:39:29 PM6/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Dave is our next winner, with 4 natural points for his Peruvian culture, with Dan on the same points, albeit unnatural, with his cooper's hoop.

The discussion after the last round about word sources was timely, as this is the first time I’ve dealt a word that I haven’t been able to find in a dictionary. A colatec, for those who haven’t googled it, is an seniors’ daytime disco in Korea. The rules refer to references in ‘magazine articles discussing recent coinages’ being acceptable and there are numerous mentions of colatec online, along with its etymology (such as here and YouTube video here). Anyway, I wondered what other players think about dealing such a word.

Welcome back Keith - great to hear from you!

Take it away Dave!

1.       [Indig. Mex.] a jaguar.

Efrem M, who voted *8 & 10. Score: 3

Vote from Keith H.

2.       In Mexico, a storehouse for grain.
Tim L, who voted 9 & 11. Score: 0

No votes.

3.       The science involved in soft-drink production.
Johnny B, who voted 7 & *8. Score 3

Vote from Dan W.

4.       A dialect of Nahuatl spoken in southwestern Mexico.
Tony A, who didn’t vote. Score: 2

Votes from Judy M & Tim B.

5.       Circumlocution used to avoid speaking unlucky words.

Judy M, who voted 4 & 11. Score: 3

Votes from Debbie E, Paul K & Keith H.

6.       A name for the Yi syllabary, derived from its first three syllables.
Paul K, who voted 5 & 9. Score: 2

Votes from Mike S & Alan M.

7.       (™) a polypropylene mesh used as a film for osmotic separation of liquids.
Mike S, who voted 6 & *8. Score: 3

Vote from Johnny B.

8.       A Korean daytime disco for seniors (a portmanteau of "cola" and "discotheque").

Online D5

Votes from Dan W, Debbie E, Mike S, Johnny B & Efrem M.

9.       [Archeology] a Mesolithic culture in Peru, antedating the Incan period, possibly as early as 1000 BCE.
Dave C, who didn’t vote. Score: 4

Vote from Deb F, Paul K, Alan M, Tim L

10.   A hoop used by coopers to draw together the ends of barrel staves, to allow the hoops to be slipped over them.

Dan W, who voted 3 & *8. Score: 4

Votes from Deb F & Efrem M.

11.   A Chippewa dialect of Ojibwa. As of 2010, it was estimated that fewer than 1000 first language speakers survived.
Deb F, who voted 9 & 10. Score: 3

Votes from Judy M, Tim B, Tim L.

12.   A trademarked plastic polymer capable of withstanding high temperatures and used in aviation and marine engines.
Alan M, who voted 6 & 9. Score: 0

No votes.

No def: Debbie E, who voted 5 & *8. Score: 2

Tim B, who voted 4 & 11. Score: 0

Keith H, who voted 1 & 5. Score: 0

Debbie Embler

Jun 14, 2021, 3:51:08 PM6/14/21
to Dixonary
I think it's fine, being the renegade that I am.

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 15, 2021, 12:45:08 AM6/15/21
to Dixonary

I think it’s fine once in a while, and for this word in particular since it’s well-attested for a few decades. I’d beware the slippery slope and would prefer it remains an occasional thing.

Shani Naylor

Jun 15, 2021, 3:23:50 PM6/15/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan & Debbie
I'm not planning to make a habit of it, but I thought there might be the occasional word, like this one, that I might not otherwise deal because I couldn't find it in a dictionary.

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Jun 15, 2021, 4:23:44 PM6/15/21
to Dixonary
New Word:   Alas:   Will be on the road from Thursday to a week hence.   My wife just had a bone biopsy yesterday, so I have to do a lot of driving without this computer, and my iphone is not happy with google.

Dave

Shani Naylor

Jun 15, 2021, 4:46:34 PM6/15/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave. Hope your wife is Ok. Do you want Dan to deal so it takes the pressure off and you can focus on your other important matters?

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 17, 2021, 10:29:28 AM6/17/21
to Dixonary

I think that last message was deferring the deal. I’ll find a word within a few hours.

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Shani Naylor <shani....@gmail.com>

Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>