Round 3174 COLATEC - time to vote!

Shani Naylor

Jun 13, 2021, 1:02:19 AM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I now have a dozen delectable definitions for COLATEC, one of which is correct. Please vote for two by the deadline.

1.       [Indig. Mex.] a jaguar.

2.       In Mexico, a storehouse for grain.

3.       The science involved in soft-drink production.

4.       A dialect of Nahuatl spoken in southwestern Mexico.

5.       Circumlocution used to avoid speaking unlucky words.

6.       A name for the Yi syllabary, derived from its first three syllables.

7.       (™) a polypropylene mesh used as a film for osmotic separation of liquids.

8.       A Korean daytime disco for seniors (a portmanteau of "cola" and "discotheque").

9.       [Archeology] a Mesolithic culture in Peru, antedating the Incan period, possibly as early as 1000 BCE.

10.   A hoop used by coopers to draw together the ends of barrel staves, to allow the hoops to be slipped over them.

11.   A Chippewa dialect of Ojibwa. As of 2010, it was estimated that fewer than 1000 first language speakers survived.

12.   A trademarked plastic polymer capable of withstanding high temperatures and used in aviation and marine engines.

 The deadline is 7am Tuesday 15 June my time (NZDT) or:

Los Angeles, USA                             Monday 14 June at noon

New York, USA                                 Monday 14 June at 3pm

London, United Kingdom               Monday 14 June at 8pm

Paris, France                                     Monday 14 June at 9pm

(please check these times and adjust accordingly)

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 13, 2021, 4:05:39 AM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#7 and #8 for me please
JohnnyB

Tim B

Jun 13, 2021, 4:15:22 AM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 and 11, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Paul Keating

Jun 13, 2021, 9:25:50 AM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 & 9 for me.

Judy Madnick

Jun 13, 2021, 10:21:51 AM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
No clue. I'll take my chances on the dialects:

4.       A dialect of Nahuatl spoken in southwestern Mexico.

11.   A Chippewa dialect of Ojibwa. As of 2010, it was estimated that fewer than 1000 first language speakers survived.

Judy Madnick

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 13, 2021, 11:03:15 AM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 6 and 8.

--Mike

Debbie Embler

Jun 13, 2021, 12:25:40 PM6/13/21
to Dixonary
5 and 8 please

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 13, 2021, 12:59:35 PM6/13/21
to Dixonary

I don’t believe 3 for a minute but will reward its author for chutzpah.

I thought of submitting a cola- theque themed fake but wasn’t nearly as creative as 8’s author.

Fein, Deborah

Jun 13, 2021, 1:29:16 PM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I love them all! 9 and 10, please.

Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

9.       [Archeology] a Mesolithic culture in Peru, antedating the Incan period, possibly as early as 1000 BCE.

11.   A Chippewa dialect of Ojibwa. As of 2010, it was estimated that fewer than 1000 first language speakers survived.

--  Tim L

amal...@comcast.net

Jun 13, 2021, 6:13:27 PM6/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

A symbolic point to #3 for chutzpah, but I’m not going there. I’ll try 9 and 6, not because I believe it, but the others seem even less plausible.

Alan

to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
I'm not sure either of them fits my idea of "delectable," but I'll go with 8 and 10.

Efrem

========================

On Jun 13, 2021, at 1:02 AM, Shani Naylor <shani....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

I now have a dozen delectable definitions for COLATEC, one of which is correct. Please vote for two by the deadline.

8.       A Korean daytime disco for seniors (a portmanteau of "cola" and "discotheque").

—Keith Hale—

Jun 14, 2021, 2:41:36 PM6/14/21
to dixonary
Hello, group, from the way-back! I haven't played in a really long time but i am relaxing in the hospital and thought i would throw my votes in for number one and for number five.  I hope everyone is doing well.
-Keith-

Debbie Embler

Jun 14, 2021, 3:24:53 PM6/14/21
to Dixonary
Welcome back, and hope you're on the mend.

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Judy Madnick

Jun 14, 2021, 3:41:06 PM6/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Quote:

i am relaxing in the hospital
Hope it's nothing serious and that you're outa' there soon!

Judy

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021, 12:02 AM Shani Naylor <shani....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all

I now have a dozen delectable definitions for COLATEC, one of which is correct. Please vote for two by the deadline.

1.       [Indig. Mex.] a jaguar.

2.       In Mexico, a storehouse for grain.

3.       The science involved in soft-drink production.

4.       A dialect of Nahuatl spoken in southwestern Mexico.

5.       Circumlocution used to avoid speaking unlucky words.

6.       A name for the Yi syllabary, derived from its first three syllables.

7.       (&TRADE;) a polypropylene mesh used as a film for osmotic separation of liquids.

[...]

—Keith Hale—

Jun 27, 2021, 3:34:30 AM6/27/21
to dixonary
Thanks everyone.  I had a medium sized heart attack, as mine tend to go, but they only did a cardiac catheter procedure. They're going to treat me with medicines and hopefully some cardiac therapy.   My stay in the hospital didn't make me back into a good email steward like I used to be, so please forgive this very late update. I was out in 4 days, and although I feel like I'm bouncing back a little slower on this one, i am well and truly on my the mend!

Shani Naylor

Jun 27, 2021, 6:09:56 AM6/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear from you Keith, and glad to hear you are on the mend. Feel free to jump in & play at any time - I always thought you had the best defs!

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 27, 2021, 7:35:17 AM6/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
keep on mending - we missed you