Rnd 3019 MUNJANDIE Time to vote

Johnb - co.uk

Oct 9, 2019, 11:10:43 PM10/9/19
to Dixonarians

here are the definitions constructed by our panel and a dictionary - please vote publically for 2 of them by 10:pm CST
Friday 11th

JohnnyB

1        a soft white cheese made from soured milk
2        an obsolete unit of mass in India approximately equal to 4 grains (0.259 g). After metrication in the mid-20th century, the unit became obsolete
3        [India] a bookkeeper; a clerk in an accounting office
4        a sling used by porters in the Himalayas
5        a large, lizard-like cryptid from Australia which walks on its hind legs and has been rumored to feed on eucalyptus when it cannot find enough sheep to satisfy its appetites
6        a crude log raft
7        (Zool.) an excrescence of any form produced on any part of a plant by insects or their larvae. They are most commonly caused by small Hymenoptera and Diptera which puncture the bark and lay their eggs in the wounds
8        a Hindu game of territorial conquest played on a 16x16 grid with moves governed by the roll of dice
9        a temporary state of depression or melancholy
10        [Hindi] a vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist; an indolent dreaming wistfulness
11        English words whose origins lie in the Hindi, Urdu or Sanskrit
language

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 9, 2019, 11:13:14 PM10/9/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I’ll go for 12 and 13 since the first 11 are obviously fake.

But pressed to vote “legally” and reward creativity, 5 and 10 at least amused me.

Sent from my iPhone

Shani Naylor

Oct 10, 2019, 2:52:27 AM10/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 & 9 for me.

Tim B

Oct 10, 2019, 3:34:57 AM10/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
10 and 11, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

Oct 10, 2019, 8:28:34 AM10/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

3        [India] a bookkeeper; a clerk in an accounting office

8        a Hindu game of territorial conquest played on a 16x16 grid with moves governed by the roll of dice

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Debbie

Oct 10, 2019, 8:37:24 AM10/10/19
to Dixonary
3 and 4 please

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 10, 2019, 11:52:07 AM10/10/19
to Dixonary
Definitely sounds Indian, but that leaves half a dozen or so. Of those, I'll take 8 and 10.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On Oct 9, 2019, at 11:10 PM, Johnb - co.uk <jo...@john-barrs.co.uk> wrote:

here are the definitions constructed by our panel and a dictionary - please vote publically for 2 of them by 10:pm CST Friday 11th

JohnnyB

8        a Hindu game of territorial conquest played on a 16x16 grid with moves governed by the roll of dice

France International/Mike Shefler

Oct 10, 2019, 12:16:09 PM10/10/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 1 and 11.

Tim Lodge

Oct 10, 2019, 5:25:55 PM10/10/19
to Dixonary
I was going to vote for two Indian defs, but I've fallen for the sheep- and eucalyptus-eating cryptid, so now it's only one. 5 and 11, please.

 5        a large, lizard-like cryptid from Australia which walks on its hind legs and has been rumored to feed on eucalyptus when it cannot find enough sheep to satisfy its appetites

11        English words whose origins lie in the Hindi, Urdu or Sanskrit language

--  Tim L

Tony Abell

Oct 11, 2019, 8:29:25 AM10/11/19
to Johnb - co.uk

I'll take 4 and 10 (the latter just because I identify with it, not because I
think it's the real definition):

> 4        a sling used by porters in the Himalayas

Dave Cunningham

Oct 11, 2019, 10:53:02 AM10/11/19
to Dixonary
3 as "maybe" and 11 for "chutzpah"

Dave

Ryan McGill

Oct 11, 2019, 5:14:15 PM10/11/19
to Dixonary
I remain unconvinced this could be a scientific term, so let's throw a few votes toward two under-appreciated gems, both of which seem more or less plausible.

2 & 6