Round 3000 - mistake.

Mike Shefler

Jul 22, 2019, 10:55:19 AM7/22/19
to Dixonary
Sorry, I left the last few lines out of the last def. Here is the full def. Voting deadline remains the same.
Long words (or phrases) lead to long defs. Here are 11 for OLD JOHNNY HAIRY, CRAP IN.
Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 5 PM EDT, Tuesday, July 23.

1.  in roulette, an outside bet on black.

2.  an alternate version of "garbage in, garbage out."

3.  One who has escaped, though deserving of the gallows.

4.  the last line of a count-me-in, count-me-out children's game.

5.  from an old work song, it means "it is never too late to make a
contribution to the common good".

6.  traditional RAF mechanics’ exhortation for a repair to succeed (from
‘crap out’, to break or fail).

7.  the process of adding yeast to the mash to facilitate the
fermentation of moonshine.  (N. Amer. sl.)

8.  a cocktail comprised of whiskey, tequila, lime juice, and simple
syrup, topped with ginger beer and Angostura bitters.

9.  a coarse invitation to hurry up (thought to be from a phonetic
corruption of an Urdu phrase of that meaning, acquired by English
sailors loading cargo in Indian ports).

10.  another name for the species of cushion plant known as vegetable
sheep (Raoulia rubra). A native of the Rocky Mountains, the vegetable
sheep plant has small white flowers and hairy leaves which, from a
distance, gives it a sheep-like appearance.

11.
An old English game where all players sit round the fire and put out their right
feet. The master of the game repeats—' Onery, twoery, dickery,
dary, Wispey, spindey, spoke of the lindey, Old Johnny Hairy,
Crap in.' Each word is repeated to a man ; and when the leader
comes to 'Crap in,' the man specified draws in his foot. When
all have drawn in their feet but one, this one must then kneel
down, and his eyes being blindfolded, the master of the game puts
his elbow on his back and strikes him with his elbow or fist,
saying—'Hurley, hurley, trump the trace, the cow ran through
the market-place. Simon Alley hunt the buck, How many horns
stand up ?' at the same time holding up several fingers. The man
kneeling down has to guess the number. If he guesses correctly,
the master of the game takes his place. If he fails to guess, he is
kept down and another man goes and strikes his back, and so on.

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 22, 2019, 11:09:48 AM7/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Um! #9 and #11 for me please - and a question: is #11 the longest def played?

Johnny;_Old, Hairy, Crap-in

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 22, 2019, 11:20:28 AM7/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure. I used the old DOS program Babble to create a very lengthy def once, but don't have the data from that round. It was a very long time ago.

--Mike

Hugo Kornelis

Jul 22, 2019, 11:21:34 AM7/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,

Despite sending a def twice, I don't see mine listed at all. Did you ever receive it?

(I don't care about the points; I thought it was neat and was looking forward to seeing if I'd be able to fool anyone).

Anyway, with that out of the way. Here are the votes from the Dutch jury.

#8 and #9. (In other words: hurry up and get drunk)

Cheers,
Hugo

Tim Lodge

Jul 22, 2019, 12:19:28 PM7/22/19
to Dixonary
I'll try the games: 4 and 11, please.

4.  the last line of a count-me-in, count-me-out children's game.

11. An old English game where all players sit round the fire  ... ...  ... If he fails to guess, he is kept down and another man goes and strikes his back, and so on.

--  Tim L

Daniel B. Widdis

Jul 22, 2019, 1:42:38 PM7/22/19
to Mike Shefler, Dixonary
4 and 11 for me.

Def 11 weighs in at 916 characters, which might be a record.

A brief survey of the archives indicates Jim Hart submitted a 901-character definition for Omber in round 1123, but it was too long for the AutoDealer software to process and was edited (shortened) for the voting list.

Round 1216 saw an 846-character real definition for Vannevar, dealt by Hugo Kornelis from the Jargon Dictionary.  It got the most votes.

I'm pretty proud of my own ASCII-art block-and-tackle definition for Cockbell in round 981, which consumed 907 characters of the screen but a lot of it was whitespace. It earned me the deal.

Shani Naylor

Jul 22, 2019, 10:19:57 PM7/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote at the simpler end of the list: 1 & 3.

—Keith Hale—

Jul 22, 2019, 11:29:33 PM7/22/19
to dixonary
(I voted on my phone, and i think only Shani got it.)

Jul 22, 2019, 11:42:38 PM7/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I was the only one... I'm flattered (I think). We missed you, Keith. What's the insanely busy job?

Debbie

Jul 23, 2019, 8:59:57 AM7/23/19
to France International/Mike Shefler, Dixonary
1 and 9 please

Ryan McGill

Jul 23, 2019, 1:30:13 PM7/23/19
to Dixonary
7 & 10.

7.  the process of adding yeast to the mash to facilitate the
fermentation of moonshine.  (N. Amer. sl.)

Efrem G Mallach

Mike Shefler

Jul 23, 2019, 5:07:00 PM7/23/19
to Dixonary
Hugo,

For some reason, I do not receive emails from you. I do not even get Dixonary messages from you. I just now saw your message when I went to the dixonary forum. So, please try to send me an email to my alternate address - stampsb...@gmail.com. I'm interested to know it that one gets through.

Mike

Hugo Kornelis

Jul 24, 2019, 2:12:21 AM7/24/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com, stampsb...@gmail.com, mshefler
Hi Mike,

This message goes to the group, to your normal mail, and to your alternate mail.
It'll be interesting to see whether any of these get through.

Cheers,
Hugo

Op 23-7-2019 om 23:07 schreef Mike Shefler:
Hugo,

For some reason, I do not receive emails from you. I do not even get Dixonary messages from you. I just now saw your message when I went to the dixonary forum. So, please try to send me an email to my alternate address - stampsb...@gmail.com. I'm interested to know it that one gets through.

Mike

Efrem Mallach

Jul 24, 2019, 8:11:04 AM7/24/19
to Hugo Kornelis, dixo...@googlegroups.com, stampsb...@gmail.com, mshefler
Hugo,

It got to the group, or at least to this part of it.

Efrem

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Shefler

Jul 24, 2019, 10:56:49 AM7/24/19