[Dixonary] Round 3105 CAGG results

Efrem G Mallach

Sep 18, 2020, 9:33:33 AM9/18/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

A cagg is, in fact, one of the less believable definitions in this list: def. #7. Grose's 1811 dictionary has this to say:

To cagg; a military term used by the private soldiers, signifying a solemn vow or resolution not to get drunk for a certain time; or, as the term is, till their cagg is out: which vow is commonly observed with the strictest exactness. Ex. I have cagg’d myself for six months. Excuse me this time, and I will cagg myself for a year. This term is also used in the same sense among the common people of Scotland, where it is performed with divers ceremonies.

I recall being quite pleased to discover this odd word, though I don't remember where I did, and am not entirely surprised that nobody got it. I certainly wouldn't have.

In the voting, Mike Shefler jumped out to an early lead with #12, his clinker-built sailboat, and never relinquished it. He has the next deal. As a side comment, I had no idea that clinker-built construction was used that early, but my good friend Google says (among other things) that it was the Vikings' standard construction method. Second-place honors go to Ryan McGill, #6, for a lot of something.

Apologies to Paul Keating and Tim Lodge for not reproducing their italics in the emailed definition list. I don't think that affected the voting.

Full results:

1. gorse; furze. From Madnick, J. who voted 12, 14. Voted for by: Shepherdson, N. Score: 1.

2. abbr. for Cagoule From Barrs, J. who voted 8, 9. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

3. an unnecessary part. From Abell, T. who did not vote. Voted for by: Shefler, M.; Embler, D. Score: 2.

4. to mistreat or intimidate. From Carson, C. who did not vote. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

5. [Naut.] a short turn in a rope. From Widdis, D. who voted 11, 13. Voted for by: Mallach, A.; Naylor, S. Score: 2.

6. a thick piece or a large amount of something. From McGill, R. who did not vote. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Shefler, M.; Embler, D. Score: 3.

7. a solemn vow or resolution not to drink alcohol for a certain time. From Dictionary which could not vote. Voted for by: None. Score: D0.

8. the calicification that forms around a deep sea sulfurous hot spring. From Shepherdson, N. who voted 1, 13. Voted for by: Barrs, J. Score: 1.

9. [Slang] a difficult or troubled situation, esp. in the phrase _to be in the cagg_. From Lodge, T. who voted 6, 10. Voted for by: Barrs, J.; Bourne, T. Score: 2.

10. a frame or barrow on which falcons were carried to the hunt [MDu cage 'coop', 'hutch']. From Keating, P. who voted 12, 14. Voted for by: Lodge, T. Score: 1.

11. a kind of large jar, principally used for grain storage, from the pueblos of New Mexico. From Bourne, T. who voted 9, 12. Voted for by: Widdis, D. Score: 1.

12. a clinker-built sailing vessel used in the British Isles in the 12th and 13th centuries. From Shefler, M. who voted 3, 6. Voted for by: Madnick, J.; Keating, P.; Bourne, T.; Mallach, A.; Naylor, S. Score: 5.

13. [orig. from Gaelic] Irish slang, a cheapskate, a cheat, someone who fails to pay their debts. From Mallach, A. who voted 5, 12. Voted for by: Widdis, D.; Shepherdson, N. Score: 2.

14. a vessel fitted out to supply ardent spirits, etc. usually in exchange for fish, to the deep-sea fishers in the North Sea; a floating grog-shop. From Naylor, S. who voted 5, 12. Voted for by: Madnick, J.; Keating, P. Score: 2.

No definition from Embler, D. who voted 3, 6. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

For those who prefer tables, here are the results in that form, in descending score order without regard for tie-breaking precedence:

Round 3105 results.pdf

Judy Madnick

Sep 18, 2020, 9:40:45 AM9/18/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on the D0!

Judy

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, September 18, 2020 at 6:33 AM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Folks,

It's all yours, Mike!

And a happy New Year to all our Jewish players and friends. I hope the next twelve months are better than the last nine or so have been - and that's for all of us, regardless of your religious preference or whether you even have one.

Now I have to go to the supermarket.

Efrem

Johnb - co.uk