Rd. 2988: Vote now for ANTA!

nancygoat

Jun 4, 2019, 2:42:11 PM6/4/19
to Dixonary

Hi all,

Very sorry for the delay in posting.  I had some health issues yesterday and went to bed early – totally forgetting to post until just now.  I really hope this is a correct list but the omens are fairly bad -- forgetting to post, pouring down rain outside, but I'm hoping everything is well.  Forgive any formatting problems.  I had a struggle to post it correctly.

Anyway,we have 14 definitions to choose from, only one of which is the right one. Please vote for two of these lovely definitions before 10 p.m. CDT on Wednesday June 5.  That’s 11 p.m. EDT, same day.  4 a.m. on Thursday June 6 GMT.  I'm extending the deadline a bit because I have to give a talk on Wednesday evening.

Happy voting!

Nancy

1.       A morbid fear of exams.

2.       [Arch.] a small block used as a repeating decorative element, e.g., under an eave.

3.      the inky cap mushroom when the edges have turned up and the gills have begun to deliquesce

4.    [Gael.] a waterfall.

5.     The primary entrance to a theater or opera house.

6.      duress of some kind.

7.       [Geol.] a high plain between two mountain ranges.

8.     wooden-soled Japanese shoe

9.       A ridge with a gentle slope on one side and a cliff on the other.

10.   A pier produced by thickening a wall at its termination.

11.   [Chinese] a small, outdoor clay oven

12.   Polish sour rye soup.

13.   "Cash" coins minted with a center hole.

14.   (Art) Having the ground engraved or cut out in the parts to be enameled; inlaid in depressions made in the ground; -- said of a kind of enamel work in which depressions made in the surface are filled with enamel pastes, which are afterward fired; also, designating the process of making such enamel work.

Judy Madnick

Jun 4, 2019, 3:00:27 PM6/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 9, please.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 4, 2019, 3:38:19 PM6/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I'll go architectural  but there are three so -- #2 and #10 ---

JohnnyB

2.       [Arch.] a small block used as a repeating decorative element, e.g., under an eave.

10.   A pier produced by thickening a wall at its termination.

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Tim Lodge

Jun 4, 2019, 5:19:19 PM6/4/19
to Dixonary
This round's wrong guesses are 6 and 9.

6.      duress of some kind.

9.       A ridge with a gentle slope on one side and a cliff on the other.

--  Tim L

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 4, 2019, 5:34:38 PM6/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 2 and 9.

Daniel Widdis

Jun 4, 2019, 11:10:02 PM6/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

2 and 3 please!

Debbie

Jun 5, 2019, 8:02:05 AM6/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
11 and 5
Thanks

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 11:10 PM Daniel Widdis <wid...@dixonary.net> wrote:

2 and 3 please!

Dave Cunningham

Jun 5, 2019, 9:50:02 AM6/5/19
to Dixonary
2 and 10 with ah honorable mention for 14.

Dave

Guerri Stevens

Jun 5, 2019, 10:06:58 AM6/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for 3 and 14.

On 6/4/2019 2:42 PM, nancygoat wrote:

Hi all,

3.      the inky cap mushroom when the edges have turned up and the gills have begun to deliquesce

Efrem G Mallach

Ryan McGill

Jun 5, 2019, 2:30:49 PM6/5/19
to Dixonary
Oddly, I find a lot of these believable.

4 & 8, for my usual reasons.

4.    [Gael.] a waterfall.

8.     wooden-soled Japanese shoe

Tony Abell