[Dixonary] Round 3124 OXER Voting Time

Efrem G Mallach

Dec 3, 2020, 11:31:22 PM12/3/20
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary
Folks,

A respectable 14 definitions of OXER  follow. One - only one - is correct. The rest are products of your imaginations. They have been edited, very slightly, for format consistency and are in ascending order by character count. That might not always correspond to visual length in your email display font.

Please vote for two by Reply to this message before the deadline that follows the list. If you realize on seeing the definitions that you know what OXER means, let me know by private email to emal...@verizon.net

1. the aubergine.

2. a short-sleeved sweater.

3. a lazy or feckless person; an idler.

4. a wading shorebird with a reddish bill.

5. the  western cattle egret Bubulcus ibis.

6. slang term for a native of Auckland, New Zealand.

7. in equestrian competition, a horse jump with two rails.

8. [obs.] a neckerchief, often made of silk or other soft material.

9. [obs. Yorkshire dial.] an eight year old, or a small child; poss. from German acht.

10. a minor local ruler or official of the Persian Parthian and Sasanian Empires (248 BC–651 AD).

11. a large serving platter, usually silver but sometimes gold, on which meat would be served in medieval times.

12. a spicy stew, similar to Irish or Mulligan stew; popular as the basis for civic fund-raisers in the American Midwest.

13. [Mach.] a rolled bar or plate of iron having one or more angles, used for forming the corners, or connecting or sustaining the sides of an iron structure to which it is riveted.

14. colloquial for "oxpecker" [endemic to Sub-Saharan savannah, one of two species of bird that ride large mammals feeding on insects and ticks that infest the hide of these animals]

Votes are due about 41 hours from now, as defined by the top row of the following table. The others are conversions by timeanddate.com. They're usually reliable, but use them at your own risk.

and other times in other places.

New players are welcome to vote, as are old friends who didn't submit a definition. The only requirement is that you not know what the word means. Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules .

Vote away!

Efrem

Paul Keating

Dec 4, 2020, 2:25:23 AM12/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 & 13.

Tim B

Dec 4, 2020, 4:07:33 AM12/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 7, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

France International/Mike Shefler

Dec 4, 2020, 9:09:06 AM12/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll fall for 2 and 8.

Judy Madnick

Dec 4, 2020, 9:16:02 AM12/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll fall for these:

6. slang term for a native of Auckland, New Zealand.
and
8. [obs.] a neckerchief, often made of silk or other soft material.

Judy Madnick

Debbie

Dec 4, 2020, 9:33:06 AM12/4/20
to Dixonary
3 and 9 please

PastedGraphic-1.png

Daniel B Widdis

Dec 4, 2020, 11:02:54 AM12/4/20
to Dixonary

I’ll fall for 7 and 9.

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Dec 4, 2020, 12:29:16 PM12/4/20
to Dixonary
4 and 9 today.   Just had a relative die so things are a tiny bit weird.
Dave

Fein, Deborah

Dec 4, 2020, 3:19:44 PM12/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 8 please.   Deb F.

Dec 4, 2020, 4:46:15 PM12/4/20
to Dixonary
Our condolences, Dave. My husband's mother was laid to rest this past Wednesday so I feel ya!

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

    ***FAITH OVER FEAR!!!***

Johnb - co.uk

Dec 4, 2020, 5:11:14 PM12/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Dave
commiserations
JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Dec 4, 2020, 7:06:00 PM12/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Judy

Dec 5, 2020, 1:07:14 AM12/5/20
to Dixonary
I'll take 2 (for which we need a word) and 9.

Johnb - co.uk

Dec 5, 2020, 4:51:00 AM12/5/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

On 05/12/2020 06:07, nancygoat wrote:
I'll take 2 (for which we need a word)

When I was a child in UK 70 ears ago the word 'pullover' was restricted to mean a short-sleeved knitted (at home by mothers) garment, long enough to go over the waist and sometimes a buttoned cardigan... I note that the dictionaries claim that over here in UK the word 'tank-top' means that and I suspect that such a meaning is actually incorrect for I do not understand that tank-tops are knitted garments (and definitely cannot be opened like cardigans)

So. 'yes' we do need a word

Amazon suggests knitted 'sweater vest' and 'gilet' for men with the addition of 'pullover' or 'slipover' in many of them designated for women: Looking up 'gilet' suggests that this is a possible - knitted gilet (or waistcoat)

OED gilet: 3. Any of various types of sleeveless jacket worn by either sex; spec. a light sleeveless padded jacket.

JohnnyB

amal...@comcast.net

Dec 5, 2020, 1:52:52 PM12/5/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Who knows? I’ll try two birds (?) – 5 and 6.

Alan