Round 3270 SNADE Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Jul 29, 2022, 3:32:17 PM7/29/22
to Dixonary
The deadline extension only produced two more defs, so here we have 9 defs of the word SNADE, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        09:00 UTC/GMT on Sunday 31st July
        10:00 BST in London
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EDT in New York
         2:00 AM PDT in California
        21:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** SNADE ***

 1.  Clean-shaven.

 2.  Something nasty.

 3.  [OE] a pen enclosing a small pond for keeping ducks or geese.

 4.  (Mediev.) a coarse sand mixed with potash to produce glass windows

 5.  [Cornish dialect]  A piece cut from the tail of a mackerel for use as bait.

 6.  In English folk magic and witchcraft, a healer, diviner and breaker of spells.

 7.  In curling, a throw that misses the house but knocks an opponent's stone into it.

 8.  An ornament, such as a rosette or knot of ribbon, usually worn on the hat as a badge.

 9.  A piece of wood split off from timber, esp. such a piece used in building a fire, a block, a billet.

Paul Keating

Jul 29, 2022, 3:35:51 PM7/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I vote for 3 & 8.

Judy Madnick

Jul 29, 2022, 3:46:05 PM7/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try 3 and 4:

 3.  [OE] a pen enclosing a small pond for keeping ducks or geese.

 4.  (Mediev.) a coarse sand mixed with potash to produce glass windows

Judy Madnick

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 29, 2022, 3:58:20 PM7/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 4 and 8.

Berger, Deborah

Jul 29, 2022, 4:22:12 PM7/29/22
to Dixonary
3 and 5 look good to me.

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Jul 29, 2022, 4:23:39 PM7/29/22
to Dixonary

Sorry I missed submitting one.

I’ll go with 5 and 8.

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Tim Lodge <d...@timlodge.co.uk>
Date: Friday, July 29, 2022 at 12:32 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Shani Naylor

Jul 29, 2022, 10:32:11 PM7/29/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Ducks & curling for me. 3 & 7.

John Barrs

Jul 30, 2022, 7:02:03 AM7/30/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
having no idea I will go for the two bits #5 and #9

JohnnyB

Chowie

Jul 30, 2022, 8:25:16 AM7/30/22
to Dixonary
1 and 2 please.

Tim Lodge

Jul 30, 2022, 9:13:08 AM7/30/22
to Dixonary
Jul 30, 2022, 6:45:02 PM7/30/22
to Tim Lodge

I fancy the removed pieces: 5 and 9:

> 5. [Cornish dialect] A piece cut from the tail of a mackerel for use as
> bait.

Efrem Mallach

Tim Lodge

Jul 31, 2022, 4:53:15 AM7/31/22
to Dixonary
There will be a slight delay - I'll post results at about 1130 BST/6.30AM EDT.

-- Tim L