Round 2986 VADIE Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

May 27, 2019, 7:12:24 AM5/27/19
to Dixonary
Here are 10 carefully-crafted defs of the word VAIDIE, only one of which came from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites before the deadline:

     22:00 BST on Tuesday 28th May here in the UK
     23:00 CET
      5.00 PM EDT
      2:00 PM PDT
     10:00 on Wednesday 29th in New Zealand

New palyers are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

-- Tim L

 *** VAIDIE ***

 1.  Subtlety, guileful cunning.

 2.  sleeveless jacket worn beneath a hauberk

 3.  precise [from OF _voi_ _die_ to see the day]

 4.  [Old Norse] A guardian or warrior type angel.

 5.  the spindle of the tailstock of a turning lathe

 6.  [P.E.]  welcome or farewell (derivation unknown)

 7.  [Scot.] a shared passage between two tenement houses.

 8.  [Ice.] A small sprite whose appearance is believed to herald the approach of spring.

 9.  A handful of leaves or grass thrown down at intervals by gypsies to indicate their course.

10. An inner chamber in a traditional Muslim home which only women may use for prayer and socializing.

Dave Cunningham

May 27, 2019, 8:36:57 AM5/27/19
to Dixonary
3 and 7 as not fully absurd.

Dave

On Monday, May 27, 2019 at 7:12:24 AM UTC-4, Tim Lodge wrote:
Here are 10 carefully-crafted defs of the word VAIDIE, only one of which came from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites before the deadline:
.

Tim B

May 27, 2019, 9:23:01 AM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 and 5, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Johnb - co.uk

May 27, 2019, 9:47:14 AM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#1 and #6 for me please

JohnnyB
 1.  Subtlety, guileful cunning.

 6.  [P.E.]  welcome or farewell (derivation unknown)

Judy Madnick

May 27, 2019, 9:53:03 AM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
 5.  the spindle of the tailstock of a turning lathe
     and
7.  [Scot.] a shared passage between two tenement houses.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Debbie

May 27, 2019, 10:37:21 AM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
8 and 2... not convinced of any

France International/Mike Shefler

May 27, 2019, 10:38:11 AM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 6 and 9.

Tony Abell

May 27, 2019, 11:25:02 AM5/27/19
to Tim Lodge

I'll take 1 and 6, please:

>  1.  Subtlety, guileful cunning.

Daniel B Widdis

May 27, 2019, 11:44:53 AM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
The passage and chamber seem likely. 7 and 10 please.

Efrem G Mallach

May 27, 2019, 3:54:44 PM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Efrem G Mallach

May 27, 2019, 3:57:25 PM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Ooops - hit "send" too soon just a moment ago.

Anyhow, none of them are nearly as plausible as my small vole from northern England would have been, but I wouldn't have been able to vote for that one anyhow. So, I'll take 7 and 9.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On May 27, 2019, at 7:12 AM, Tim Lodge <d...@timlodge.co.uk> wrote:

Here are 10 carefully-crafted defs of the word VAIDIE, only one of which came from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites before the deadline:

     22:00 BST on Tuesday 28th May here in the UK
     23:00 CET
      5.00 PM EDT
      2:00 PM PDT
     10:00 on Wednesday 29th in New Zealand

New palyers are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

-- Tim L

 *** VAIDIE ***

 7.  [Scot.] a shared passage between two tenement houses.

 9.  A handful of leaves or grass thrown down at intervals by gypsies to indicate their course.

Ryan McGill

May 27, 2019, 4:01:27 PM5/27/19
to Dixonary
2 & 4.

9 is unconvincing because they’ve been largely known as Romani for the better part of two decades now, especially among the dictionary-writing demographic.

Efrem G Mallach

May 27, 2019, 4:10:28 PM5/27/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Tim might be using an old dictionary. My unabridged paper dictionary is from the 1980s. I have no plans to get a new one, though I do look at it once in a while.

Efrem

nancygoat

May 27, 2019, 7:30:27 PM5/27/19
to Dixonary