Rnd 3033 -New Word RUDISTS

Johnb - co.uk

Dec 5, 2019, 5:37:55 AM12/5/19
to Dixonarians

Actually I wanted to play "SHIP LOAD" but couldn't see any sensible way of eliminating the usual load of cobblers. It is a weight measure for coal = one Ship Load = 20 keels (=  about 430 tons (tonnes)) used in 20th Century for coals from Newcastle ... however

so, in keeping with the political and seasonal  festivities I ask for definitions and DQs for RUDISTS

Don't look it up but please submit to jo...@john-barrs.co.uk or johnn...@gmail.com

Time frame - by 10pm GMT tomorrow 6th December and other times appropriately

Thanks

--
JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Dec 5, 2019, 9:14:49 AM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Any relation to nudists? Walking around being rude?

Judy/NAD (obviously!)

Dec 5, 2019, 10:29:38 AM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. It must refer to going around raked.

Efrem/nad

Sent from my iPhone

=====================

Debbie

Dec 5, 2019, 11:29:08 AM12/5/19
to Dixonary
Rude nudists?
NAD

France International/Mike Shefler

Dec 5, 2019, 12:56:17 PM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
People who believe everything Giuliani says.

Benj. Evans

Dec 5, 2019, 6:05:10 PM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Is there a limit to the length of definitions? :D

Shani Naylor

Dec 5, 2019, 6:15:51 PM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben

There's no limit. There are  some pretty long defs played occasionally.

Cheers from windy Wellington
Shani

France International/Mike Shefler

Dec 5, 2019, 6:27:17 PM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I made up a def that ran for several paragraphs. It won me the deal, so beware.

--Mike

Efrem G Mallach

Dec 5, 2019, 8:11:20 PM12/5/19
to Dixonary
Benjamin,

You're basically trying to second-guess people's thought processes. At first glance you might think "Nobody will ever believe a definition that's that long." But then you might think they will reason "Nobody would submit a fake definition that's that long, because nobody would believe it, so it must be the real one." And then you think "Because people will reason that way that it must be the real one, I'll submit a long fake and people will vote for it." And then you think they will think "Because that logic is so obvious, nobody would submit such a long definition, so it must be real; so I'll submit one."

And so it goes, back and forth.

However, a warning: if we see one very long definition in the list THIS time, we'll know it's yours!

Unless, of course, it's the real one.

Efrem

Stephen Dixon

Dec 5, 2019, 8:17:50 PM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
One way to outthink people is to make them think that you think what they think you think.

--
Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

With the right music, you either forget everything...OR, you remember everything.

Benj. Evans

Dec 5, 2019, 8:18:25 PM12/5/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Well, Efrem, you assume that by "limit" I meant upper limit. Could I not also mean the lower limit? Perhaps I mean to send in a definition that consists of one letter.

Efrem G Mallach

Dec 5, 2019, 8:18:38 PM12/5/19
to Dixonary

Efrem G Mallach

Dec 5, 2019, 8:19:36 PM12/5/19
to Dixonary
One-word definitions are fairly common. Sometimes they're short words. One letter might be pushing it, but if it works, why not?

Johnb - co.uk

Dec 6, 2019, 5:41:10 AM12/6/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I think we would know what a single letter meant, but we have played several two letter words

JohnnyB

Debbie

Dec 7, 2019, 8:51:34 AM12/7/19
to Dixonary
I have a rules question: If a definition has a semicolon and then further explanation after the semicolon, is it allowable to only post the first part of the definition?

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

This life is temporary. This life is short.  When this life is over, our bodies will die and become empty shells, but our souls will continue to live forever.  Where will the “real you” live?  Will you live for all eternity separated from God?  Or will you spend eternity in the presence of God in heaven?   Learn more so you can make your most important decision:
http://www.godlife.com/gospel/  and  http://www.godlife.com/en/about-christianity

Efrem G Mallach

Dec 7, 2019, 10:15:51 AM12/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Here's what the explanatory text in the official rules has to say about that (page 6, just below the midpoint):

Some players (1842) regard everything after the headword in a dictionary en- try as the definition. That is not how lexicographers see it. For them, it is a dictionary article, which may contain one or several definitions; but also an etymology, citations, various kinds of label, and so forth. None of these other elements is, strictly speaking, part of the definition. The lexicographers’ acceptation of definition must be decisive in this game, since we are all playing at being lexicographer.

Dealers often present a dictionary article rather than just a bald definition. Rule 3(b) leaves the dealer a free hand with nondefinition parts of the source dictionary article. Dealers routinely reorder, abbreviate or suppress labels, cross-references, citations and etymologies. Abbreviating an etymology needs skill if the result is not to look fictitious (566). If in doubt, omit an over- long etymology rather than shorten it.

 My interpretation of this is that posting only the first part would be fine.

Efrem

Debbie

Dec 7, 2019, 10:25:26 AM12/7/19
to Dixonary