Round 3204: FARL [Call for votes]

Paul Keating

Oct 19, 2021, 4:01:24 PM10/19/21
to Dixonary Group

The extra time yielded a few more definitions: you now have a baker’s dozen farls to choose from. Editing on my part has been no more than regularization of initial capitals and final points, so if there is any remaining error, it is entirely the definer’s fault.

Please vote for two, in reply to this message, by the deadline, which is Thursday 21 October 21h00 CEST, or 47 hours from time of posting. Having extended the submission phase to 3 days, I will happily close the voting phase as soon as all of the expected votes are in. In the interests of brisk progress and a snappy game, please vote early, vote twice, and maybe we can be done before that.

 1. A hexagonal paving tile or stone.

 2. A tangle, said of hair; a rat’s nest.

 3. A medieval Scandinavian chieftain or nobleman.

 4. A sensory organ that guides food into the mouth of an insect.

 5. The senior earl in in a country who represents the king if he is abroad.

 6. The outermost of three layers of cereal bran left over after processing of Nigerian fermented grain, used for animal feed.

 7. Scottish. Originally, the fourth part of a thin cake made either of flour or oatmeal; now applied to a cake of similar kind and size, whether quadrant-shaped or not [contraction for fardel, representing Old English fēorða dǣl ‘fourth part’].

 8. In medieval times, a tenant farmer with specific rights; a medieval lord could not evict a farl nor hire labour to replace him without legal cause.

 9. A musical stringed instrument, similar in form to a guitar. It is now obsolete.

10. The first distillation of a fermented mash in the making of whiskey.

11. High protein grain often used in Caribbean cuisine.

12. To store rope in coils, tied about the middle.

13. To turn on the spot; to spin round.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Judy Madnick

Oct 19, 2021, 4:29:21 PM10/19/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5. The senior earl in in a country who represents the king if he is abroad.
and
8. In medieval times, a tenant farmer with specific rights; a medieval lord could not evict a farl nor hire labour to replace him without legal cause.

Judy Madnick

Tim B

Oct 19, 2021, 4:48:20 PM10/19/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 13, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Fein, Deborah

Oct 19, 2021, 5:03:12 PM10/19/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#7 is too confusing not to vote for.
I don't believe #4 either, but I love it.
7 and 4

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

7. Scottish. Originally, the fourth part of a thin cake made either of flour or oatmeal; now applied to a cake of similar kind and size, whether quadrant-shaped or not [contraction for fardel, representing Old English fēorða dǣl ‘fourth part’].
12. To store rope in coils, tied about the middle.

-- Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 19, 2021, 8:44:51 PM10/19/21
to Dixonary

7 and 10 please

From: Paul Keating <pjake...@gmail.com> on behalf of Paul Keating <dixo...@boargules.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 1:01 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

The extra time yielded a few more definitions: you now have a baker’s dozen farls to choose from. Editing on my part has been no more than regularization of initial capitals and final points, so if there is any remaining error, it is entirely the definer’s fault.

Ann Druce

Oct 20, 2021, 12:05:42 AM10/20/21
to Dixonary

7 and 13 for me.

Regards

Ann

photo

Ann Druce
Strategically Digital

signature_344258313

signature_314760478

Phone  082 788 8582

Email  a...@anndruce.com

Website  www.anndruce.com

From: Paul Keating <pjake...@gmail.com> on behalf of Paul Keating <dixo...@boargules.com>
Reply to: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, 19 October 2021 at 22:01
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

The extra time yielded a few more definitions: you now have a baker’s dozen farls to choose from. Editing on my part has been no more than regularization of initial capitals and final points, so if there is any remaining error, it is entirely the definer’s fault.

nancygoat

Oct 20, 2021, 12:34:09 AM10/20/21
to Dixonary
I'll take 1 and 10 this time.

Nancy

Debbie Embler

Oct 20, 2021, 8:26:07 AM10/20/21
to Dixonary
Guess I'll make a stab at it with 2 and 12.

Shani Naylor

Oct 20, 2021, 4:12:38 PM10/20/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9 & 13 for me.

Paul Keating

Oct 20, 2021, 7:06:04 PM10/20/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
All,

There is now no prospect, as far as I can see, of a single strategic vote making a difference to the outcome of this round that would benefit the voter (for any sensible value of benefit).

So please vote and let us get going.

Regards

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 21, 2021, 8:09:59 AM10/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
None of them make any friggin' sense! After discarding any that seem to play on jarl or the original meaning of churl, they make even less sense. I'll go for the two that seem most absurd, 6 and 7.

Efrem

========================

On Oct 19, 2021, at 4:01 PM, Paul Keating <dixo...@boargules.com> wrote:

The extra time yielded a few more definitions: you now have a baker’s dozen farls to choose from. Editing on my part has been no more than regularization of initial capitals and final points, so if there is any remaining error, it is entirely the definer’s fault.

Please vote for two, in reply to this message, by the deadline, which is Thursday 21 October 21h00 CEST, or 47 hours from time of posting. Having extended the submission phase to 3 days, I will happily close the voting phase as soon as all of the expected votes are in. In the interests of brisk progress and a snappy game, please vote early, vote twice, and maybe we can be done before that.

France International/Mike Shefler

Oct 21, 2021, 10:09:04 AM10/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 and 7 for me.

Tony Abell

Oct 21, 2021, 10:10:00 AM10/21/21
to Paul Keating

I'll take 7 and 12:

> 7. Scottish.Originally, the fourth part of a thin cake made either of flour or oatmeal; now applied to a cake of similar kind and size, whether quadrant-shaped or not [contraction for fardel, representing Old English fēorða dǣl‘fourth part’].

Fein, Deborah

Oct 21, 2021, 4:40:39 PM10/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
deborah fein is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: deborah fein's Zoom Meeting
Time: Oct 21, 2021 04:45 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 867 2802 0459
Passcode: dDC9u2

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Oct 21, 2021, 5:14:09 PM10/21/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I missed this, I was out at a rehearsal, but I think I wasn't really expected anyway.

Debbie Embler

Oct 21, 2021, 5:23:18 PM10/21/21
to Dixonary
Was this an accident?

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. --Hebrews 10:14

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 21, 2021, 5:24:12 PM10/21/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Yes. She's too embarrassed to say so herself.

Efrem