Round 3205 vote for PRAAV

Mike Shefler

Oct 25, 2021, 12:38:25 PM10/25/21
to Dixonary
ONly got one more def in spite of the deadline extension, so here we go with
11 definitions of praav. Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 10 AM, EDT, Wednesday October 27.

1.  [Thieves slang] empty, of no value (said of a target for robbery).

2.  traditional Lithuanian stew, made with cabbage, goat and beer.

3.  [Slovene] the title of the eldest daughter in a large family where
there are many more daughters than sons.

4.  a school of thought within Hinduism, with a smaller following than
the 6 main philosophies, primarily found in Bangladesh, and
emphasizing worship and recitation of holy texts.

5.  an ardent spirit made originally esp. in Poland, chiefly distilled
from potatoes.

6.  self-important; snobbish.

7.  a hornblende-biotite granite first described by Finnish petrologist
Jakob Sederholm in 1891. When used as a building material it is also
known as Baltic Brown.

8.  in Hinduism, the quality of God as preserver and protector,
personified in Vishnu.

9.  follower, adherent.

10.  a sea-worm, of the family Nereidae.

11.  of a bird; to lose height rapidly by flying upside down.

Debbie Embler

Oct 25, 2021, 12:52:53 PM10/25/21
to Dixonary
6 and 7 please.

Judy Madnick

Fein, Deborah

Oct 25, 2021, 1:25:59 PM10/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Not the foggiest, so I'll go with 5 and 2.  YUM.

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Oct 25, 2021, 1:29:54 PM10/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea of an ardent spirit and it must have been imbibed in order to fly upside down

so #5 and #11 please

JohnnyB

Paul Keating

Oct 25, 2021, 1:42:41 PM10/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I would go for the food & drink, but it doesn't look to me much like Polish or Lithuanian.  I'll take 1 and 10.

Tim Lodge

Oct 25, 2021, 1:56:03 PM10/25/21
to Dixonary
I'll suspend disbelief and vote for 7 and 8.

7.  a hornblende-biotite granite first described by Finnish petrologist
Jakob Sederholm in 1891. When used as a building material it is also
known as Baltic Brown.

8.  in Hinduism, the quality of God as preserver and protector,
personified in Vishnu.

-- Tim L
Message has been deleted

Tim B

Oct 26, 2021, 4:29:39 AM10/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Ann Druce

Oct 26, 2021, 6:11:22 AM10/26/21
to Dixonary

1 and 9 for me.

Regards

Ann

photo

Ann Druce
Strategically Digital

signature_676222928

signature_1995904829

Phone  082 788 8582

Email  a...@anndruce.com

Website  www.anndruce.com

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 26, 2021, 9:51:42 AM10/26/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Narrowed it down to three that seem marginally less implausible than the others, then probably tossed the real one ... anyhow, 4 and 7.

Efrem

========================

On Oct 25, 2021, at 12:38 PM, 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

ONly got one more def in spite of the deadline extension, so here we go with
11 definitions of praav. Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 10 AM, EDT, Wednesday October 27.

4.  a school of thought within Hinduism, with a smaller following than the 6 main philosophies, primarily found in Bangladesh, and emphasizing worship and recitation of holy texts.

Shani Naylor

Oct 26, 2021, 2:39:34 PM10/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote 1 & 8 because I don't have any better ideas.

Tony Abell

Oct 26, 2021, 9:59:50 PM10/26/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary

I'll toss my votes away on 5 and 7: