Round 3155: ZEMBLETEE [Call for Votes]

Paul Keating

Apr 2, 2021, 9:35:04 AM4/2/21
to Dixonary Group
Here are twelve definitions, for your entertainment. Please choose two, for mine, in reply to this post, by the deadline, which is Easter Sunday, 4 April at 15h30 CEST, other times for other places here.

  1. [Turkish] typically a very handsome young male dancer, who usually cross-dressed in feminine attire, and was employed as an entertainer
  2. a rotating circular rack for hanging clothes, such as those use in dry-cleaning shops or clothing stores
  3. a line having several branches, each with a sinker, used in deep-sea fishing (Local, U.S.)
  4. the Western identifier of the Chinese ideogram for “mobile phone”
  5. the apparition of a living person; a doppelganger
  6. a blunt-edged sword used for training
  7. a narrow chest of drawers
  8. Obs. rare. by zembletee, in appearance
  9. an argument that escalates into a physical altercation (Obs.)
 10. an official in pre-colonial India assigned to collect the land taxes of his district
 11. part of the fork assembly on a cycle that permits the mounting of a variety of wheel and tire sizes
 12. a game similar to hopscotch, but with the target areas marked in two concentric circles rather than in a straight line

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Judy Madnick

Apr 2, 2021, 10:18:13 AM4/2/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2. a rotating circular rack for hanging clothes, such as those use in dry-cleaning shops or clothing stores (because there should be a cool name for that!)

and

6. a blunt-edged sword used for training (because it sounds wrong, as do many definitions that we see here!)

Judy Madnick

France International/Mike Shefler

Apr 2, 2021, 10:45:07 AM4/2/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Lacking any clues. I'll go with lucky 7 and 11.

--Mike

Johnb - co.uk

Apr 2, 2021, 11:01:44 AM4/2/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#5 and #10 please
JohnnyB

Tim Lodge

Apr 2, 2021, 1:16:07 PM4/2/21
to Dixonary
8 and 9, please.

          8. Obs. rare. by zembletee, in appearance

          9. an argument that escalates into a physical altercation (Obs.)

 -- Tim L

Tim B

Apr 2, 2021, 1:38:02 PM4/2/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 5, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

amal...@comcast.net

Apr 2, 2021, 2:54:53 PM4/2/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Paul – I’ll try 10 and 12.

Alan

Debbie

Apr 2, 2021, 3:03:15 PM4/2/21
to Dixonary
6 and 10.

Efrem G Mallach

Apr 2, 2021, 3:16:19 PM4/2/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

I'll go with modern-ish gadgets: 3 and 11. I hope you find those choices entertaining.

Efrem

==========================

On Apr 2, 2021, at 9:35 AM, Paul Keating <dixo...@boargules.com> wrote:

Here are twelve definitions, for your entertainment. Please choose two, for mine, in reply to this post, by the deadline, which is Easter Sunday, 4 April at 15h30 CEST, other times for other places here.
  3. a line having several branches, each with a sinker, used in deep-sea fishing (Local, U.S.)

Shani Naylor

Apr 2, 2021, 9:55:57 PM4/2/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
They are all unbelievable, so I'll go with:

   5. the apparition of a living person; a doppelganger
  7. a narrow chest of drawers

Daniel B Widdis

Apr 3, 2021, 3:47:17 AM4/3/21
to Dixonary

I’ll go with the Turkish dancer and the “by” expression.  1 and 8.

nancygoat

Apr 3, 2021, 4:33:12 AM4/3/21
to Dixonary
5 and 12 for me.

Nancy

Fein, Deborah

Apr 3, 2021, 6:37:36 PM4/3/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
None of the above?  If not, then 11 and 12.
Debby Fein

University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu