Round 3246: ALMISTRY [Call for Votes]

Paul Keating

Apr 21, 2022, 2:25:54 AM4/21/22
to Dixonary Group

We have a total of 11 definitions of almistry. Please vote for two, in a reply to this posting, by the deadline, which is Saturday 23 April 10h00 CEST.

 1. Something completely mysterious.

 2. The art of decorative (and edible) food arrangements.

 3. A church ministry that helps, i.e., gives alms to, the poor.

 4. The art or process of converting skins into leather; tanning.

 5. The practice of foretelling the future or the course of future events.

 6. A newt in between the terrestrial eft phase and the first aquatic breeding stage.

 7. The heir apparent to an ancient Celtic chief, elected during the chief’s lifetime.

 8. Of, relating to, or constituting a message or ministry; pertaining to, or of the nature of, a ministry.

 9. Obs. As much land as may be tilled by a single plow in a year and a day, used as the basis for taxation.

10. In Islam, a theological concept understood only by advanced scholars [from Arabic al, the; and mistar, hidden].

11. A name given to theories emerging in the late twentieth century drawing ideas from both historical alchemy and traditional medicine, and also owing something to New Age ideas [from alchemy + chemistry].
--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Tim B

Apr 21, 2022, 3:56:30 AM4/21/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tim Lodge

Apr 21, 2022, 7:51:22 AM4/21/22
to Dixonary
In honour of my late father-in-law, who did an apprenticeship in the family tanning business before becoming a pilot, i'll vote for 4, and, because it might be Arabic, I'll go for 10.

         4. The art or process of converting skins into leather; tanning.

        10. In Islam, a theological concept understood only by advanced scholars [from Arabic al, the; and mistar, hidden].

--  Tim L

John Barrs

Apr 21, 2022, 9:53:03 AM4/21/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#5 and #11 for me please

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Apr 21, 2022, 11:08:28 AM4/21/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

4. The art or process of converting skins into leather; tanning.

and

9. Obs. As much land as may be tilled by a single plow in a year and a day, used as the basis for taxation.

Both the least likely (at least to me!). Judy Madnick

France International/Mike Shefler

Apr 21, 2022, 11:17:48 AM4/21/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 1 and 11.

Daniel B. Widdis

Apr 21, 2022, 11:42:43 AM4/21/22
to Dixonary
2 because I'm hungry and appreciate art; and 9 because that's where food comes from

Chowie

Apr 21, 2022, 2:55:53 PM4/21/22
to Dixonary
1 or 3 please

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~
 The words of Zechariah the Prophet, “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on Me, the One they have pierced, and they will mourn for Him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for Him as one grieves for a firstborn son."

Efrem Mallach

Apr 21, 2022, 5:30:44 PM4/21/22
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
4 and 9 for me, please.

Efrem

On Apr 21, 2022, at 2:25 AM, Paul Keating <dixo...@boargules.com> wrote:

We have a total of 11 definitions of almistry. Please vote for two, in a reply to this posting, by the deadline, which is Saturday 23 April 10h00 CEST.

 4. The art or process of converting skins into leather; tanning.

9. Obs. As much land as may be tilled by a single plow in a year and a day, used as the basis for taxation.

Shani Naylor

Apr 22, 2022, 2:00:10 AM4/22/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 & 8 for me.