Round 2991 GARTIE Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Jun 16, 2019, 4:51:09 PM6/16/19
to Dixonary
I wasn't able to post a reminder, and that - combined with the fact that it's a weekend - means that we have only 10 defs of the word GARTIE for your delectation and delight. Please vote for your two favourites before the deadline of:

          10:00 BST on Tuesday 18th June which is:
          09:00 GMT/UTC
          11:00 CET
           5:00 AM EDT
           2:00 AM PDT
          21:00 NZST

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** GARTIE ***

 1.         a bannock.

 2.         [Obs.] a ransom for felony.

 3.         a professional fishing and hunting guide.

 4.         the giving of a shoe as surety of an agreement.

 5.         a stone passing through a wall from face to face.

 6.         an inbred strain of mouse much used in laboratories.

 7.         (Bot.) an egg-shaped gourd, commonly eight to ten inches long.

 8.         a small strip of brightly colored fabric worn under the fold of kilt socks.

 9.         a knitted woolen vest popularized by council members in Edinburgh in the late 19th century.

10.        [Herald., Obs.] a vertical series of linked half circles each alternating in direction. Replaces a bend sinister that applied to the immediate ancestor

Debbie

Jun 16, 2019, 4:58:20 PM6/16/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 8 please

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

This life is temporary. This life is short.  When this life is over, our bodies will die and become empty shells, but our souls will continue to live forever.  Where will the “real you” live?  Will you live for all eternity separated from God?  Or will you spend eternity in the presence of God in heaven?   Learn more so you can make your most important decision:
http://www.godlife.com/gospel/  and  http://www.godlife.com/en/about-christianity

Tim B

Jun 16, 2019, 5:20:26 PM6/16/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 8, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Shani Naylor

Jun 16, 2019, 6:20:41 PM6/16/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I can't resist #4 and I'll also vote for #1 because I don't know what it means.

Judy Madnick

Jun 16, 2019, 7:50:08 PM6/16/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

8.         a small strip of brightly colored fabric worn under the fold of kilt socks.

9.         a knitted woolen vest popularized by council members in Edinburgh in the late 19th century.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 16, 2019, 9:25:39 PM6/16/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 2 and 4.

Tony Abell

Jun 16, 2019, 10:07:22 PM6/16/19
to Tim Lodge

I'll throw votes at 4 and 8:

>  4.         the giving of a shoe as surety of an agreement.

Daniel Widdis

Jun 16, 2019, 11:30:06 PM6/16/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

4 has to be true.  If not, its author deserves points for creativity.

And 8 to keep on the theme of footwear.

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 17, 2019, 4:15:38 AM6/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I'll go for two inside the limits - #2 and #9 please

JohnnyB

Efrem G Mallach

Dave Cunningham

Jun 17, 2019, 10:07:08 AM6/17/19