Round 3092 PYKESTOLE Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Jul 30, 2020, 5:30:41 AM7/30/20
to Dixonary
Here we have a fine selection of defs - 13 in all - of the word PYKESTOLE, only one of which came from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message, before the deadline of:

21:00 BST on Friday 31st July, which is
22:00 CET
20:00 GMT/UTC
 4:00 PM EDT
 1:00 PM PDT
08:00 NZST on Saturday in New Zealand

New players are welcome, just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

 *** PYKESTOLE ***

 1.  [Sc.]  a closure for a sporran.

 2.  to flip or cause to flip end over end.

 3.  (Steam Engine) the lap of a slide valve.

 4.  a gold coin equal to two escudos, formerly used in Spain.

 5.  a component of plate armor to protect the knee or the front of the thighs.

 6.  an especially ornate scarf worn by a bishop during his or her consecration.

 7.  [Obs.] a game or sport formerly played at Ripon, Yorkshire, on Easter Monday.

 8.  an irregular heartbeat where the two ventricles are slightly out of synchronization.

 9.  a large covering, usually having handles and made of leather, used to safely transport quantities of polearms.

10.  transl. of Vulgate _stolam primam_ (Greek στολὴν τὴν πρώτην), ‘the best robe’ in the parable of the Prodigal Son.

11.  a reusable eel bait consisting of a small ball of live earthworms packed in linen and tied with a sheep tendon. (Swed.)

12.  a lavishly ornamented garment worn during Medieval and Early Modern times by the leader of an English band of mummers, or travelling players.

13.  [Obs] a piece of furniture in an armoury; a long legged stool with radial spokes used for sharpening pikes but also turned upside down to store sharpened pikes, (similar use to a modern umbrella stand).

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 30, 2020, 6:16:58 AM7/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I'm going to vote for one of the [Obs]cure ones and also extremely unlikely

#7 and #11 please

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Jul 30, 2020, 8:31:20 AM7/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7.  [Obs.] a game or sport formerly played at Ripon, Yorkshire, on Easter Monday.

13.  [Obs] a piece of furniture in an armoury; a long legged stool with radial spokes used for sharpening pikes but also turned upside down to store sharpened pikes, (similar use to a modern umbrella stand).

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Paul Keating

Jul 30, 2020, 9:21:28 AM7/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9 & 13 for me.

Tim Bourne

Jul 30, 2020, 10:20:53 AM7/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
8 and 12, please.

Best wishes,
Tim.

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 30, 2020, 10:37:56 AM7/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote for 10 because anyone who took the time to write in Greek
deserves a vote, and 11 because eels are cool, especially Swedish eels.

Debbie

Jul 30, 2020, 11:30:31 AM7/30/20
to Dixonary
5 and 13

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 10:37 AM 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'll vote for 10 because anyone who took the time to write in Greek
deserves a vote, and 11 because eels are cool, especially Swedish eels.

Daniel B. Widdis

Jul 30, 2020, 11:58:12 AM7/30/20
to Dixonary
I'll vote for the formerly believable 4 and 7.

Dave Cunningham

Jul 30, 2020, 5:26:23 PM7/30/20
to Dixonary
5 and 7 - we are due for an armor def ...

Dave

Efrem G Mallach

Tony Abell

Jul 30, 2020, 6:43:46 PM7/30/20
to Tim Lodge

I'll settle for 7 and 12:

> 7. [Obs.] a game or sport formerly played at Ripon, Yorkshire, on Easter
> Monday.

Christopher Carson

Jul 30, 2020, 8:23:40 PM7/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I’ll do 7 and 12.

Chris

Jul 30, 2020, 8:41:20 PM7/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Tim -

As usual, they're all thoroughly implausible. Just the same, I'll go with 5 and 6.
Alan

nancygoat

Jul 31, 2020, 12:34:28 AM7/31/20
to Dixonary
I'll take the unpopular 1 and 3.

Nancy

Shani Naylor

Jul 31, 2020, 1:44:41 AM7/31/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll pick the popular 7 and unpopular 2.

Ryan McGill

Jul 31, 2020, 1:58:43 PM7/31/20
to Dixonary
Let's make this a bit more unpredictable. 12 & 13.