[Dixonary] Round 3145 LEISTER results

Efrem G Mallach

Feb 25, 2021, 8:04:33 AM2/25/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Folks,

leister is definition 6: "a fishing spear with three barbed prongs." Maybe some people remembered subconsciously that they had seen this def before - I used it as my fake def of "peccaid," which Mike Shefler dealt in Round 3069 - and were scared off it by that, or thought that it's the definition of a trident so it must be fake. However, John Barrs remembers fishing for salmon with a leister as a youth to avoid buying a very expensive license. This is a person (not John, as far as I know) fishing with a leister:

Paul Keating's roof tiler, def. 9, and Shani Naylor's rocky hill, def. 10, each earned a natural 4. Since Paul is up by one point in the rolling scores, he will be our next dealer. Shani earns traditional "winnah" honors.

Full results follow:

1. [Scot.] a jute dealer. From Lodge, T. who voted 9, 13. Voted for by:  Score: 2.

2. a lightweight cotton quilt. From Shepherdson, N. who voted 7, 12. Voted for by: Cunningham, D. Score: 1.

3. [Brit. slang] a baked bean sandwich. From Fein, D. who voted 9, 10. Voted for by: Madnick, J.; Embler, D. Score: 2.

4. [Lancs.] a patchy morning fog or mist. From Shefler, M. who voted 8, 9. Voted for by: McGill, R. Score: 1.

5. [Naut.] slow in going about, as a ship. From Widdis, D. who did not vote. Voted for by: McGill, R. Score: 1.

6. a fishing spear with three barbed prongs. From Dictionary which could not vote. Voted for by: None Score: D0.

7. a crumbly reddish-coloured cheese made of cow's milk. From Barrs, J. who was DQ. Voted for by: Shepherdson, N.; Naylor, S.; Cunningham, D. Score: 3.

8. a fine-grained quartzite used to line refractory furnaces. From Madnick, J. who voted 3, 13. Voted for by: Shefler, M.; Keating, P.; Bourne, T. Score: 3.

9. [ON, Obs.] a maker or layer of roof-tiles; a house-builder. From Keating, P. who voted 8, 10. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Fein, D.; Shefler, M.; Abell, T. Score: 4.

10. A residual hill that consists of hard rock in an otherwise eroded area. From Naylor, S. who voted 1, 7. Voted for by: Fein, D.; Keating, P.; Bourne, T.; Mallach, A. Score: 4.

11. the legally established price paid to an owner when a slave is critically injured. From Embler, D. who voted 3, 12. Voted for by: None Score: 0.

12. a monk who advised an abbot on the stewardship of the lands and properties owned by the monastery. From Bourne, T. who voted 8, 10. Voted for by: Shepherdson, N.; Embler, D.; Mallach, A. Score: 3.

13. [19c Lancs. Dialect] the drive belt, usually made of rope or woven fabric, used to transmit power in textile machinery. From Mallach, A. who voted 10, 12. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Madnick, J. Score: 2.

No definition from Cunningham, D. who voted 2, 7. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

No definition from Abell, T. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

No definition from McGill, R. who voted 4, 5. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

For those who prefer tables, here are the results in that form, in descending score order without regard for tie-breaking precedence:

It's all yours, Paul!

Efrem

P.S. Got my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Has nothing to do with Dixonary, but felt like telling people.

Judy Madnick

Feb 25, 2021, 8:15:28 AM2/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Nice D0! Congrats!

Judy

Feb 25, 2021, 11:58:36 AM2/25/21
to Dixonary
John, have you ever used an hawaiian sling?

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

      ***Fear is not a Virtue***

Johnb - co.uk

Feb 25, 2021, 12:13:46 PM2/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Debbie,

no but I did use a string to throw arrows (mostly to see how far I could throw) but did catch some birds and rabbits that way. Fishing waters were far too well patrolled so I generally avoided them except for night-lining for eels. The salmon and trout rivers near me started further down the valley

Have you ever read Roald Dahl "Danny the Champion of the World" it is hilarious (and not too far off possibility)

JohnnyB

France International/Mike Shefler

Feb 25, 2021, 12:21:02 PM2/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Is that called babbing in your neck of the woods (word I used in my
first deal on Dixonary)?

--Mike

On 2/25/2021 12:13 PM, Johnb - co.uk wrote:
> night-lining for eels

Shani Naylor

Feb 25, 2021, 1:54:42 PM2/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I thought of the Roald Dahl book when I read about the rum soaked raisins. It's terrific.

Great D0 Efrem and well done for getting your jab.

Johnb - co.uk

Feb 26, 2021, 6:22:22 AM2/26/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Mike -

'babbing' - I think that comes from East Anglia which is not my neck of the woods and also it seems to involve moving, bobbing, the bait.

night lining is putting a fixed line down pegged in to the bank on or below the water surface leaving it and collecting any catch just at dawn the next morning... I used to use a yard of square catapult elastic between the peg (in the bank) and the metal trace to the hook. It was very 'place' sensitive. I can no longer remember what bait but we were only looking to catch eels and never do I remember catching anything else than fairly large eels (between 1 and 1/2 and 4 lbs weight) - not even bootlace eels - and with eels, you don't want to be dealing with too many at once - don't forget this method was and still is highly illegal apart from the poaching aspect

JohnnyB