Round 3252: Vote for SHAKESPEARE-NAVELS

Daniel B Widdis

May 16, 2022, 9:42:58 PM5/16/22
to Dixonary

Each extension collected one additional submission, giving you all a total of ten candidates for your votes.

I’ll set the voting deadline in 38 hours at 8 am PDT on Wednesday, May 17.  That’s 11am EDT, 4 pm BST at the Greenwich Meridian and elsewhere in the UK, 5pm CEST at la Méridienne de France and in most of Europe, and in the wee hours of Thursday morning at 1 am AEST in Melbourne and 3 am NZST in Auckland.

*** SHAKESPEARE-NAVELS ***

1. [Mil. slang] Indentations in a cannonball to increase its range by creating a thin layer of turbulence that reduces drag. (Origin unk., prob. 19c. UK)

2. Small pits or depressions typical of the area around Stratford-on-Avon and now thought to be the result of flint extraction in Neolithic times.

3. Doggerel verse, based on Shakespearean sonnets, popular in 19th century vaudeville.

4. the central themes of Shakespeare's writings.

5. Bad poetry.

6. A type of backless sandal.

7. A long-pointed, turned-down collar

8. Shakespeare's spelling of nave - hence the nave of a church

9. Believed to be the orb of all conscious inspiration and artistic expression.

10. common Shakespeare misquotes, e.g., "gilding the lily" (actual quote: "To gild refined gold, to paint the lily...")

Judy Madnick

May 16, 2022, 10:41:04 PM5/16/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Read 'em all and have no clue.
So I'll go with 1 and 2.

(I like the rhyme!)

Judy Madnick

Daniel B Widdis

May 16, 2022, 10:43:48 PM5/16/22
to Dixonary

But you could have done that in iambic pentameter:

I read ‘em all and still I have no clue.

So I’ll just go with votes for 1 and 2.

Efrem G Mallach

May 16, 2022, 10:58:00 PM5/16/22
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
I read through them all.
Thinking, I had no idea.
So I'll vote 1 - 2.

(That's my attempt at haiku, NOT my votes. Votes will come later, probably tomorrow.)

Efrem

Tim B

May 17, 2022, 4:30:27 AM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Paul Keating

May 17, 2022, 5:24:53 AM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 & 10 for me too.

John Barrs

May 17, 2022, 6:34:37 AM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#6 and #7 for no reason

JohnnyB

Tim Lodge

May 17, 2022, 7:43:05 AM5/17/22
to Dixonary
For no logical reason, 1 and 7, please.

          1. [Mil. slang] Indentations in a cannonball to increase its range by creating a thin layer of turbulence that reduces drag. (Origin unk., prob. 19c. UK)

          7. A long-pointed, turned-down collar

--  Tim L

Judy Madnick

May 17, 2022, 9:12:31 AM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Nothing wrong with a quatrain. :-)

Judy

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Judy Madnick <jmad...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 16, 2022 at 7:41 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Read 'em all and have no clue.

So I'll go with 1 and 2.

(I like the rhyme!)

Judy Madnick

On Mon, May 16, 2022, 9:42 PM Daniel B Widdis <wid...@dixonary.net> wrote:

[...]

Efrem G Mallach

May 17, 2022, 9:14:30 AM5/17/22
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Isn't a quatrain something that closely resembles a string of railroad cars behind a locomotive?

Efrem

France International/Mike Shefler

May 17, 2022, 9:43:40 AM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6 and 7 because they have nothing to do with Shakespeare.

Chowie

May 17, 2022, 9:57:25 AM5/17/22
to Dixonary
5 and 7 ....I guess, therefore I am.

On Mon, May 16, 2022, 9:42 PM Daniel B Widdis <wid...@dixonary.net> wrote:

Judy Madnick

May 17, 2022, 11:36:55 AM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
🙄

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Judy Madnick <jmad...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 16, 2022 at 7:41 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Read 'em all and have no clue.

So I'll go with 1 and 2.

(I like the rhyme!)

Judy Madnick

Efrem G Mallach

May 17, 2022, 3:01:56 PM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 3 for me. No reasons. Not just that I'm not posting them; I don't have any.

Efrem

========================

On May 16, 2022, at 9:42 PM, Daniel B Widdis <wid...@dixonary.net> wrote:

Each extension collected one additional submission, giving you all a total of ten candidates for your votes.

I’ll set the voting deadline in 38 hours at 8 am PDT on Wednesday, May 17.  That’s 11am EDT, 4 pm BST at the Greenwich Meridian and elsewhere in the UK, 5pm CEST at la Méridienne de France and in most of Europe, and in the wee hours of Thursday morning at 1 am AEST in Melbourne and 3 am NZST in Auckland.

*** SHAKESPEARE-NAVELS ***

Daniel B Widdis

May 17, 2022, 5:47:21 PM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I think it’s this:  https://xkcd.com/2591/

Sent from my iPhone

On May 17, 2022, at 6:14 AM, Efrem G Mallach <efrem....@gmail.com> wrote:

Isn't a quatrain something that closely resembles a string of railroad cars behind a locomotive?

Efrem G Mallach

May 17, 2022, 6:27:37 PM5/17/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a duck. Does it walk like a duck? If it does, a qua is a duck. And a qua vita is an intoxicant. So a qua qua vita is a drunk duck.

Tony Abell

May 17, 2022, 10:22:50 PM5/17/22
to Daniel B Widdis

I'll avoid Shakespeare-related choices and take 6 and 7: