Round 3158 GARGYSE Defs -Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Apr 13, 2021, 4:25:23 PM4/13/21
to Dixonary
Here we have 11 imaginative defs of the word GARGYSE, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        09:00 UTC/GMT on Thursday 15th April
        10:00 BST in London
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EST in New York
         2:00 AM PST in California
        21:00 NZDT in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** GARGYSE ***

 1.  thick; viscous.
 2.  fountain of youth
 3.  a disease in cattle.
 4.  to refute; to confute .
 5.  (Arch.) A sunken channel or groove, usually vertical.
 6.  (fr. Greek) Grotesque, ill-featured, poorly-fashioned.
 7.  the scars around the eyes that remain after certain infections.
 8.  freedom from disturbance of mind or passion; stoical indifference.
 9.  to talk insincerely; to prevaricate or equivocate in speech or action.
10.  a close-fitting often laced medieval tunic with long skirts and sleeves.
11.  a mythical creature, resembling a huge cat, that haunts the deep woods of Romania.

Judy Madnick

Apr 13, 2021, 4:33:57 PM4/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm...noun, verb, adjective? I'll go with these:

1.  thick; viscous.
and
 6.  (fr. Greek) Grotesque, ill-featured, poorly-fashioned.

Judy Madnick

France International/Mike Shefler

Apr 13, 2021, 4:35:17 PM4/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 4 and 8.

--Mike

Johnb - co.uk

Apr 13, 2021, 4:35:52 PM4/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#5 and #6 please

JohnnyB

Paul Keating

Apr 13, 2021, 4:43:47 PM4/13/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 & 8 for me.

Fein, Deborah

Apr 13, 2021, 6:12:51 PM4/13/21
to Dixonary
3 and 6 please.

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Apr 13, 2021, 7:52:55 PM4/13/21
to Dixonary
5 and 7

Daniel B Widdis

Apr 14, 2021, 2:33:58 AM4/14/21
to Dixonary

I'll stand on my head and vote for 6 and 9.

Shani Naylor

Apr 14, 2021, 3:58:59 AM4/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 & 11 for me, for no particular reason.

 1.  thick; viscous.

11.  a mythical creature, resembling a huge cat, that haunts the deep woods of Romania.

Tim B

Apr 14, 2021, 6:00:46 AM4/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Efrem G Mallach

amal...@comcast.net

Apr 14, 2021, 10:21:01 AM4/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Much as I like the image of giant tabbies stalking Romanian woods, I don’t buy it. I’ll try 4 and 10 instead.

Alan

amal...@comcast.net

Apr 14, 2021, 10:21:24 AM4/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you.

Efrem G Mallach

Apr 14, 2021, 10:22:17 AM4/14/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Turnabout is fair play.