Round 3051 vote for howskelly

Mike Shefler

Feb 19, 2020, 10:11:23 AM2/19/20
to Dixonary
Here are 13 definitions for HOWSKELLY (who is doing fine, at last report).
Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 5 PM EST, Thursday, February 20.

1.  a random, miscellaneous mixture.

2.  [Obs.] a malingerer (named after Midshipman Howskelly, the infamous
malingerer from the James Fenimore Cooper novella of the same name).

3.  a signal of fire that calls comrades to arms in a time of trouble.

4.  [Scot.] a peat scuttle.

5.  a metal pot or kettle used in camp cooking.

6.  a utensil for baling water out of a boat.

7.  a term originating in Vaudeville for a category of jokes and brief
sketches concerning a missing friend (e.g. "How's Kelly? "Ach, he was
so snockered last night that he never made it home. Walked straight
to the jailhouse.")

8.  any of various succulent plants having leaves arranged in rosettes
with pinkish flowers and often cultivated as garden plants that have
traditionally been grown on roofs in Europe.

9.  [Yorks. sl., Obs.] a device for controlling the flow of liquid from a
pipe to the outside of a building by opening or closing an orifice.

10.  [Pa. Dutch] warm, inviting, of a home; from Ger. haus, home; and
kelig, cuddly.

11.  [Obs.] a kind of dulcimer.

12.  {Scot.] easily provoked to anger or resentment; prone to anger.

13.  a small unpopulated island or large rock.

Daniel B Widdis

Feb 19, 2020, 10:14:44 AM2/19/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 describes this list and I prefer 4 among the Scots defs.

Judy Madnick

Feb 19, 2020, 10:17:37 AM2/19/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with these for absolutely no good reason.

4.  [Scot.] a peat scuttle.

9.  [Yorks. sl., Obs.] a device for controlling the flow of liquid from a pipe to the outside of a building by opening or closing an orifice.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Debbie

Feb 19, 2020, 10:48:32 AM2/19/20
to Dixonary
9 and 2 please

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:38-39)

Stephen Dixon

Feb 19, 2020, 11:00:10 AM2/19/20
to Dixonary Group
Give me #5 and #9, please. They are both correct.

5 & 9

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:11 AM Mike Shefler <sta...@salsgiver.com> wrote:

Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

With the right music, you either forget everything...OR, you remember everything.

Tim B

Feb 19, 2020, 1:45:11 PM2/19/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
11 and 12, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tim Lodge

Feb 19, 2020, 1:56:53 PM2/19/20
to Dixonary
It's a difficult choice this time - I'll try 4 and 5.

4.  [Scot.] a peat scuttle.

5.  a metal pot or kettle used in camp cooking.

--  Tim L

Johnb - co.uk

Feb 19, 2020, 3:57:24 PM2/19/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Um - I don't see my def - but I am losing my memory so maybe it is there - and having read that far I will opt for #12 and #13

JohnnyB

France International/Mike Shefler

Feb 19, 2020, 4:44:48 PM2/19/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Argh. I did leave it out, so 2 DP for you.

On 2/19/2020 3:57 PM, Johnb - co.uk wrote:

Um - I don't see my def - but I am losing my memory so maybe it is there - and having read that far I will opt for #12 and #13

JohnnyB

Dave Cunningham

Feb 19, 2020, 4:49:22 PM2/19/20
to Dixonary
9 and 12 this time out.

Dave

nancygoat

Feb 19, 2020, 11:36:03 PM2/19/20
to Dixonary
I'll take 6 and 10.

Nancy

Shani Naylor

Feb 20, 2020, 3:51:46 AM2/20/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Scots for me: 4 & 12

4.  [Scot.] a peat scuttle.

12.  {Scot.] easily provoked to anger or resentment; prone to anger.

Tony Abell

Feb 20, 2020, 8:29:14 AM2/20/20
to Mike Shefler

I will toss votes in the general direction of 4 and 13:

> 4. [Scot.] a peat scuttle.

Christopher Carson

Feb 20, 2020, 8:44:14 AM2/20/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I’ll go with 4 and 9 this time.

Chris

Efrem G Mallach

Feb 20, 2020, 1:46:25 PM2/20/20
to Dixonary
Two from the north of Britain: 4 and 9.

Efrem

On Feb 19, 2020, at 10:11 AM, Mike Shefler <sta...@salsgiver.com> wrote:

Here are 13 definitions for HOWSKELLY (who is doing fine, at last report).
Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 5 PM EST, Thursday, February 20.

4.  [Scot.] a peat scuttle.

Ryan McGill

Feb 20, 2020, 3:36:21 PM2/20/20
to Dixonary
3 & 8

3.  a signal of fire that calls comrades to arms in a time of trouble.