Round 3071 GINIMONY Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

May 7, 2020, 2:05:30 PM5/7/20
to Dixonary
Here we have 13 defs of the word GINIMONY, only one of which came from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favoutites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        10:00 BST on Saturday 9th May
        09:00 UTC/GMT
        10:00 CET
         5:00 AM EDT
         2:00 AM PDT
        21:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** GINIMONY ***

 1.  inflated manner or style.

 2.  fanciful game money of no real value.

 3.  a Victorian euphemism for intoxication.

 4.  the process of producing twins by parthenogenesis.

 5.  a persistent feeling of malaise with no discernable cause.

 6.  the difference in value of a contract negotiated in guineas rather than pounds.

 7.  the right of a lord of a manor to try anyone accused of theft within his domain.

 8.  an eastern Mediterranean plant having large roots that yield a resin formerly used as a cathartic.

 9.  a substance (not identified) used in a cosmetic preparation intended to reduce redness of the face.

10.  an economic regime characterized by profound economic inequality (from the Gini index of inequality).

11.  [Obs] an allocation of cattle which is entrusted to a foster-parent, to be maintained for the benefit of the foster-child.

12.  a coin, most often a counterfeit, that is made from a base metal core that has been plated with a precious metal to look like its solid metal counterpart.

13.  a sum bequeathed on behalf of an estate in intestacy for the upkeep and maintenance of female descendants who cannot be legally designated heirs due to gender.

France International/Mike Shefler

May 7, 2020, 2:24:23 PM5/7/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll fall for 10 and 13.

Debbie

May 7, 2020, 2:58:45 PM5/7/20
to Dixonary
7 and 13 please

Tim B

May 7, 2020, 3:30:28 PM5/7/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 8, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

May 7, 2020, 3:35:58 PM5/7/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5.  a persistent feeling of malaise with no discernable cause.

9.  a substance (not identified) used in a cosmetic preparation intended to reduce redness of the face.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

nancygoat

May 7, 2020, 4:55:45 PM5/7/20
to Dixonary
I'll take 1 and 10.

Nancy

Daniel B Widdis

May 7, 2020, 8:22:31 PM5/7/20
to Dixonary

I can’t resist combining the Gini Inequality with the Guinea Inequality.

6 and 10 please.

Joseph Leckenby

May 7, 2020, 9:20:39 PM5/7/20
to Dixonary
First and 13

Daniel B Widdis

May 7, 2020, 9:22:30 PM5/7/20
to Dixonary

Welcome to the game, Joseph!

Voting for first and last (to prove you read them all) is a long and glorious tradition.  So is voting for the shortest and longest.  You did both!

Efrem G Mallach

May 7, 2020, 9:49:26 PM5/7/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try the vaguely related #11 and #13.

Efrem

==========================

On May 7, 2020, at 2:05 PM, Tim Lodge <d...@timlodge.co.uk> wrote:

Here we have 13 defs of the word GINIMONY, only one of which came from my dictionary. Please vote for your two favoutites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        10:00 BST on Saturday 9th May
        09:00 UTC/GMT
        10:00 CET
         5:00 AM EDT
         2:00 AM PDT
        21:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** GINIMONY ***

11.  [Obs] an allocation of cattle which is entrusted to a foster-parent, to be maintained for the benefit of the foster-child.

13.  a sum bequeathed on behalf of an estate in intestacy for the upkeep and maintenance of female descendants who cannot be legally designated heirs due to gender.

Shani Naylor

May 8, 2020, 4:45:07 AM5/8/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 & 7 for me.

Johnb - co.uk

May 8, 2020, 6:39:18 AM5/8/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#4 and #11 for me please

JohnnyB

ALAN MALLACH

May 8, 2020, 8:23:14 AM5/8/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I haven't a clue, so I'll go with 4 and 13.
Alan

Tony Abell

May 8, 2020, 10:43:24 AM5/8/20
to Tim Lodge

The monetary ones for me, 11 and 13:

> 11. [Obs] an allocation of cattle which is entrusted to a foster-parent,
> to be maintained for the benefit of the foster-child.

Guerri Stevens

May 12, 2020, 4:38:12 PM5/12/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for 5 and 8. Mainly to announce that I am still  alive. If I can figure out how to send a message to the whole group, I will tell you where I am in life (in other words I will whine). I should send out word to John if he's still around. Plus let him know that our yaupon is thriving. I don't recall in which round it was dealt.

Efrem G Mallach

May 12, 2020, 4:46:30 PM5/12/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear from you, Guerri! Whine away!

Efrem