A lovely word

Johnb - co.uk

Aug 12, 2019, 2:41:48 PM8/12/19
to Dixonarians

People

I have just discovered 'backronym' - it is usually an already existing acronym which has individual words changed but with really changing the overall meaning (like Experimental Safety Vehicles to Enhanced Safety Vehicle)

Isn't our language wonderful!

--
John

France International/Mike Shefler

Aug 12, 2019, 3:09:08 PM8/12/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
There used to be another game played by the dixonary group long ago - I forget when - where the "dealer" would post an acronym and the players would make up what it stood for and then vote on the best response.

Daniel B. Widdis

Aug 12, 2019, 4:59:05 PM8/12/19
to Dixonary
And the former MPGames / Gamers folks from CompuServe now play it here:

Ryan McGill

Aug 12, 2019, 6:00:36 PM8/12/19
to Dixonary
Balderdash incorporated that with their complete renovation of the game a few years back. I like the game considerably less now that there are Trivial Pursuit-style categories, though I think each of the subsets would be a delightful game on their own.