Round 3177 vote for postrman's knock

Mike Shefler

Jun 25, 2021, 10:20:40 AM6/25/21
to Dixonary
A shorter list than usual, but no less creative. Here are 11 definitions of
POSTMAN'S KNOCK, one of which came from a respectable dictionary. Vote for your
two favorites no later than 10 EM EDT, Sunday, June 27.

1.  [Cockney rhym. slang] a mouse. (After the nursery rhyme "Hickory
Dickory Dock.")

2.  a deadline.

3.  a method of sliding on ice; the slider moving on one foot, and
tapping the ice with the other.

4.  colloquial reference to the Metropolitan Police Act 1839 which made
it illegal to erect a washing line across a yard that obstructed
delivery of mail within the city.

5.  _Genu valgum_, commonly called "knock-knee," a condition in which the
knees angle in and touch each other when the legs are straightened
and often seen in those who are on their feet for extended periods of
time (e.g., a postman).

6.  a psychological illness defined by extreme anxiety about the future.

7.  to make an indentation in the edge of a metal plate, as along a seam
in a steam boiler or an iron ship, to force the edge of the upper
plate hard against the lower and so fill the crevice.

8.  [Sl.] gonorrhea.

9.  a lightship marking the northern end of the treacherous Goodwin Sands
off the coast of Kent, United Kingdom.

10.  [rare] two short, sharp raps given with the proximal interphalangeal
knuckles of the third and fourth digits; [slang] a modern battering
ram or similar device used in door breaching.

11.  [Brit.] the action or practice of car stealing, esp. for the purpose
of joy-riding [rhyming slang for TWOC, taking without owner's
consent]

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 25, 2021, 10:25:58 AM6/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 10 are the only believable ones.

Sent from my iPhone

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 25, 2021, 10:32:01 AM6/25/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Mike,

Should "10 EM" be AM or PM?

Efrem

========================

On Jun 25, 2021, at 10:20 AM, 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

A shorter list than usual, but no less creative. Here are 11 definitions of
POSTMAN'S KNOCK, one of which came from a respectable dictionary. Vote for your
two favorites no later than 10 EM EDT, Sunday, June 27.

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 25, 2021, 10:41:46 AM6/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
AM. Or you can interpret EM as "Early Morning".

Tim B

Jun 25, 2021, 11:53:43 AM6/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen the announcement yet, but since votes have started to come in, I'll vote now.

I'll go with the Cockiney: 1 and 11, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

Jun 25, 2021, 11:55:12 AM6/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I believe my definition more than any of the others. LOL! The following are the least likely, IMO, so I'll vote for them:

2.  a deadline.

6.  a psychological illness defined by extreme anxiety about the future.

Judy Madnick

Judy Madnick

Jun 25, 2021, 11:59:06 AM6/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I think the real definition is missing. 😬

Judy

Paul Keating

Jun 25, 2021, 2:34:17 PM6/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
😉 👍

Debbie Embler

Jun 25, 2021, 3:05:10 PM6/25/21
to Dixonary
6 and 8, please.

Fein, Deborah

Jun 25, 2021, 3:20:01 PM6/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 2 and 6, both of which give me anxiety about the future.

Jun 25, 2021, 6:01:23 PM6/25/21
to Dixonary
I'll take the short ones, 2 and 8, please.

          2.  a deadline.

          8.  [Sl.] gonorrhea.

--  Tim L

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 25, 2021, 10:53:42 PM6/25/21
to Dixonary

I think it’s “Efrem Mallach” time.

Shani Naylor

Jun 26, 2021, 5:48:08 AM6/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 & 4 for me.

nancygoat

Jun 27, 2021, 3:16:06 AM6/27/21
to Dixonary
I'll take 8 and 10.

Nancy

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 27, 2021, 3:52:53 PM6/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I am sure that I voted, but I cannot find my vote anywhere ... so I will award points to #4 and #5

JohnnyB

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Jun 27, 2021, 3:55:01 PM6/27/21
to Dixonary
I tried to vote for 1 and 7 but got farkled ...

Dave (Back home)

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 27, 2021, 4:13:15 PM6/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I have no record of you previously voting.

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 27, 2021, 4:15:16 PM6/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
On 27/06/2021 21:13, 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary wrote:
I have no record of you previously voting.

me neither (but you have now!)
JohnnyB

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 27, 2021, 11:17:54 PM6/27/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
7 - 11, after the winning throws in craps, the convenience store chain, and whatever else.

Efrem