VIRETOT results at last

Dave Cunningham

Jun 27, 2019, 11:27:05 AM6/27/19
to Dixonary

1. a capital "T" [Barrs]  *2 5 (Widdis) (Embler)  (Lodge)   2 + 3 = 5
2. rush, dash, gad [Chambers]   (Widdis) (Barrs) (Shefler) (Lodge) (Shepherdson) (Carson)  D6 - and I had never heard the word
3. a false sage or prophet. [Abell]  NV (Stevens)   1
4. a trading or market center. [Carson] 1 *2  (Shefler)  2 + 1 = 3
5. the milk given by a cow at one milking. [Widdis]  1 *2  (Barrs) 2 + 1 = 3
6. a pressure sensor, esp/ in aerospace. [Bourne] NV  (Embler) 1
7. a hairpin bend on a steep road, railroad, or track. [Lodge] 1 *2    2 + 0 = 2
8. round, pinpoint spots that appear on the skin as a result of bleeding. [Embler]  1 6  (Naylor) (Bourne) 2
9. a ring of light around a shadow caused by reflection and diffraction of light rays. [Naylor]   8 13 (Mallach) (Bourne) 2
10. the point on an escutcheon located midway between the chief and the fess point. [Mallach] 9 11  (Shepherdson) 1
11. to leap or bound high in the air with the legs straight, as do certain antelopes and deer. [Madnick] NV  (Stevens) (Mallach) 2
12. a device for applying watermarks to stamps post-printing, for the purpose of creating forgeries.  [Shefler]  *2 4   2 + 0 = 2
13. the small, engraved metal plaque, usu. bronze,formerly used on coffins to identify the deceased within. [Shepherdson]  *2 10  (Naylor) 2 + 1 = 3
Stevens 3 11 nil

Apologies. My car was supposed to be repaired last week - just got done this morning. For a rear bumber guard - almost two weeks.   Then back to the shop because they accidentally disconnected the turn signal. Argh!
And Johnny wins the Deal.
Dave

Tony Abell

Jun 28, 2019, 2:02:41 AM6/28/19
to Dixonary List

Actually I did vote, but sent the email to you directly instead of to the
group. I don't recall the rules, but does that error on my part mean the votes
are forfeited?

Tony Abell

Jun 28, 2019, 8:24:10 AM6/28/19
to Dixonary List

Oh, and I might add that that error was because I simply replied to the call
for votes, as usual, but doing that no longer addresses the group, thanks to
the ill-advised removal of the Reply-To: header implemented by Dan Widdis as a
test.

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 28, 2019, 8:42:27 AM6/28/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

If I may make a double suggestion here

1 Dealers should not deal from the group - this would avoid the proliferation of crowns we have had over the last few weeks where a plain 'reply' also goes to the group (regardless of what one's email header says as you post)

2. then Dan can revert the group to where we were -

This would mean that (for those of us who have it) there is an accuracy to 'reply' - it goes to the poster and to ensure that stuff goes to the group (again for those who have it) there is an accuracy to 'reply to list'

JohnnyB

Dave Cunningham

Jun 28, 2019, 5:34:25 PM6/28/19
to Dixonary
In Mail - 1 *2

 D7 on the word,   Abell 2 + 1 = 3 points. Barrs still deals with 6 now.

Dave

My software burps if I try not using the "post to group" system, alas.

Dave

nancygoat

Jun 29, 2019, 2:26:17 AM6/29/19
to Dixonary
I have always dealt from the group.  How would one not?  I don't use dealing software.

Nancy

Daniel Widdis

Jun 29, 2019, 4:51:24 AM6/29/19
to Tony Abell, Dixonary List
I'm not so sure "ill-advised" is the right adjective here. As I have said repeatedly, I'm happy to put it back to how it was if there is a call to do so. Your email is the first one.

The current setup was not available to us for many years, otherwise I would have done it at the very beginning. It has a very natural interpretation: when a dealer posts, "Reply" goes to the dealer and "Reply All" goes to.... well, "All". It's a single click either way, and requires no manual typing of addresses, no copying and pasting of emails.

It's even possible, if a dealer chooses to do so, for them to manually add the "Reply-to" when they post: they could have definitions go to a custom email different from the one where they post from.... they could, perhaps, even set the reply to go to the group when people vote, thus essentially restoring the former behavior for the voting round to minimize the chance of private votes (which I don't think are too horrible an error and are easily corrected).

This is how most of the world of email works everywhere except Google Groups, where for the last Decade, the powers that be decided to force a different interpretation on us.

The former setup required manual intervention to reply only to the dealer, and has resulted in countless Dixons and accidental public DQs.

I recognize it's a change from how things were, and it may take some time to adjust; but it's bringing things in line with how things are everywhere else. What sayeth the group at large?

Daniel Widdis

Jun 29, 2019, 5:31:20 AM6/29/19
to Johnb - co.uk, dixo...@googlegroups.com

If I may offer my opinion on the double suggestion:

This would require the dealer to manually add email addresses of the entire membership of the group, respecting the members’ choice of delivery (I am a member on two addresses but only receive email on one, for example).  Except many users want a daily digest of messages; it would be impossible to deliver to these members.     If we want to impose an additional requirement on dealers, it would be simply specifying the “Reply-to” field for the voting round.

Letting users decide where to send their replies, and letting dealers decide where to have replies directed, is the email standard everywhere.  I can revert the group to the way it was if everyone wants it that way, but I think the current setup is far superior.

https://static2.avg.com/2000491/web/i/ipm/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 29, 2019, 5:38:02 AM6/29/19
to Dixonarians

Nancy

its not a matter of dealing software but of mail software

you "have always dealt from the group" but you don't appear to do so - a 'reply' says that the reply goes to your email <nancygoat . at. gmail.com>

whereas a reply to Efrem   says 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> - and goes to the group

JohnnyB

On 29/06/2019 07:26, nancygoat wrote:
I have always dealt from the group.  How would one not?  I don't use dealing software.

Nancy

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 29, 2019, 5:50:00 AM6/29/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Dan

I abide by your decision... I have too many email addresses that I monitor every day (17) and I am happy either way. I am especially happy not to have to live with Goole's interpretation of what should happen. I don't think we need to specify that dealers have to provide reply to addresses

JohnnyB
I just booked flights for a trip to visit my family in Iowa. I do not and never have used google calendar. I have received 4 emails (to different email addresses) from google telling me they have added my flights to my calendar
Wunderbar!

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 29, 2019, 11:44:22 AM6/29/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you.

Judy Madnick

Jun 29, 2019, 12:02:25 PM6/29/19
to France International/Mike Shefler, dixo...@googlegroups.com
It seems that each way has its own problems. When I hit "reply" to Mike's message (i.e., a message meant for the group), I got just his email address in the "to" field and had to change that to dixo...@googlegroups.com. Using the "old" way my replies went directly to the group. However, I had to change the "to" field from the group email address to the dealer's email address when I submitted a definition. My preference would be to return to the old way because that's what I'm used to, but either way I have to change the "to" field, just at different times.

Now that I'm rereading Tim's message, I see that, in fact, I don't have to retype anything but have to remember when to reply to the sender and when to reply to "all." Since "all" equals the group, that does make sense. HOWEVER, with my email program, replying to all results in my message going to the group AND to the sender, which means he or she will receive the message twice. For how many people does that happen, and is that another issue? That's why Mike should be receiving two messages from me, as I replied to all as a test.

Judy

On 6/29/2019 4:51 AM, Daniel Widdis wrote:
> I'm not so sure "ill-advised" is the right adjective here. As I have said repeatedly, I'm happy to put it back to how it was if there is a call to do so. Your email is the first one.
>
> The current setup was not available to us for many years, otherwise I would have done it at the very beginning. It has a very natural interpretation: when a dealer posts, "Reply" goes to the dealer and "Reply All" goes to.... well, "All". It's a single click either way, and requires no manual typing of addresses, no copying and pasting of emails.
>
> It's even possible, if a dealer chooses to do so, for them to manually add the "Reply-to" when they post: they could have definitions go to a custom email different from the one where they post from.... they could, perhaps, even set the reply to go to the group when people vote, thus essentially restoring the former behavior for the voting round to minimize the chance of private votes (which I don't think are too horrible an error and are easily corrected).
>
> This is how most of the world of email works everywhere except Google Groups, where for the last Decade, the powers that be decided to force a different interpretation on us.
>
> The former setup required manual intervention to reply only to the dealer, and has resulted in countless Dixons and accidental public DQs.
>
> I recognize it's a change from how things were, and it may take some time to adjust; but it's bringing things in line with how things are everywhere else. What sayeth the group at large?
>

> ?On 6/28/19, 5:24 AM, "Tony Abell" <dixo...@googlegroups.com on behalf of he...@isanybodyhome.com> wrote:
>

> Oh, and I might add that that error was because I simply replied to the call
> for votes, as usual, but doing that no longer addresses the group, thanks to
> the ill-advised removal of the Reply-To: header implemented by Dan Widdis as a
> test.

Daniel Widdis

Jun 29, 2019, 6:29:00 PM6/29/19
to Dixonary List

“replying to all results in my message going to the group AND to the sender”

Yes, this is somewhat unfortunate, but not a huge problem.  Individual emails have a “message ID” and most email software detects when you receive an email twice, from both your address and a forwarded group address, and it’s transparent to the recipient.  So while Tim’s email account may receive the same message twice, assuming he is using any modern email software (such as Outlook or Thunderbird) he will never know the difference.

It is possible to delete the unwanted duplicate if you prefer (I just did with a single click plus keypress) but it’s not harmful to leave it there.

I agree there are some advantages to the “old way” but there are other advantages to the “new way” … which is really just the “old way everywhere else”.