Round 3084 - CHUMMAGE - call for votes

Tim B

Jun 29, 2020, 4:27:11 PM6/29/20
to Dixonary
Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the
deadline, which is 9 am BST (0800 UTC) on Wednesday 1st July. That should be 4 am EDT on the US East
Coast, 1 am PDT on the West Coast, and 8 pm the same day in Auckland, New Zealand.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

1. fish offal.
2. a collective layoff.
3. a pimple. [Prov. Eng.]
4. a walkway in a tunnel.
5. the dressed weight of hunted water fowl.
6. the siblings of a salmon or trout hatch.
7. a collection of small articles for personal use.
8. the space under the bed where monsters hide at night.
9. waste metal attached to a cast coin, esp. a counterfeit coin.
10. money paid by the richer sort of prisoners in a prison to the poorer,
for their share of a room.
11. finely pulverized white fish that has been shaped and cured to resemble
the leg meat of snow crabs.
12. the bones, fat, gristle, and other connective tissue remains left over
after stewing or brothing meats.
13. a mixture of fish guts thrown into the sea from a fishing boat as a lure
for carnivorous fish such as sharks.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 29, 2020, 4:45:13 PM6/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Two votes for one idea - first and last for me please #1 and #13

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Jun 29, 2020, 4:49:23 PM6/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm...the call for definitions never reached me (and, yes, I check my spam every morning). Very odd.

Eliminating fish, fowl, etc., I'll vote for these:

2. a collective layoff.

7. a collection of small articles for personal use.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Tim B

Jun 29, 2020, 5:01:10 PM6/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
> Hmmm...the call for definitions never reached me (and, yes, I check my spam every morning). Very odd.

That's strange. It's there in the group, posted yesterday morning about 10 am BST.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Hugo Kornelis

Jun 29, 2020, 5:06:50 PM6/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Clueless, I'll waste my votes on definitions #2 (the layoff) and #11 (he
pulverised fish).

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 29, 2020, 5:34:28 PM6/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 8 and 9.

Judy Madnick

Jun 29, 2020, 5:50:57 PM6/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea what happened. Obviously others received it. Was an update sent also?

7. a collection of small articles for personal use.

--  Tim L

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 29, 2020, 9:58:59 PM6/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I think Mr. Barrs had the right idea: 1 and 13

On Jun 29, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Tim B <dixo...@siam.co.uk> wrote:

Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the deadline, which is 9 am BST (0800 UTC) on Wednesday 1st July. That should be 4 am EDT on the US East Coast, 1 am PDT on the West Coast, and 8 pm the same day in Auckland, New Zealand.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

   1. fish offal.

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 29, 2020, 10:45:59 PM6/29/20
to Dixonary
8 and 9 please!

Paul Keating

Jun 30, 2020, 2:54:09 AM6/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 & 13 for me, too.

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 30, 2020, 3:55:38 AM6/30/20
to Dixonary

You checked spam, but did you check your chum folder? 😉

Maybe it’s hidden under your pile of crowns, did you just re-order since we’ve had a rare double-crowning lately?

Shani Naylor

Jun 30, 2020, 5:16:42 AM6/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Something's definitely fishy about this round. Vox pop for me - 1 & 13.

amal...@comcast.net

Jun 30, 2020, 7:55:12 AM6/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... Seems a little too fishy. I'm going to go with 7 and 9.
Alan

Jun 30, 2020, 1:00:41 PM6/30/20
to Tim B

I'll guess 12 and 13:

Christopher Carson

Jun 30, 2020, 1:39:12 PM6/30/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 9 for me.

Christopher L. Carson
65 Longview Drive
Green Brook, NJ 08812

Ryan McGill

Jun 30, 2020, 8:11:33 PM6/30/20
to Dixonary
The first and last strike me as too close to the definition of chum to be plausible, but most of the remainder are too different to justify being so dang similar. A few I can almost remember the real words for.

I'm voting 2 & 7 as delightful inventions that deserve a word similar to chum.