Round 3098 SAURY results

Paul Solyn

Aug 23, 2020, 1:18:15 PM8/23/20
to Dixonary
This would have been a confusing round to score even if I had dealt more recently than round 304. Three players who remembered their Latin thought that saury had something to do with lizards, and while they disagreed on what was lizard-like, I combined their definitions. This had the undesired result of leading one player to vote for his own definition.

Six different players thought that the word was of Scots origin, giving the win to Efrem Mallach, who also correctly identified the sharp-snouted fish.

1
. any of several bitter herbs of the goldenseal family, used to treat digestive disorders or as an emetic in stronger dose
from Shefler, M. who voted for 2 and 10.
Voted for by
McGill, R., Barr, J.,Shepherdson, N., Lodge, T.,
0+4=4

2
. [Scot.] Aside, on or to one side; awry; off from the straight line.
from Mallach, E.
who voted for 6 and 9.
Voted for by
Carson, C., Naylor, S., Keating, P., Cunningham, D., Debbie, Shefler, M.
2
+ 6 = 8

3. (Mining) a flume or sluice in which ores are separated from the slimes in which they are contained
from Widdis, D.
who voted for 5 and 8
No votes.
0+0=0

4
. a forced smile, a grimace
from Mallach, A.
who voted for 8 and 11.
Voted for:
Widdis, D.
0+1=1

5.
Scot. hapless, pitiable
from Keating, P.
who voted for 2 and 8
Voted for: Naylor, S.
0+1=1

6 . a sharp-snouted fish, inhabiting temperate regions of the Atlantic Ocean
from Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Second Ed., which didn't vote

Voted for: Mallach, E., Madnick, J.

7
. a translucent form of gelatin, obtained from the air bladders of certain fish, especially the sturgeon: used in glue and jellies
from Naylor, S.
who voted for 2 and 5
Voted for:
Barr, J., Cunningham, D.
0+2 =3

8.
lizard-like, such as fishes or prose
from Barr, J. who voted for 1 and 8 (no point). 0+5=5
and Lodge, T. who voted for 1 and 11 0+6=6
and Cunningham, D. who voted for 2 and 7. 0+6=6
Voted for: Mallach, A., Keating, P., Widdis, D., Madnick, J., Debbie, Barr, J., Carson, C.

9
. cloudy and dark; overcast
from Carson, C.
who voted for 2 and 8
Voted for: Mallach, E., Shepherdson, N., Shefler, M.

0+3=3

10. punting or jumping pole with a flat end
from Madnick, J.
who voted for 6 and 8
No votes.
2 +0=2

11. scaled
from McGill, R., who voted for
1 and 12
Voted for: Lodge, T., Mallach, A.

0+2=2

12. the Eurasian spotted plover
from Shepherson, N. who voted for
1 and 9
 Voted for: McGill, R.

0+1=1

Judy Madnick

Aug 23, 2020, 1:23:33 PM8/23/20
to Dixonary - Google Groups
Mike Shefler voted for 10, so I should have 3 votes.

Judy

Judy Madnick

Aug 23, 2020, 1:23:52 PM8/23/20
to Dixonary - Google Groups
I mean 3 points

Judy

Paul Keating

Aug 23, 2020, 1:30:47 PM8/23/20
to Paul Solyn
Dan Widdis also cast a second vote, for 5.

Daniel B Widdis

Aug 23, 2020, 1:32:43 PM8/23/20
to Dixonary

And not 4.  (Sorry Alan.)

Shani Naylor

Aug 23, 2020, 4:19:40 PM8/23/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Plus, I should have 2 points not 3.

amal...@comcast.net

Aug 23, 2020, 6:26:09 PM8/23/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Oh well. There goes my 1 point for this round…..

Alan

Dan Widdis also cast a second vote, for 5.

Dave Cunningham

Aug 23, 2020, 7:46:25 PM8/23/20
to Dixonary
I take credit for adding "prose" though. It would not have done as well without it.  :)

Dave

Johnb - co.uk

Aug 24, 2020, 5:11:25 AM8/24/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I voted for #8 because I didn't recognise it as mine! a touch of senility there maybe

Please note that my name has an 's' - and it isn't Johns Barr which is what someone called me when I insisted on my 's'

JohnnyB