Rnd 2985 SPRUND Vote now

Johnb - co.uk

May 23, 2019, 6:04:40 PM5/23/19
to Dixonarians

Here are 12 definitions brought to you at great expense of wit and wisdom by our esteemed panel of experts. Now your job is to decide which is the definition that was submitted by a dictionary

Vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum or group message (in reply to this one), before the deadline..

 4:00 pm on Saturday, 25 May 2019 in the UK
11:00 am on        East Coast USA
8:00 am on        West Coast USA
2:00 am the next day In parts of Oz

New Players are welcome, even if you didn't submit a definition you may vote.

--
JohnnyB
--

1. slang for a standard bearer

 2. to trip on the edge of a carpet

 3. a naturally occurring yeast by-product

 4. [ME]  near to, or next to. (_Beowulf_)

 5. an embankment or dike, especially in South Asia

 6. the degree of curvature in the teeth of a sprocket wheel

 7. [Scot.] a low stone wall separating two fields or crofts

 8. [Ger.] a light, three-wheeled horse-drawn cart with a single seat

 9. a type of ground cover made from compressed mulch mixed with loam

10. [Obs.]  apparently: a component part used in the construction of a vessel

11. a chamber or section of tube in which a valve works; the bucket of a lifting pump

12. a type of fastening for roof trusses, consisting of a metal plate with multiple triangular holes punched in it, forming spikes

Judy Madnick

May 23, 2019, 6:17:26 PM5/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
 6. the degree of curvature in the teeth of a sprocket wheel

12. a type of fastening for roof trusses, consisting of a metal plate with multiple triangular holes punched in it, forming spikes

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Dave Cunningham

May 23, 2019, 6:47:13 PM5/23/19
to Dixonary
7 for the Scots, and 10 for the weasel wording "apparently"

Dave

Daniel Widdis

May 23, 2019, 10:43:43 PM5/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

7 and 10 for identical reasons as Dave

Shani Naylor

May 23, 2019, 11:29:35 PM5/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
They all look wrong to me. I'll take 4 & 7.

 4. [ME]  near to, or next to. (_Beowulf_)

Tim Lodge

May 24, 2019, 6:15:49 AM5/24/19
to Dixonary
I'll fall for 5 and 10.

5. an embankment or dike, especially in South Africa.

10. [Obs.] apparently: a component part used in the construction of a vessel

-- Tim L

France International/Mike Shefler

May 24, 2019, 7:38:15 AM5/24/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 10 and 11.

Debbie

May 24, 2019, 8:19:32 AM5/24/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Before coffee, 7 and 8.

Guerri Stevens

May 24, 2019, 9:41:06 AM5/24/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for 6 and 12.

On 5/23/2019 6:04 PM, Johnb - co.uk wrote:

  6. the degree of curvature in the teeth of a sprocket wheel

Tim Lodge

May 24, 2019, 10:02:47 AM5/24/19
to Dixonary
Oops - for South Afrca read South Asia.

Efrem G Mallach

Tim B

May 24, 2019, 11:15:40 AM5/24/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 12, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Ryan McGill

May 24, 2019, 8:06:07 PM5/24/19
to Dixonary
I'm a square: 3 & 9

 3. a naturally occurring yeast by-product