[Dixonary] Round 2992 vote for FUGELMAN

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 20, 2019, 9:06:53 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Twelve definitions of FUGELMAN  follow. Eleven were created by an expert panel after great expense of time, energy and Internet bits. The twelfth is correct. They have been edited (very slightly) for format consistency and are in ascending order of character count, which might not correspond to visual length in your email display font.

Please vote for two that you like for any reason (such as, but not necessarily, thinking that they might be correct) by public Reply to this message before the deadline that follows the list. If, on seeing the definitions, you realize that you know what FUGELMAN means, please notify me by private email to emallach <at> verizon <dot> net.

1. a grasshopper.

2. [Rare] a scarecrow.

3. an interpreter or guide.

4. one who makes mezuzahs and other Judaica.

5. a wrestling hold from which escape is difficult.

6. a soldier used as an example for those learning drill.

7. a type of plumbing joint between pipes of unequal sizes.

8. [Ger.] a wanderer, especially one with no talents at all.

9. to drive away with a forgotten object on the roof of the car.

10. a cask usually containing two hogsheads, or 126 wine gallons; also, the quantity which it contains.

11. a worker stationed some distance up the line from a railroad working party to give a whistled warning of approaching trains.

12. a novel whose principal subject is the moral, psychological, and intellectual development of a usually youthful main character.

The deadline for votes is a bit under 48 hours from now: Saturday, June 22, at 9 am US EDT. According to timeanddate.com, that is:

and other times in other places. Please check any time conversion that applies to you. That site is good, but nobody's perfect.

New players are welcome to vote. Submitting a definition is not a requirement for voting; the only requirement is that you not know what this word means. Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules .

Vote on!

Dealer Efrem

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 20, 2019, 9:25:27 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll  go with 8 and 11.

Judy Madnick

Jun 20, 2019, 9:31:12 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

4. one who makes mezuzahs and other Judaica (because I couldn't resist it)

and

7. a type of plumbing joint between pipes of unequal sizes (because there should be a name for it)

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Guerri Stevens

Guerri Stevens

Jun 20, 2019, 9:48:50 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I don't see my definition in the list, but perhaps I am forgetting what it was. I know that in the past I have been unable to send messages to Efrem, so that may be what happened.

Guerri Stevens

Jun 20, 2019, 9:56:33 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for 3 and 7.

If you can see this message will you please let me know? I thought I sent a definition but don't see it or maybe have forgotten what it was.

On 6/20/2019 9:06 AM, 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary wrote:
Folks,

3. an interpreter or guide.

Christopher Carson

Jun 20, 2019, 10:02:40 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Guerri,

I saw both your 9:56 and 9:48 voting messages.

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jun 20, 2019, 10:14:13 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Daniel B. Widdis

Jun 20, 2019, 11:03:12 AM6/20/19
to Dixonary
I'll take flying green things and a scarecrow, since I just saw Wicked this weekend.

1 and 2 please.

Tim B

Jun 20, 2019, 11:40:31 AM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 8, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 20, 2019, 1:09:06 PM6/20/19
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary

#6 and #9 please -The latter because I have actually managed to do that when the object was the keys of the car and the former because I was at the time taking a son to cadet training

JohnnyB

6. a soldier used as an example for those learning drill.

9. to drive away with a forgotten object on the roof of the car.

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 20, 2019, 1:18:08 PM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Guerri,

You sent "slang for a person who manages a political campaign," but it went to the whole group. A few other players responded with humorous comments such as "don't pay the Fugelman." I emailed you to that effect at about 10:45 am Tuesday. I didn't see any point in including a definition that everyone saw in the list.

Sorry,

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On Jun 20, 2019, at 9:48 AM, Guerri Stevens <gue...@guerristevens.com> wrote:

[...]

<Round 2992 vote deadline.png>

and other times in other places. Please check any time conversion that applies to you. That site is good, but nobody's perfect.

New players are welcome to vote. Submitting a definition is not a requirement for voting; the only requirement is that you not know what this word means. Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules .

Vote on!

Dealer Efrem

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 20, 2019, 1:19:24 PM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Saw this vote, loud and clear. It has been duly recorded.

Efrem

Tim Lodge

Jun 20, 2019, 2:41:17 PM6/20/19
to Dixonary
I'll try 3 and 12.

 3. an interpreter or guide.

12. a novel whose principal subject is the moral, psychological, and intellectual development of a usually youthful main character.

--  Tim L

Dave Cunningham

Jun 20, 2019, 2:58:41 PM6/20/19
to Dixonary
2 and 6 for their similarity.

Dave

Shani Naylor

Jun 20, 2019, 7:50:09 PM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote 7 & 10, but #9 is all too familiar.....

Daniel Widdis

Jun 20, 2019, 8:42:22 PM6/20/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Regarding #9…. Last 30 seconds of this clip:

https://youtu.be/1rlmuazHsxc

From: <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Shani Naylor <shani....@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM
To: <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 1:06 AM 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

cid:16b774b9c4ddf86717b1

and other times in other places. Please check any time conversion that applies to you. That site is good, but nobody's perfect.

New players are welcome to vote. Submitting a definition is not a requirement for voting; the only requirement is that you not know what this word means. Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules .

Vote on!

Dealer Efrem

Christopher Carson

Jun 21, 2019, 8:15:22 AM6/21/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 8 for me.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

<image001.png>

and other times in other places. Please check any time conversion that applies to you. That site is good, but nobody's perfect.

New players are welcome to vote. Submitting a definition is not a requirement for voting; the only requirement is that you not know what this word means. Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules .

Vote on!

Dealer Efrem

Guerri Stevens

Jun 21, 2019, 9:33:05 AM6/21/19
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary

Thanks.I think I do have something wrong on my end, but I am not sure what it is. If things are working right, I should find my fake definition message somewhere among sent messages, and I should also find you message to me about my  error in posting my fake def publicly. One thing I notice as am composing this message, is that it is addressed to

     Efrem G Mallach via dixonary<dixonary <onary   @googlegroups.com

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 21, 2019, 9:44:34 AM6/21/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Guerri,

Because it was sent to me via Google Groups, it's is in the Google Groups message list, so we can all see it. So is my reply, in which I wrote that Judy will probably award you a crown, and so are the other comments on it - so you can find them all there if they're not among your emails. In the call for definitions I asked that definitions be sent to emallach <at> verizon <dot> net. As far as I'm aware, nothing sent to that address has ever gone missing or gone public.

Efrem

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 21, 2019, 1:16:09 PM6/21/19
to Dixonarians

Guerri

Different mail clients do different things

you (I think) use thunderbird. It allows a 'reply' and a 'reply list' -

for anyone who comes ' xxx via dixonary' as Efrem did this time then 'reply' will go to dixonary.

for  anyone who comes direct then 'reply' only goes to them

That is why we always add a 'reply to my-email at fred.com'

Hope this makes it clearer

JohnnyB

Tony Abell

Jun 22, 2019, 1:45:57 AM6/22/19
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary

I'll vote for 3 and 6:

> 3. an interpreter or guide.

Guerri Stevens

Jun 22, 2019, 10:16:40 AM6/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

OK, I don't really understand, because it seems to me that if I reply to the sender of a message, my reply should go to that person's email address in the message to which I reply. As far as I know that still works for most players here. I don't understand the "via" stuff. What is that there for?

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 22, 2019, 11:54:01 AM6/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Guerri,

As I understand it, and subject to correction by those who know more about this than I do:

If you click Reply to a request for definitions, that message goes to the entire group - exactly as it does when you click Reply to a call for votes. You get both messages the same way (via the group), so replies to both are handled the same way (to the group).

When you want to submit a fake definition privately, you can create a new message (not a Reply!) to the dealer, or delete the To address in your reply and enter the dealer's personal email address there instead. Many dealers tell you what address to use in the body of their requests for definitions. (I did,) Sending a definition as a Reply to the original request will send it to everyone, even if that request appears to come from the dealer.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 22, 2019, 12:20:56 PM6/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Guerri

NB I am talking Thunderbird here - other mail clients may work differently

the 'via' is because Efrem posts the word from the group website. All of us could. But id so then why does a 'reply' also go to the group? - as I discovered to my cost about 4 or 5 games ago the 'via the group' also invokes a hidden 'reply to group' - and that is the way groups work and we can do nothing about it.

Basically we must always assure that our 'definitions' only go to the email address of the person who posts - just looking at where we are sending is not enough if is a 'via' posting because you can't see the automatic 'reply to group'  ***always use the address given in the body of the email *** is essential if you use TB to overcome the group rules

JohnnyB

Daniel Widdis

Jun 22, 2019, 12:33:26 PM6/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Actually there’s something different about how Efrem sends email, than how you send email.

These are the relevant message headers for Efrem:

From: "'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary" <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

For you, John, I see:

From: "Johnb - co.uk" <jo...@john-barrs.co.uk>

Note that the “From” is your personal address, which enable’s Thunderbird’s “reply to sender” option that is available if you have tagged an address as a “mailing list”  (This is not an option in Outlook).

Why Apple does this differently than Thunderbird, I don’t know.  But the bottom line here is that you can’t really rely on the email software to figure this stuff out, and you should always delete whatever appears in the reply-to and manually add email addresses for the dealer (and dealers should include their address in the post for this reason).

From: <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "Johnb - co.uk" <jo...@john-barrs.co.uk>
Date: Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 9:20 AM
To: <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Guerri

https://static2.avg.com/2000491/web/i/ipm/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 22, 2019, 12:37:56 PM6/22/19
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary

Efrem

Not true for TB even if it is true for every other mail client

  • for TB 'reply' goes only to the sender
  • for TB 'reply group' goes to the group

the problem comes when a dealer posts the word from the group. What we see then is a...@xyz.com via Dixonary === if we then using TB, use 'reply' (which is what we normally do) then we see - before we post -- to a...@xyz.com BUT google group rules invoke  a 'hidden' reply to group so our reply gets posted.

It is not a problem if one understands that the nature of modern software is to do WHAT IT THINKS is going to be most helpful for the user. For instance I have just bought a new WIN10 computer. As issued, all software is Apps.and anapp is not the same as the exec. eg Firefox app is not the same as Firefoxny

JohnnyB

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 22, 2019, 12:46:36 PM6/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Which is exactly why I wrote "subject to correction by those who know more about this than I do." Thank you!

Efrem

Daniel Widdis

Jun 22, 2019, 1:35:44 PM6/22/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I think you were closer to the truth, Efrem.  The problem is that email from you doesn’t even have your own email address in the “From” line, so even if you reply to the person, it doesn’t work.

This may be a configuration of your outgoing email client that you can change.

Your advice to always “delete and enter the dealer’s email” is sound advice.