SHABRACK Defs!

Dave Cunningham

Mar 13, 2020, 2:54:21 PM3/13/20
to Dixonary
My wife actually got on her cruise today - wedding party and she has to take care of the kids.   Empty ship.

Here are the defs you all are waiting for!

  1. poorly maintained and disheveled antiques; from shab(by) + (bric-a-)brac.
  2. a sort of Mongolian felt material made from yak wool
  3. a trooper's housing or saddlecloth
  4. a peasant's woolen cloak, with a hood or cowl, worn also by monks
  5. a traditional Jordanian Bedouin dish of lamb, rice and spices
  6. a wrought steel breech-loading cannon, named after its inventor, Herr Shabrack
  7. to set or seal with a mark; to confirm or authenticate beyond a doubt
  8. a small suitcase
  9. a style of smoking tobacco where the leaf is shredded into thin strips before drying and aging
 10. strong, coarse canvas
 11. a checquered black and white scarf that is usually worn around the neck or head throughout the Middle East
 12. a flat quiver holding crossbow bolts which in use attached to the T piece so that tightening the spring automatically loaded a bolt. [Although fast it was rarely used beause it made the whole weapon too heavy for most people]

Kindly vote for two of the wrong ones!

Deadline: Sunday around 2 p.m. EDT -

Dave
\

Tim B

Mar 13, 2020, 3:40:58 PM3/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 and 9, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Daniel B Widdis

Mar 13, 2020, 3:51:27 PM3/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

> Kindly vote for two of the wrong ones!

OK!  How about 1 for creativity and 2 for “a sort of” and “yak” in the same sentence.

Judy Madnick

Mar 13, 2020, 4:07:32 PM3/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
 4. a peasant's woolen cloak, with a hood or cowl, worn also by monks
and
11. a checquered black and white scarf that is usually worn around the neck or head throughout the Middle East

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

France International/Mike Shefler

Mar 13, 2020, 4:58:49 PM3/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I don't see my def  there. I'll vote for 2 and 3 as they are similar.

--Mike

ALAN MALLACH

Mar 13, 2020, 5:08:00 PM3/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I don't see my definition there either, but I'll go with 2 and 9.
Alan

Tim Lodge

Mar 13, 2020, 5:19:34 PM3/13/20
to Dixonary
3 and 8 please.

3. a trooper's housing or saddlecloth

8. a small suitcase

--  Tim L

Debbie

Mar 13, 2020, 7:03:07 PM3/13/20
to Dixonary
9 and 10 please

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:38-39)

Shani Naylor

Mar 14, 2020, 6:48:31 PM3/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote 5 & 10

5. a traditional Jordanian Bedouin dish of lamb, rice and spices

10. strong, coarse canvas

Stephen Dixon

Mar 14, 2020, 7:00:11 PM3/14/20
to Dixonary Group
I'll buy #5 because it sounds plausible, and #12 because it doesn't.

5  &  12

Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

"Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." -- Anonymous

Christopher Carson

Mar 15, 2020, 8:14:31 AM3/15/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I’ll go for VoxPop – 2 & 9.

Chris

Efrem G Mallach

Mar 15, 2020, 12:28:16 PM3/15/20
to Dixonary
I'll try two of the more foreign (to this Yank) ones: 2 and 11.

Efrem