Rd. 3087: Muley results

nancygoat

Jul 13, 2020, 5:02:57 AM7/13/20
to Dixonary
Hi all,

I knew muley was a good word, but I did not expect a D0!  Def 7, polled, hornless was ignored by everyone.  Merriam Webster says it's derived from Welsh and another source said it referred mostly to cows.  What a great Dixonary word.  Of course Johnny knew it and DQ'd, but no one else did.

On the other hand, Efrem and his tractor ran away with it (natural 7) and I'll have to admit his def did sound logical.  Coveted runner up was Mike and his poor farmer (3 natural).  Four players did not vote by the deadline, all the better for me!

So take it away, Efrem!

Nancy

1. a kind of fish like a perch, found in the Nile.
Tim Lodge
Votes: Shefler 0 + 1 = 1
2. A prostitute
Debbie 0 + 0 = 0

3. Contrived or artificial.
Chris Carson NV + 0 = 0

4. [Midwest sl.] a poor farmer.
Mike Shefler
Votes: Bourne, Naylor, Kornelis 0 + 3 = 3

5. when travelling by canoe on a river with rapids, an alternative to a portage, consisting of a muddy slope on which a canoe could be hauled up or lowered down.
Tim Bourne
Votes: Widdis, Debbie 0 + 2 = 2

6. A fissile rock composed of layers of clay-like, fine-grained sediments.
Judy Madnick
Votes: A. Mallach 0 + 1 = 1

7. polled, hornless
Merriam-Webster D0!!

8. a mild mannered person
Johnny Barrs
Votes: Madnick DQ, NV + 1 = 1

9. a clump or grove of trees on a prairie or other generally treeless area.
Shani Naylor 0 + 0 = 0

10. a thick corn porridge made by Native Americans in the Andean regions of South America, from Quechua, mulé.
Alan Mallach
Votes: Madnick, Lodge 0 + 2 = 2

11. A tractor used to move railroad cars in paved areas such as docks.
Efrem Mallach
Votes: Bourne, Shefler, A. Mallach, Naylor, Widdis, Debbie, Kornelis   0 + 7 + 7

12. Term used by actors for a line they keep forgetting
Hugo Kornelis
Votes: E. Mallach 0 + 1 = 1

13. A blow to the back of the head.
Tony Abell NV + 0 = 0

14. a coarse shirt for hunting, often of leather.
Dan Widdis
Votes: E. Mallach 0 + 1 = 1

15.     a modified form of the Greek letter mu, of uncertain sound value, used in some Old Coptic texts
Paul Keating
Votes: Lodge NV + 1 = 1

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 13, 2020, 5:09:56 AM7/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Congratulation on the D0

A very interesting word - who'd of thought a mule was a cow? and what is more a calm cow as opposed to an hornery mule  maybe there was the origin (that is certainly where I came across it)

JohnnyB

Shani Naylor

Jul 13, 2020, 5:10:45 AM7/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Well done Nancy!!

Hugo Kornelis

Jul 13, 2020, 5:14:27 AM7/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
A very smart word indeed. Well done, and congratulations on a very well deserved D0!

Judy Madnick

Jul 13, 2020, 6:10:52 AM7/13/20
to Dixonary - Google Groups
Congratulations on the D0!

Judy

Tim Lodge

Jul 13, 2020, 6:18:00 AM7/13/20
to Dixonary
Nancy

Congratulations on the D0!

--  Tim L

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 13, 2020, 8:49:02 AM7/13/20
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Great word, Nancy. Congratulations on the D0. It sure had me fooled - it was one of the first definitions I eliminated!

New, even shorter, word coming soon. Defs will be due in about 48 hours; votes 48 hours after that.

Efrem

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 13, 2020, 8:51:11 AM7/13/20
to Dixonary

Fantastic word choice and congrats on the D0!

nancygoat

Jul 14, 2020, 1:02:36 AM7/14/20
to Dixonary
Thanks, all for the congratulations.  My husband found muley and insisted I use it this round.   Maybe I should listen to him more often.  (Nah.)

Nancy