Round 3024 - OAKUS - VOTE NOW!

Judy Madnick

Oct 30, 2019, 6:51:26 PM10/30/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Here are 14 definitions for the word OAKUS -- but only one is correct. Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is  Friday, November 1, at 9 a.m. http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Any misspellings, weird spacing, etc., are my fault and not an indication of the accuracy of a particular definition.

Good luck!

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

1. (Latin) one who is quarrelsome.

2. a small dam or weir for regulating the flow of water from a pond into a stream.

3. a mixture of tar and pitch, formerly used to seal the hulls of wooden vessels.

4. a short outline or summary; a synopsis.

5. a morbid bony growth on the pastern bones of a horse, often resulting in lameness.

6. a gray-green sheet or carpet moss.

7. a skin infection characterized by rough, scaly patches.

8. an efflorescence or discoloration of the skin.

9. an old and fruitless branch of a vine. [Obs.]

10. one of the four soil types: clay, sandy, oakus, and chalky.

11. the sap of several species of trees, used as a sealant or adhesive.

12. the American red oak, Quercus Lobatae [common name in horticulture].

13. wallet; pocket billfold.

14. [Oen.] the active flavoring tannins imparted to wine by ageing in oak barrels.

Shani Naylor

Oct 30, 2019, 10:07:22 PM10/30/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 & 8 for me.

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 30, 2019, 10:15:54 PM10/30/19
to Dixonary
Judy -

Not a vote, quite yet, but the time zone converter link in your message isn't specific to any one time zone. Can you confirm that the 9 am you gave us is in your home zone of U.S. EDT, or tell us which time zone you meant?

Thanks,

Efrem

Judy M.

Oct 30, 2019, 10:16:53 PM10/30/19
to Dixonary - Google Groups

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 31, 2019, 2:14:27 AM10/31/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Soon to go away, sadly.  Hello dark evenings.

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 31, 2019, 2:16:52 AM10/31/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I’ll go for 15 and 16, the next two defs not listed since you clearly didn’t include the real one.

Or if that’s not allowed, I guess I’ll start at the beginning and pick the first two that amuse me to any degree, which means 1 (latin) and 3 (formerly).

Tim B

Oct 31, 2019, 4:31:10 AM10/31/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6 and 14, pleaSE.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Johnb - co.uk

Oct 31, 2019, 5:24:35 AM10/31/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#7 and #11 please

JohnnyB

Stephen Dixon

Oct 31, 2019, 5:55:21 AM10/31/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for:

#5 - could be real, since Howard Bennett is no longer with us

#14 - the wine tannens

Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

With the right music, you either forget everything...OR, you remember everything.

Judy Madnick

Oct 31, 2019, 8:07:33 AM10/31/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Very sad. <sigh>

Judy

Soon to go away, sadly.  Hello dark evenings.

Tony Abell

Oct 31, 2019, 8:17:11 AM10/31/19
to Judy Madnick

I'll try 7 and 11:

> 7. a skin infection characterized by rough, scaly patches.

Tim Lodge

Oct 31, 2019, 8:24:26 AM10/31/19
to Dixonary
I thought it must be an acronym - The Organisation of American Knights of the United States?  I think not!

I'll try 4 and 5.

4. a short outline or summary; a synopsis.

5. a morbid bony growth on the pastern bones of a horse, often resulting in lameness.

--  Tim L

France International/Mike Shefler

Oct 31, 2019, 9:03:50 AM10/31/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 8 and 11.

Debbie

Oct 31, 2019, 9:10:13 AM10/31/19
to Dixonary
6 and 14 please

Dave Cunningham

Oct 31, 2019, 10:51:57 AM10/31/19
to Dixonary
7 and 13 his time out.

Dave

Efrem G Mallach

nancygoat

Oct 31, 2019, 4:57:24 PM10/31/19
to Dixonary
I'll go for the really odd ones: 8 and 13

Nancy

Christopher Carson

Nov 1, 2019, 7:19:42 AM11/1/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com