Round 3702 time to vote!

Shani Naylor

Nov 4, 2021, 3:24:28 PM11/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

We have before us a dozen carefully (or not) crafted definitions for our word OG. Please vote for two before the deadline.

1. A shilling.

2. Bland and mushy.

3. An island (fr. Gaelic).

4. One who quibbles over trivia.

5. [Austral. Aborig.] A dingo pup.

6. Odd-shaped rocks used as filler in stone walls.

7. A company of secret and irresponsible advisers, as of a king; a cabal or clique.

8. The name of a castle featured in the motion picture, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

9. Fictional country in the book “Edmund’s Astonishing Adventures in Og” by L. Frank Baum.

10. In Irish folklore, a mythical land lying to the west of Ireland and now submerged in the Atlantic Ocean.

11. Ireland. The younger: used after a person’s name to denote the younger of two bearing the same name in a family, esp. a daughter of the same name as her mother; informally, used alone as a nickname [Ir. óg young].

12. OG was a king of Bashan who was of enormous stature - his bed was about 13 and a half feet long (nearly 3.5 metres) according to Deuteronomy 3:11. The word OG then became used to define the "Original Giant" and has passed into our language as kind of acronym with the meaning of "Original".

The deadline is 10am Sunday 7 November my time (NZDT) or:

Los Angeles, USA                             Saturday 6 November at 2pm

New York, USA                                 Saturday 6 November at 5pm

London, United Kingdom               Saturday 6 November at 9pm

Paris, France                                     Saturday 6 November at 10pm

Happy voting!

Tim B

Nov 4, 2021, 3:42:36 PM11/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
10 and 12, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Paul Keating

Nov 4, 2021, 4:13:38 PM11/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I vote for 1 and 3. I considered 10, which could describe Tír na nÓg (loosely, 'fairyland'), but I only have 2 votes.

Judy Madnick

Nov 4, 2021, 4:21:42 PM11/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
OG:

3. An island (fr. Gaelic).
and
10. In Irish folklore, a mythical land lying to the west of Ireland and now submerged in the Atlantic Ocean.

because they both refer to land. LOL!

Judy Madnick

Daniel B Widdis

Nov 4, 2021, 7:10:52 PM11/4/21
to Dixonary

6 with a smirk at the homage to the rubble-between-walls tradition and 12 for creativity/chutzpah.

Tim Lodge

Nov 4, 2021, 7:15:14 PM11/4/21
to Dixonary
3 and 11 please.

           3. An island (fr. Gaelic).

          11. Ireland. The younger: used after a person’s name to denote the younger of two bearing the same name in a family, esp. a daughter of the same name as her mother; informally, used alone as a nickname [Ir. óg young].

--   Tim L

Debbie Embler

Nov 4, 2021, 7:29:39 PM11/4/21
to Dixonary
4 and 6.  I think someone is confused about their Bible stories.

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. --Hebrews 10:14

Johnb - co.uk

Nov 5, 2021, 5:41:15 AM11/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#10 and #11 for me please
JohnnyB

10. In Irish folklore, a mythical land lying to the west of Ireland and now submerged in the Atlantic Ocean.

11. Ireland. The younger: used after a person’s name to denote the younger of two bearing the same name in a family, esp. a daughter of the same name as her mother; informally, used alone as a nickname [Ir. óg young].

Ann Druce

Nov 5, 2021, 6:17:30 AM11/5/21
to Dixonary

1 and 11 for me.  It’s like choosing numbers for a lottery ticket.

Regards

Ann

photo

Ann Druce
Strategically Digital

signature_1764112074

signature_1644676246

Phone  082 788 8582

Email  a...@anndruce.com

Website  www.anndruce.com

Efrem G Mallach

Nov 5, 2021, 9:34:33 AM11/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with the Gaels: 3 and 11.

Efrem

On Nov 4, 2021, at 3:24 PM, Shani Naylor <shani....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

We have before us a dozen carefully (or not) crafted definitions for our word OG. Please vote for two before the deadline.

3. An island (fr. Gaelic).

France International/Mike Shefler

Nov 5, 2021, 4:54:44 PM11/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com