Round 3111 - ONYXIS - VOTE NOW!

Judy Madnick

Oct 13, 2020, 8:29:48 AM10/13/20
to Dixo...@googlegroups.com
Here are (lucky?) 13 definitions for the word ONYXIS shared exactly as I received them (except for my changing the first letter to uppercase where needed) — but only one is correct. (I did use italics when a definition included them, but I don't know whether they will come through for everyone.) Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is Wednesday, October 14, at 6 p.m. http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Any misspellings, weird spacing, etc., are my fault and not an indication of the accuracy of a particular definition.

Good luck!

1. A blackened protrusion on a tooth [Rare].

2. A condition postulated by the psychologist Jean Piaget, in which a subject’s cognitive development is delayed by an unhealthy obsession with the value of objects.

3. A descriptive term applied to parallel banded forms of a variety of minerals.

4. A hang-nail.

5. A perennial monocotyledon angiosperm of family Liliaceae, characterized by very dark blue, nearly black, flowers.

6. A prepared surface on the face of a building, a rock, etc., bearing an inscription or the like.

7. A rare congenital neurological disorder resulting in the loss of the ability to distinguish hot from cold, or pain from pleasure.

8. A severe underbite resulting in malocclusion of molars and difficulty chewing.

9. An ingrown nail.

10. It is quite impossible to say whether onyxis denotes a mineral or an animal production or a vegetable exudation; a gum resin.

11. Poet. iridescent black.

12. The process of stratifying into layers over large spans of time, as with mineral deposits.

13. An ancient Greek city in Lydia in Asia Minor, known for its temple of Aphrodite.

Good luck!

Judy

Debbie

Oct 13, 2020, 9:05:34 AM10/13/20
to Dixonary
11 and 12 please

Tim B

Oct 13, 2020, 9:29:14 AM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6 and 12, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tim Lodge

Oct 13, 2020, 10:14:49 AM10/13/20
to Dixonary
I haven't a clue, but I'll vote for 5 and 7.

5. A perennial monocotyledon angiosperm of family Liliaceae, characterized by very dark blue, nearly black, flowers.

7. A rare congenital neurological disorder resulting in the loss of the ability to distinguish hot from cold, or pain from pleasure.

--  Tim L

Johnb - co.uk

Oct 13, 2020, 10:23:08 AM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#9 and #13 please

JohnnyB

9. An ingrown nail.

13. An ancient Greek city in Lydia in Asia Minor, known for its temple of Aphrodite.

France International/Mike Shefler

Oct 13, 2020, 10:31:22 AM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for the similar 6 and 9.

Paul Keating

Oct 13, 2020, 12:09:26 PM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
It sounds vaguely geological, and 3 and 12 are very similar, but I
reject 3 because it begins with that darling phrase of the amateur
glossarist, "a term ..." which is a sort of universal joint
enthusiastically used whenever one has trouble phrasing his definition
as the same part of speech as the headword. My other vote goes to
Epimenides paradox, the definition that says it isn't and can't be a
definition, 10.

P.

Judy Madnick

Oct 13, 2020, 1:12:03 PM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Just to be sure —10 and 12 then?

Judy

Oct 13, 2020, 1:20:57 PM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Yes

Judy Madnick

Oct 13, 2020, 1:27:25 PM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Judy

Oct 13, 2020, 7:54:11 PM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Judy – It looks to me like a nail – I’ll go with 4 and 9.

Alan

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 13, 2020, 8:45:31 PM10/13/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I hate to imitate my brudda, but 4 and 9 could possibly have been combined if both were fakes. Then again, they wouldn't have to be; the conditions are definitely different. (I speak from experience with both.)

Efrem

==============================

On Oct 13, 2020, at 8:29 AM, Judy Madnick <jmad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here are (lucky?) 13 definitions for the word ONYXIS shared exactly as I received them (except for my changing the first letter to uppercase where needed) — but only one is correct. (I did use italics when a definition included them, but I don't know whether they will come through for everyone.) Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is Wednesday, October 14, at 6 p.m. http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Any misspellings, weird spacing, etc., are my fault and not an indication of the accuracy of a particular definition.

Good luck!

4. A hang-nail.

9. An ingrown nail.

nancygoat

Oct 13, 2020, 9:06:08 PM10/13/20
to Dixonary
I'll try: 4 and 12.

Nancy

Shani Naylor

Oct 14, 2020, 4:21:22 AM10/14/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Nails for me

4. A hang-nail.

9. An ingrown nail.

Tony Abell

Oct 14, 2020, 4:24:59 PM10/14/20
to Judy Madnick

I'll take 6 and 9:

> 6. A prepared surface on the face of a building, a rock, etc., bearing an
> inscription or the like.

> 9. An ingrown nail.

Ryan McGill

Oct 14, 2020, 4:42:06 PM10/14/20
to Dixonary
 Let's go with 1 & 8.

Daniel B. Widdis

Oct 14, 2020, 5:21:13 PM10/14/20
to Dixonary
Missed submitting, but I'll throw in a few votes for 1 that I believe and 10 that it's impossible to say whether I believe it.